Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Boy, it'd be nice if they got rid of EC and made voting mandatory. But that'll never happen. Neither sides want to lose the ability to gerrymander.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    How do you figure 50%? I find it hard to believe it’s 50%. I’m guessing it’s like 30% some aren’t able to vote, but I agree with the rest of what you said.

I also think voting should be state and federally recognized and paid. There is no fucking reason why in the world a grown adult should not vote. It’s once every 2-4 Years if as an adult you can’t get your shit together enough to get informed and get to the polls and vote then anywhere a person can vote and doesn’t they should be deported.
    For presidential elections it has been around 50% for decades, it is even worse for other elections. This is a well known and commeted on fact, also easily known since we know how many people live in the US and how many actually vote.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Speaking as an outside observer of American Politics...I think that major problem in the US is the way the Electoral College System works. Electoral Votes for a state should be divided proportionally rather than the current "all or nothing" mechanic. A lot of people would be more inclined to vote if their entire state wasn't predestined to go with one party or the other.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    For presidential elections it has been around 50% for decades, it is even worse for other elections. This is a well known and commeted on fact, also easily known since we know how many people live in the US and how many actually vote.
    I don't trust easily known, I also don't trust the idea 50% of the country doesn't vote that could just because someone said so.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Speaking as an outside observer of American Politics...I think that major problem in the US is the way the Electoral College System works. Electoral Votes for a state should be divided proportionally rather than the current "all or nothing" mechanic. A lot of people would be more inclined to vote if their entire state wasn't predestined to go with one party or the other.
    This has always seemed like the most sensible compromise to me. A nice middle ground between, "The current system is fine. Nothing to see here." and "Let's let California decide every election because fuck anyone else with different concerns."

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    I don't trust easily known, I also don't trust the idea 50% of the country doesn't vote that could just because someone said so.
    Trust math and do some 1st grade level arithmetic.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    That is an opinion, and one I would disagree with. There is no perfect government system, because people are inherently flawed. So we need a system that provides minorities a louder voice and that includes those outnumbered by race, region, religion, or otherwise.
    I agree, there is no perfect government system, because humans are corrupt and ignorant. Honestly, the United States did a lot of things right, I just disagree with the two-party paradigm. We won't move past it, unless we can get rid of the EC. I'm not a fan of giving people louder voices, because it breeds contempt from those who feel left out. I will almost certainly never vote for the winning presidential candidate, so this really isn't for me. There's not nearly enough libertarians to ever hold much sway, and that's fine. But, when the EC leads us to having two very-mediocre main parties, that's a real problem. To put it simply, there's not enough competition within the marketplace. The EC specifically limits that competition.

Deleted
    Not voting is a choice too and therefore it is 'doing something', therefore they would obviously have a right to complain, except...

They have right to complaing about whatever they like, whenever they like, regardless of what they do anyway. Go with those attepts of soft censhorship elsewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Voting is not required, BUT: Not voting literally gives every other scumbag waste of skin mofo the right to put someone in office that's a pile of dog shit.. btw, either one of our latest US options were SHIT (it doesn't matter, either one).

Anyone thinking one of the other was better is full of themselves lol.. But at least I voted right?

(p.s.. I voted for Killary, because I was afraid she was going murder/suicide/burn down my apartment OK?)

Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    Oh? And what if I did go out and vote for Gary Johnson, like my brother did? Would he have magically won? He didn't even come in third place in every state...
    Your brother did correct, in my opinion. You should always vote the one that represents you and your opinions. Not vote "so the other does not win"
    If everyone did that, there would be more than 2 parties in US, like most countries

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Trust math and do some 1st grade level arithmetic.
    Alright let me help you 350 million in the USA 62 million voted for Trump and 65 million for Hillary that’s 127 million about 60 million are not eligible to vote 187 million minus 350 is leaving 163 million remaining that represents less than half.

Feel free to tell me where you think these voters come from. Felons Can’t vote, indigents can’t vote, anyone under 18 didn’t vote, people in prison obviously can’t vote and last but not least those physically incapable of voting for one or another reason.

I’m guessing that the 50% bullshit is made the fuck up. I’m saying the majority who can and do vote already are.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I'm also assuming you get the day off to vote? Because that doesn't happen here, a lot of Americans might have to take unpaid time off to go vote.
    Voting is always on a Sunday.

10+ Year Old Account
    They should, but it isn't a requirement.
    It is if you wish to have a choice in how things could change. If you don't, then you are basically agreeing that things are fine no matter what.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Is criticizing the same as whining/complaining? Everyone has the right to do either tbh but anyone can very well criticize their government, even those they vote in.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Planetdune View Post
    Voting is always on a Sunday.
    In my state it is always on a weekday and there is always a line, the fastest I have ever got to vote was after a 90 minute wait.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    I'm also assuming you get the day off to vote? Because that doesn't happen here, a lot of Americans might have to take unpaid time off to go vote.
    Every sane country will hold elections on a day ~ 99,9 % of its citizens can participate easily. it may be difficult for transportation employes and hospital staff (where somebody has to be present 24/7), but vote-by-mail is of course also possible.
    we in germany do it on sundays. if you cannot be bothered to lift your butt on a sunday, dont ask for results to blame them afterwards

I rarely ever quote Anarchists, but I do agree with Emma Goldman on this one: "If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal."
    "He who lives without discipline dies without honor" - Viking proverb

One vote makes little to no difference, but that's no reason to not to partake. If you're invested in politics enough to have an opinion, you ought to cast a vote to solidify it.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    Every sane country will hold elections on a day ~ 99,9 % of its citizens can participate easily. it may be difficult for transportation employes and hospital staff (where somebody has to be present 24/7), but vote-by-mail is of course also possible.
    we in germany do it on sundays. if you cannot be bothered to lift your butt on a sunday, dont ask for results to blame them afterwards
    Well America is not sane and we have a political party dedicated to making voting as difficult as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    Do people who were eligible to vote but didn't vote in this last election have a right to complain about the outcome? Seems like if they had a problem with it they should've done something about it when they had the chance.
    Well first of all, voting is a RIGHT, which means the person in question has the right to use it or not use it.
    And anyone has the right to complain about anything. Not voting is essentially a vote against all candidates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.