Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koward View Post
    Except thanks to private servers we know it's not nostalgia.
    All they want is free stuff.
    I've read their forums and private server folks are the most disgusting and degenerate community I've ever seen. I don't want them around my games.
    Luckily for me most of these people aren't really interested in vanilla or retail - they just want to play wow for free, so I probably will never encounter them.
    retired raiding shadow priest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    WoW will never die. They will be back up to 12m+ subs when legion hits, and wont fall below 10m for the duration of the expansion. You can mark my words on that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    Been like that since TBC and the only reason it wasn't like that in Vanilla was because they were 60 levels, a far bigger world, and a much smaller team to balance XP and quests.
    Yeah and no other better MMOs to play. I wanna see how this thing holds with players. Classic servers I think people liked the free option more than vanilla idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Fauier View Post
    Yeah and no other better MMOs to play. I wanna see how this thing holds with players. Classic servers I think people liked the free option more than vanilla idea.
    Could be, I will certainly try them but I think they will have this massive wave of players, then die out like, in a month.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Deleted
    Yep, one of best parts of it is lack of time gating. Play when you want, as much as you want, no time gated shit to encourage you to log in daily, nothing to hold you back if you want to play 24/7.

Azurite grind in BfA is shitty mechanic that discourages me to play it. Same as AP and class halls in Legion, same as command table in WoD.

So much salty tears of vanilla haters in this thread, its amusing.
    Last edited by mmocbeba583bd0; 2017-11-04 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant008 View Post
    yeah the good thing about vanilla is that the level experience is just as fun as endgame. No need to rush, just enjoy the game from the beginning.
    I don't get this. Why in retail do you feel like you "have to rush" and in classic not? What is the difference? You are the one who decides to rush or not.

I played classic and it will be interesting to see if the gamers today have the stomach for it. I mean it sounds great and all. Until you reach lvl 60 and have 40 gold to your name, you spend 30 of that getting all your skills. You realize you need 500 for expert riding and think" it took me this long to get 40 gold!"

You wont be able to sell a couple of pets to get some cash. Also I wonder if I finish my Dreadnought's battle gear set on classic if it will add to my TMOG sets on live? that would be a sweet incentive to get er done on classic.

Back to farming Wildbeast eggs in winterspring i guess lol

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    You have to have a lot of time.

First there's leveling, elite leveling quests included.

Then there's long dungeon runs to get decent gear.

Then there's attunements, even more dungeon runs. And no dungeon finder.

Key to unlock UBRS.

Onyxia Key.

Opening of the AQ gates.

Then there's raid guilds, consumables, reagents, with a lot of time outside of raid to farm soulshard, flask/elixir/food, enchants etc.

You gotta farm onyxia enough times for 40 loyal people to have onyxia scale cloaks.

Core hound leather , flarecore wraps etc.

You gotta farm fire resist items, dark iron ore, many elemental reagents.

Nature resist gear / Maraudon for AQ40 huhuran.

Naxxramas is a complete huge step up.

Oh and then there's shoulder and helm enchants from places that also take dungeons runs, Zul'gurub runs. Spell tomes dropped in dungeons.

PVP is something that takes even more time if you want rank 12-14.

I don't hate vanilla, in fact I played it since launch, and these were the facts.

Raid mechanics were simpler of course, but the huge amount of coordination and raid prep was part of that.

Now retroactively, it could take less time as things are better known/more efficient obviously but I will never compare any private server data.
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-11-04 at 03:19 PM.

It will be fun when all the excitement dies and there will be no one at low levels, making the leveling experience pretty much impossible for newcomers.

Quote Originally Posted by Qnubi View Post
    Yeah, even if you get super bored on your main because you basically did everything, you can still make an alt and experience a vastly different game. The Classes/Roles all excel at something else so you always feel specialized and not so samey as it is in retail.
    yes most of them excel at mashing 1 max 2 buttons .

a whole f...ton of people will be hugely dissapointed .

but its a good thing rose tinted glasses will fall off very soon.

but tbh i will probably play it for a bit to relive the nostalgia leveling slowly from time to time when fully rested.

only this time unlike in vanilla ill level as frost/arcane not a full fire mage gotta learn from own mistakes from years ago :P

cant wait for all the hunters whining how their pets runing off :P god there will be so many people pissed and begging for blizzard to change so many things that they have no clue how annoying were back then.
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2017-11-04 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rauta View Post
    I don't get this. Why in retail do you feel like you "have to rush" and in classic not? What is the difference? You are the one who decides to rush or not.
    And plenty of people playing Classic today, and back then, do and did rush to end level.

It's a choice, after all. A friend of mine started playing the game last year, and he's still not max level on Live.

Quote Originally Posted by heartless8604 View Post
    I did play a lot of Vanilla, and it was a grindfest but what was different was there wasn't any rush or pressure to level and hit 60. It's not like now where 1-109 is nothing but a boring speedbump to the game. The game was alive pre 60 and there was plenty to do and plenty of people to do it with. The focus in Classic is the entire expierence, something lost to blizzard.
    I am sorry but that's a load of crap.. There was nothing different in the leveling experience except length.

There were the exact same stuff to do.. You were just new to them back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I can't really connect Classic WoW with people with little time.
    Took 24 hours just to get into AV...

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Deln View Post
    I played classic and it will be interesting to see if the gamers today have the stomach for it. I mean it sounds great and all. Until you reach lvl 60 and have 40 gold to your name, you spend 30 of that getting all your skills. You realize you need 500 for expert riding and think" it took me this long to get 40 gold!"

You wont be able to sell a couple of pets to get some cash. Also I wonder if I finish my Dreadnought's battle gear set on classic if it will add to my TMOG sets on live? that would be a sweet incentive to get er done on classic.

Back to farming Wildbeast eggs in winterspring i guess lol
    i have this nasty feeling blizzard will put both gold and level boosts into in game shop for vanilla .

just a feeling

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rauta View Post
    Because of time gated grinds at max level and boring leveling experience. 7.3.5 should help with leveling experience a bit by making it scale, so its looking rather good for BfA.

Today's WoW is designed to push players into latest content as fast as possible. Excuse is to allow players to play with their friends.

Then there are bunch of mechanics to punish those who joined later: AP grind, "research", even profession skill levels (missed rank 3 train? good luck making same items as others with higher ingredient requirements, selling for loss), legendaries. AP grind got better recently though, but still it takes weeks to catch up, so players need to level up asap. Of and if you missed flying train you are screwed for few weeks grinding rep for no reason while everyone else is flying. Then rewards available only during X patch, such as SOO wolf, Archimonde moose, Antorus heroic quest mount - too slow to miss train? can't get it later. Today if you aren't at max level, you can't even make any gold because professions have been dumbed down, making skill irrelevant, making old materials worthless, so only max level stuff matters, so you can't afford anything until you reach max level and start playing "real game".

In old WoW lack of catch up meant players could raid whatever they wanted instead of being shoved into latest tier. You could raid MC while other guilds are working on Naxx and you'll have players to clear MC with you as if later tier didn't exist, allowing you to progress at your own pace. Try making raiding guild that raids Nighthold today, if you succeed finding players you'll end up with players who outgear it with catch up mechanics and raid later tiers. Today if you miss a tier, you miss that tier completely, can only experience it in faceroll mode.
    Last edited by mmocbeba583bd0; 2017-11-04 at 03:34 PM.

Deleted
    I can't wait to see which shitty patch they are going to release first.

Classic is full of extremely unbalanced classes and poorly tuned gameplay/rotations etc. and you can bet your ass that people will scream and demand changes very early on, right before they stop playing "classic". Too bad they don't release a "patch 1.x" or "patch 1.y" server... would be fun to see 80% of the population playing the class which was the most OP during that time.
    You will also see a very homogenous PvP, I can tell you that already.

It's also somewhat pitiful that people think the "classic game experience" is somehow different to what you currently have. It's the exact same leveling experience, the only difference is that you need more time to level. But you are still doing the same (well, actually inferior) quests 24/7 until you reach max level.

In old WoW lack of catch up meant players could raid whatever they wanted instead of being shoved into latest tier. You could raid MC while other guilds are working on Naxx and you'll have players to clear MC with you as if later tier didn't exist, allowing you to progress at your own pace. Try making raiding guild that raids Nighthold today, if you succeed finding players you'll end up with players who outgear it with catch up mechanics and raid later tiers. Today if you miss a tier, you miss that tier completely, can only experience it in faceroll mode.
    This is also funny...and can only be written by someone who never raided in classic.
    Have fun getting your raid-roster filled again whenever someone decides to stop playing, or simply switch guilds.
    Oh how much fun it was to equip undergeared players you don't know much about and to end up realizing that they aren't good enough.
    80%++ of the guilds in mid-tier raids/content were stepping stones to get into a guild who is currently above yours in content.

I can't even imagine getting 40 people nowadays, nobody but kids in school have time for this anymore. But I guess if the content is easy enough (and classic surely is mediocre and very easy raid content by today's standard) it's not that important to have them filled.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2017-11-04 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixon View Post
    Vanilla in a nutshell:

If you want to DPS, roll rogue/mage/lock/warrior
    If you want to tank, roll warrior
    If you're none of the above, you better fucking pray you have a healing spec.
    *you are dwarf holy priest

Quote Originally Posted by Kallor View Post
    Classic wow for me is all about the leveling, I'm probably not gonna play beyond that (unless they add TBC later, TBC endgame was much more enjoyable).
    Yeah because quests to kill x, collect y and target kill z will be SOOOO much better and interesting than they are now...

Blizzard was right to resist then and when it's implemented, people will realize that Vanilla WoW was just one of many iterations of the same boring ass quest experience that took longer because of DESIGN, not difficulty. There was nothing hard about vanilla wow by the standards of it's day and even by today's standards it will be more tedious than it will be hard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beckers View Post
    I am sorry but that's a load of crap.. There was nothing different in the leveling experience except length.

There were the exact same stuff to do.. You were just new to them back then.
    That's a lot of crap. World was more dangerous, not because players were noobs, but because it was. It was still dangerous in BC and a first part of WoTLK, can you honestly say that players who played WoW for 3-4 years by that time were still noobs? Heirlooms didn't exist. Handholding quests didn't exist. Quest rewards were poor, badly itemized and few levels behind, indirectly nerfing players. Professions were very useful while leveling, which added to leveling time and fun. Combat mechanics made sure players had downtime, which led to players socializing, forming realm communities and guilds. Quest mobs weren't lined up for perfect AOE, there were dangerous patrols and sneaky stealthed mobs. Player power was much lower, meaning pulling 2 mobs was challenge, 3 meant sure death.

All of that added up to completely different questing experience, which doesn't exist in WoW since middle of WoTLK when world got hit with massive nerfbat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hyphnos View Post
    Yeah because quests to kill x, collect y and target kill z will be SOOOO much better and interesting than they are now...
    Yep, because it was more challenging. Having shiny quest UI we have today doesn't make questing more fun. Essentially all today's quests are still kill x, collect y, but without any challenge.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So what happens in a year or two (or less) when classic is essentially on meme farm? Are they relying on a revolving-door cycle where players will come and go? What about events such as the Gates of Ahn'Qiraj? Will players be SOL again if they miss it? Will they reroll the servers every so often to keep it fresh? Are they going to artificially extend patch cycles to make it last longer or will it be the same as vanilla? What about patch cycles?

It's a lot of questions which I'm hoping they'll answer. It's easy to just bring vanilla servers but it seems like an endeavor with many nuances to take in to consideration. I want to know if they're giving it an honest go rather than setting it up for failure.

It's also strange because we've never had a problem about "beating" Warcraft. Even with droughts there is always something new on the horizon whereas classic has a definitive end game. The more we play the sooner we'll finish.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviant008 View Post
    yeah the good thing about vanilla is that the level experience is just as fun as endgame. No need to rush, just enjoy the game from the beginning.
    lol...

You guys have no idea.