Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up Do you LIKE the Pathfinder Achievement?

Flying being set aside, do you like the actual achievement of Pathfinder?

It gives you a list of goals and things to do in the game, and to me, it is very satisfying completing those goals and activities. Flying is just the side effect of completing the achievement.

I hope in the next expansion, they add more interesting things to complete in the pathfinder achievement. Maybe if it is a part 1 and part 2 achievement, the part 1 reward could be some teleportation device to teleport to key areas around the new zones, kinda like the Argus ports. Then part 2 would be the unlocking flying part half way into the expansion, preferably a year or more into the expansion.

All in all I think the Pathfinder achievement is a fun, goal oriented achievement, and it definitely keeps me doing things in the game

Some ideas that can be included as part of the achievement could be:

- add collect xyz number of new pets in the new zones
    - complete xyz number of heroic / mythic dungeons
    - complete a fun quest chain spanning tens and possibly hundreds of quests
    - get attuned to xyz mythic dungeon
    - kill 50 unique rares in the new zones

etc stuff like that would make it even better and more interesting imo.
    Last edited by Jaylock; 2017-11-01 at 05:28 PM.

No.

Maybe I'd like it if it wouldn't be connected to flying but as it was implemented in WoD and Legion it's just unnecessary bs. Give it another type of reward and I'm here for it.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    No.

Maybe I'd like it if it wouldn't be connected to flying but as it was implemented in WoD and Legion it's just unnecessary bs.
    Flying is just the side effect of completing the achievement though. And as it is now a two part achievement, they can really be creative with what to include as part of the things to do to complete the achievement.

People go to much further lengths to complete other achievements than what the Pathfinder one asks of players. Ever heard of "the insane" title? Yeah go look up the requirements for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Flying is just the side effect of completing the achievement though. And as it is now a two part achievement, they can really be creative with what to include as part of the things to do to complete the achievement.

People go to much further lengths to complete other achievements than what the Pathfinder one asks of players. Ever heard of "the insane" title? Yeah go look up the requirements for that one.
    As I said, with another type of reward I'm here for it. I like challenging achievements (that don't require hardcore raiding).
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

I like the idea of pathfinder. You basically accomplish most, or perhaps even all, the achievements whilst leveling. Seems like a solid plan.

Have I gotten it yet? Nope, lol. I somehow ignored a bunch of content on my way to 110. Am I angry about it? No, I'm not a crybaby. I look forward to going home tonight to begin finishing it because it's not that daunting of a task.

But who knows, I might get side tracked again and do something else. Because it's just flying, it's not a big deal.

No. it forces you to do things you wouldn't otherwise do to achieve something that should be included as a base part of the game.

I give f*** all about reputations without mounts. I give f*** all about loremaster achievements with no mounts
    I give f*** all about exploring that tiny corner of the map that i would never ever go to otherwise, at any point in the expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do, actually. But I do not like that it's gated behind multiple content patches. Flying should be available immediately upon expansion release, but I don't mind if it requires lots of work (work, not artificially drawn-out time) to unlock it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    No. it forces you to do things you wouldn't otherwise do to achieve something that should be included as a base part of the game.

I give f*** all about reputations without mounts. I give f*** all about loremaster achievements with no mounts
    I give f*** all about exploring that tiny corner of the map that i would never ever go to otherwise, at any point in the expansion.
    Again, im not talking about the reward of the achievement, im talking about the achievement itself. Completing the list of things to do. Some of them are quite fun to do at least 1 time, and my suggestion is to include other various things as part of the achievement in the future.

I'd love to see some pet battle stuff, dungeon stuff, rare boss stuff as part of the achievement next expansion.

That's because challenging achievements are here for people looking for a challenge. People who just want to fly dont want to go thru 75milion bullshit to do so, they want the flying they got in 2006, no fucking bullshit. That's why if the reward was different it would be better, we would do it for the fun of it, and not as a gating for flying, which feels completely different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    That's because challenging achievements are here for people looking for a challenge. People who just want to fly dont want to go thru 75milion bullshit to do so, they want the flying they got in 2006, no fucking bullshit. That's why if the reward was different it would be better, we would do it for the fun of it, and not as a gating for flying, which feels completely different.
    Let me say it again: I am not talking about the reward of the achievement, I am talking about the achievement itself is that clear enough for you?

The achievement is basically, "here is what this expansion has to offer, go do it!" and as you do those things, you naturally get the achievement done.

I am not talking about flying at all. I'm talking about the pathfinder achievement.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather just buy the ability to fly tbh. But for what it is, no, I don't hate it. But I do find it
    extremely tedious as fuck with some of the requirements it asks of you.

Let me say it again: I am not talking about the reward of the achievement, I am talking about the achievement itself is that clear enough for you?

The achievement is basically, "here is what this expansion has to offer, go do it!" and as you do those things, you naturally get the achievement done.

I am not talking about flying at all. I'm talking about the pathfinder achievement.
    The very vast majority of players do things for a reward. There's nothing exciting in the game itself, the combat system has zero lvl of complexity, every single encounters are dumbfuck easy, most of that achievement is fucking grinding rep through repeatable WQs. The actions you do in this game are always represented by their rewards. That's why raids feel nice when they open and feel like shit later in the patch even if it's THE SAME THING. That's why we have a shitty pvp system with rewards instead of a competitive design (aka no reward at all). People don't enjoy playing WoW, they enjoy getting rewards in WoW. (I'm generalizing but it's the very vast majority nonetheless.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    The very vast majority of players do things for a reward. There's nothing exciting in the game itself, the combat system has zero lvl of complexity, every single encounters are dumbfuck easy, most of that achievement is fucking grinding rep through repeatable WQs. The actions you do in this game are always represented by their rewards. That's why raids feel nice when they open and feel like shit later in the patch even if it's THE SAME THING. That's why we have a shitty pvp system with rewards instead of a competitive design (aka no reward at all). People don't enjoy playing WoW, they enjoy getting rewards in WoW. (I'm generalizing but it's the very vast majority nonetheless.)
    This is a fucking lie of a statement to be honest.

People do play this game to enjoy themselves and be *GASP* entertained!

I love questing, reading lore, killing monsters, leveling up my character. The rewards are different for all people, and its not just confined to epix and flying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Reward excluded? Then it's full retard.

Doing something for absolutely no reason other than "HURR DURR, YA DID IT" plastered on your account is a waste of time at best. Fuck, why not just make your own and tell everyone how you did a /sit /stand /sit /stand on a mail box for 12 hours? Same outcome.
    Using that logic, whats the point of an achievement system AT ALL? Great logic btw.

One of the easiest and most rewarding achievements in game. I get rewarded for something I do anyway on my main and the reward gets shared with my alts.

Deleted
    Account wide flying should be gated behind achievement.
    Character flying should be gated behind gold.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    I'd rather just buy the ability to fly tbh. But for what it is, no, I don't hate it. But I do find it
    extremely tedious as fuck with some of the requirements it asks of you.
    I get that. Rep is tedious.

But let's take a look at the rep requirement from a story/RP viewpoint; Take the Highmountain Tribe. They love their land and want the best for it. They don't want to let any schmo flying in their skies. They need to know who's up there. The skies of their zone belong to them. So you've got to get well acquainted to gain access to their skies.

Although this can lead into the question; "Then why not let me fly in each zone as I earn Revered per faction. Revered with Highmountain, fly there. Not revered with Valarjar, no flight in Stormheim yet." To which I would answer, "That's not a bad option at all."

That's just how I take the rep requirement.

Yes. You'll be doing the objectives for it anyway as you level through the new content. Being gated like it was waiting for another patch to finish it? That depends. However, I do believe that in future Pathfinders (if there is a future, which I really don't see why there wouldn't be) they should attach a mount for the reward (alongside opening account-wide flying) for obtaining it.

Argument is it's a compromise between people for and against flying... that being said, a lot of people don't like doing the Achievement as it is... Blizzard ought to just unlock flying for everyone after so long into the expansion without said achievement.

This is a fucking lie of a statement to be honest.

People do play this game to enjoy themselves and be *GASP* entertained!

I love questing, reading lore, killing monsters, leveling up my character. The rewards are different for all people, and its not just confined to epix and flying.

- - - Updated - - -

Using that logic, whats the point of an achievement system AT ALL? Great logic btw.
    I'm not saying people are not entertained, I'm saying they don't enjoy the gameplay. It's a combat system that was already old when the game came out, every fights are the same, monsters don't do anything at all. The exciting part is not tab targetting some shit and pressing the same buttons everytime, it's to get something, that's what makes people wet, rewards. Getting rewards out of nowhere like the weekly chest is literally more exciting than doing a WQ of killing 10 mobs. The weekly chest requires no gameplay, it's 1 click on the chest. The WQ involves fighting, by definition you are 100% in gameplay mode during the quest and not while opening a chest. That means the gameplay of the game is fucking boring. Fights should be more exciting than getting an item, but it's not the case in any way shape or form.

Deleted
    Do I like them? Yes.

However, taking the first part of the Legion Pathfinder, we have the following:

Explore the 5 Legion questing zones (Broken Isles Explorer)
    Complete all major storylines in the Broken Isles (Loremaster of Legion)
    Complete 100 different World Quests (Variety is the Spice of Life)
    Complete your Class Order Campaign (A Glorious Campaign)
    Earn Revered with the 6 Broken Isles factions (Broken Isles Diplomat)

If they made it so I had to go out of my way to do something challenging, or exciting, by all means keep these kinds of meta achievements flowing.

But with the above, its not the most exciting in the world when you look at them. Mainly because even if each of those points didn't even have an achievement, or a reward, I am pretty sure a huge chunk of players would have done them anyway purely through levelling and just continuing to play at 110 very quickly.

In short - keep the pathfinder style achievements in game for sure, but just make them a tad more interesting, or make us go off the beaten track once in a while. Something like the Hunter or Priest weapon questlines in Vanilla - make it a solo challenge. Maybe not as tough as the challenge tower (just got the holy paladin one, woop woop!), but enough to make it seem like, "hell yeah, I got flying!"

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by mmocf5062b794a; 2017-11-01 at 05:56 PM.