Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    And Babylon 5 ripped off what ever it ripped off, and that ripped off what ever it ripped off so on and so forth. No story base is new and original, the only thing that is, is how the story is told.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Everyone knows warcraft stole the orcs from Tolkien /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Terongor View Post
    Chaos in itself means lack of Order or lack of law(or reason). Thematically only creatures that are chaos themtically are the original demons they are even made of chaotic energies and desire only chaos and act with only chaos in mind before Sargeras.

Thematically old gods are more of an corruption than chaos, also in thought old gods where chaotic evil they had reason and demon before Sargeras had no reason what so every on their attacks expect spread death and misery. Also initself Old Gods theme means nothing about the void nor the void lords only thing that we can even say that has the theme as void lords and the voids is Dimensius and he doesn't have in anyway Chaos or anarchy.

Also I'm not giving them those themes they are their titles
    N'zoth The Corruptor
    C'thun Old God of madness and chaos
    Yogg-saron has had alot titles but heres a few The Lucid Dream,
    The Monster In Your Nightmares,
    The Beast With a Thousand Maws,
    The Fiend of a Thousand Faces,
    The God of Death
    Y'shaarj God of Seven Heads or Rage unbound.

On chronicles itself Arcade was defined as order and fel as chaos.
    Er..the Old Gods are the Void Lords' agents, directly. They are part of the same end of the spectrum.

Yeah I'm aware they all have titles, I'm saying you're taking them too literally. Their titles are strongly influenced by Lovecraft, and the overriding theme is that they are unfathomable, otherworldly, chaotic in that we cannot understand their reasoning, or lack of reasoning, and perceive their will as malicious and evil.

They may not have "chaos" attributed to them on the wheel of traits in Chronicle, but they are nontheless on that thematic end of the narrative spectrum.

scrutinize too many details and everything begins to look the same. now i do not know anything about babylon 5 other than what i have read from you and i will not ever watch it or read it, but from what i gather.. it's basically lord of the rings in space, which is the bible with wizards, which is real life with fish that turns into wine. everything is derivative, we get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CataclismicSunrise View Post
    scrutinize too many details and everything begins to look the same. now i do not know anything about babylon 5 other than what i have read from you and i will not ever watch it or read it, but from what i gather.. it's basically lord of the rings in space, which is the bible with wizards, which is real life with fish that turns into wine. everything is derivative, we get it.
    You're generalizing drastically. As someone who's watched Bab5 multiple times over, let me tell you the specific similarities in the main narrative right now are quite striking.

Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    Er..the Old Gods are the Void Lords' agents, directly. They are part of the same end of the spectrum.

Yeah I'm aware they all have titles, I'm saying you're taking them too literally. Their titles are strongly influenced by Lovecraft, and the overriding theme is that they are unfathomable, otherworldly, chaotic in that we cannot understand their reasoning, or lack of reasoning, and perceive their will as malicious and evil.

They may not have "chaos" attributed to them on the wheel of traits in Chronicle, but they are nontheless on that thematic end of the narrative spectrum.
    Old gods maybe be ripped from lovecraftian stuff but their reasoning are easy to understand a) does this help our release b) does this help corruption of the titans spirit. Old Gods reasonings ends there and use. If there is a logical goal that characters and readers can understand thats not chaotic, H.P lovecraft wrote the old ones that even readers couldn't understand their reasoning, even if blizzard copies old ones it doesn't mean they get the same themes.

Even warcraft mortals creatures have show to understand this like Cho'gall. Chaotic doens't mean if mortals/someone doesn't undertand their reasoning their are chaotic. Chaotic means total lack reasons, goal or order which Old God doesn't represent. Also with the the audio drama the thousand years of war we can see that even Alleria in someway or another could understand void lords reasoning. So void in no way is chaotic in theme its.

Also tell me where the arcade with titans and fel with demons are in any way in bab5(thematically)
    Also if a person servant is killer does that mean their master is a killer? if you are someones agent directly it doesn't mean you do actions are same as your masters are.
    Old Gods are not extensions of Void lords will they are their servants, with their own thoughts. Only one who has being extension of Void lords will is Dimensius and he isn't thematically chaotic neither.

Except they're really not. We already know what they are, why they are there, and what they're attempting to do, how, and why. They're neither unfathomable nor chaotic. They're otherwordly, but in the literal sense. We perceive their will as malicious and evil because from our PoV it actually is.

Deleted
    ***WARNING: MAJOR BABYLON 5 SPOILERS AHEAD***
    Really? Spoilers from a 25 year old tv show?

Made me remember how kick ass Babylon 5 was

Should be idd a spoiler alert, since it is one of the best old time sci fi shows that is, imo sadly ignored by the major public, it was one of the first if not the first to use CGI in a tv show, so no real models like it was used in Star Trek a tad before B5. It also have one of the most clever use of politics, religion, conflict beneath the familiar bad vs good layer.

That said, I often found parallels to B5 and WoW, exactly as you wrote, just makes me appreciate B5 more then WoW in a way. The Vorlons also wanted 100% devotion, even the slightest hint of anything else and you get to be blown up, planet buster wise.

I would say that the biggest difference is that the Shadows, though Forces of Chaos, believe that their path (Chaos and Conflict) is the best way for the other races to evolve. Really, the way they look at it, they're just trying to help. The Voidlords don't seem quite as concerned with helping.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Seems fairly generic to me. You can do the same list for differences really. All stories usually come with their respective packages of archetypes. For this type you just have those who favor one side over another, those who are caught in the middle and those who are trying to break the cycle,etc. These types will be filled by certain characters or groups which if analyzed share the same overarching themes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Except they're really not. We already know what they are, why they are there, and what they're attempting to do, how, and why. They're neither unfathomable nor chaotic. They're otherwordly, but in the literal sense. We perceive their will as malicious and evil because from our PoV it actually is.
    We don't know to what end they want to corrupt a Titan, or what their universe would look like.
    The lore is purposely vague on that end because...well, we can't really conceive of "beings" that are "non-beings" and "anti-existence", as don't they exist themselves? At some points in Chronicle they are said to want to control and dominate, at others "devour all life". I suspect the Voidleria storyline is going to illuminate that they have their own, rather mundane motivations and you're right, move them out of that Chaos moniker. But in general, I think the tag still fits.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    Made me remember how kick ass Babylon 5 was
    Indeed it was!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    Should be idd a spoiler alert, since it is one of the best old time sci fi shows that is, imo sadly ignored by the major public, it was one of the first if not the first to use CGI in a tv show, so no real models like it was used in Star Trek a tad before B5. It also have one of the most clever use of politics, religion, conflict beneath the familiar bad vs good layer.

That said, I often found parallels to B5 and WoW, exactly as you wrote, just makes me appreciate B5 more then WoW in a way. The Vorlons also wanted 100% devotion, even the slightest hint of anything else and you get to be blown up, planet buster wise.
    What strikes me most is how similar Turalyon and Alleria are possibly being positioned to Sheridan and De'lenn...a human war hero, now trying to unite all factions against the greater evil...an older, wiser female "elven type" that knows the Shadows better than him.

Inb4 8.0 -9.0 contains plotlines of smaller factions on Azeroth denying the Army of Light/Turalyon know what they're talking about, satellite wars break out...

We don't know to what end they want to corrupt a Titan, or what their universe would look like.
    The lore is purposely vague on that end because...well, we can't really conceive of "beings" that are "non-beings" and "anti-existence", as don't they exist themselves? At some points in Chronicle they are said to want to control and dominate, at others "devour all life". I suspect the Voidleria storyline is going to illuminate that they have their own, rather mundane motivations and you're right, move them out of that Chaos moniker. But in general, I think the tag still fits.

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed it was!

- - - Updated - - -

What strikes me most is how similar Turalyon and Alleria are possibly being positioned to Sheridan and De'lenn...a human war hero, now trying to unite all factions against the greater evil...an older, wiser female "elven type" that knows the Shadows better than him.

Inb4 8.0 -9.0 contains plotlines of smaller factions on Azeroth denying the Army of Light/Turalyon know what they're talking about, satellite wars break out...
    Alleria can't being seen wise-elven type she is too much tangled with her emotions againts horde even after she saw all possibilities.(and on all of them she fell to maddness of the void and only thing she didn't do on any of those possibilities was hurt her son.) Also we don't know if Turalyon would try to unite all factions against void.

No Horde leader has any reason to even listen to him Varok who is Orchis leader probably only sees Turalyon as honorless coward with how he faced Orgrim Doomhammer after he defeated Lothar. Troll and Taurens would join only if orcs joined. Allerias seem despice Sylvanas on what Vereesa told her and Alleria probably is pissed toward Lorth'themar on how they banished all high elves including Vereesa. So all in all person who is most important to Turalyon despices most of the Horde and rest of the Horde would follow those who are despiced. Also when Turalyon learns what has happened to Lordaeron and what Forsaken has continued doing as Paladin he wouldn't be happy to join forces with them and sametime Sylvanas is the warchief of the Horde.