Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    I guess you didn't read my later post which linked to another alternative
    Contrary to your opinion, my life does not revolve around every word you write.

However - according to Blizzard there are currently THREE options: No auth, Smart Phone Auth and the token auth.
    Last edited by schwarzkopf; 2017-11-05 at 06:06 AM.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post

I've done no such thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Caonspiracylela
    I saw a meme about people using the word "literally" incorrectly once so I'm going to use it even when the person I'm replying to used the word correctly, it will show everyone how smart I am despite being a babbling crazy person who believes in lizard cities inside of the hollow earth.
    Yes you have. That was you in post #136, after you edited it from my moniker to "Caonspiracylela".

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    No - I'm implying that a large number of people DO NOT need to buy a smart phone in 2017.
    Those same people probably don't need the extra couple bag slots considering they have done just fine for the past 13yrs..

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    Let's get it straight here: you're the bandwagon-jumper who likes to use worn-out trendy words without knowing wtf you're talking about. You did that.
    What bandwagon am I jumping on? Sanity? Reality? You've got me.
    You also don't know the difference between a theory and something that is a conspiracy that has actually occurred. A conspiracy is simply two or more people plotting to do harm or commit an illegal act. When it has been shown to have happened it's not a theory but is fact.
    Prove that blizzard has explicit knowledge of what was happening. Until then it 100% is a conspiracy.

Blizz can say what they want, but if you think they didn't know something was in the background fettering out data, then you're pretty gullible.
    Even if it were to turn out to be true, you have zero evidence of your claims therefore the only person that looks silly here is you.

Yes you have. That was you in post #136, after you edited it from my moniker to "Caonspiracylela".
    I'm sure you have evidence of such things? Or is this another baseless claim?

Just get a cell phone, stop worrying about the lizard people.
    Last edited by deadman1; 2017-11-05 at 06:44 AM.

Holy crap this thread devolved. This wasn't any kind of potshots at authenticators. It was a serious question given that in the past they had talked about the hardcoded limitations of expanding the backpack size. The fact that it is mentioned on the front page in context with being tied to authenticators I was just curious if they explained in more detail about how they solved the previous limitations and if it being tied to authentiicators was somehow involved in how they were able to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by tavalus View Post
    Holy crap this thread devolved. This wasn't any kind of potshots at authenticators. It was a serious question given that in the past they had talked about the hardcoded limitations of expanding the backpack size. The fact that it is mentioned on the front page in context with being tied to authenticators I was just curious if they explained in more detail about how they solved the previous limitations and if it being tied to authentiicators was somehow involved in how they were able to do it.
    no kidding, and it went off the rails faster than most.

This explains a lot. you can watch the video, it goes to the part of backpack code, the user did give a summary if you cant watch the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    No. They explained the problem in-depth during the engineering panel at the Blizzcon 2015 ampitheater discussion.

https://youtu.be/mx_C7LkB1Q8?t=750

The way player inventory was built by the original team was very poorly designed. Essentially, your currently equipped armor and weapons, bag slots, and bank slots are all part of a single linear array. The array starts with twenty slots that are assigned to your currently equipped armor. It then has a number of bag slots, which would be fine, but at a certain position in the array your bag slots end and your bank slots begin.

The fundamental problem with that is that the programmers didn't want you to be able to access your bank slots from anywhere in the world, and their (shortsighted) solution was to hardcode that position in the array into a number of different statements all over the code to prevent you from accessing it freely. Since it's a hardcoded value, the only way to change it is to manually go through the code and find and rewrite every piece of code that uses it. There are even places in the code where programmers used it in functions involving math logic, because it was treated as a constant value.

That's not to say it can't be fixed. It would just be a fairly difficult and QA-intensive project that would take resources (time, money, employees) that could be better used elsewhere. After all, there are other, easier solutions to the problem, such as reclaiming obsolete slots (ammo, relic, keyring), implementing alternative storage solutions (void storage, collection manager, currencies) and reducing clutter so that players won't have to use as many of the slots (quest items, dynamic stats, larger item stacks).

Since they're linking expanded backpack slots to Authenticators, it's probably that someone somewhere in the company did a cost-benefit analysis and determined that the savings from having fewer CS and fraud issues with hacked accounts would outweigh the costs of having the engineering team fix the backpack issues.

Battle for Azeroth is honestly also looking pretty feature-light as far as expansions go, so they might have more wiggle room to address other long-standing issues with the codebase.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    nobody cares. you have a pc, get winauth or be quiet.
    You must have missed the word authenticator in my post.

I have the physical authenticator I bought in 2009. Still works! Wonder when it will finally die

Isn't it only $1.95 for the physical authenticator?

Updated:

It is $6.50. Still, not too much.
    Last edited by Rudkobing; 2017-11-05 at 08:20 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    Isn't it only $1.95 for the physical authenticator?
    You can also get the free mobile app and/or WinAuth on Windows. WinAuth is obviously not as secure as having the authenticator on a disconnected device, but it's still more secure than not having any two-factor authentication at all.

Deleted
    I already have an authenticator, it just seemed like a really odd comment. They always said increasing the original backpack size was difficult code wise or something because of it being part of the old code. Just didn't understand the connection they're making to authenticators being part of it. If it's just an incentive thing then that's fine I guess, just seemed like a really odd connection based on the Q&A.
    Hijacked accounts cost their support a lot of money. People have been asking for larger backpack forever.
    They figured this would be a good way to get those who are ignorant about their account security to listen.

Good move.

- - - Updated - - -

Evidence was posted. The fact is we've been spied on through WoW and other games, and it's not a "theory".

Literally.

Now if you're going to shitpost by ascribing my name to something I haven't posted, that's trolling and baiting and you should be banned.
    Why are you posting here? This site spies on you as well, you do know that?
    The MMOC magic tracking cookie will send black silent choppers hovering above your house every time you post.

Literally.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    according to mmo-c there are people who don't even have a mobile phone.
    They're soon claiming they don't even have a PC because it's spying on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzony View Post
    Hell, SWTOR gives away free premium currency for each month if you have an authenticator attached, and it is a big word, we're talking about moneygrab lvl 999 SWTOR.
    I know, I haven't played swtor in years and i logged on last month just to see if anything had changed, I had like 7 thousand cartel coins lol

10+ Year Old Account
    People with authenticator conspiracy scare are making me laugh.

Might as well go ahead and cut your internet cable, pull out sim card from the phone and burn it in fire, so the Oh so important you won't be tracked by evil Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    https://gear.blizzard.com/us/catalog...=authenticator

Again, keep showing the world how much of an ignorant fool you are.
    So edgy, so cool. Teen angst is the worst, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    What was that first part again? Oh right, some people DO pay for it. Thus it is a paid-for option.

It doesn't matter one fucking bit that some OTHER people don't have to pay for it. SOME do. That still makes it a paid-for option.

Seriously, how fucking obtuse are these god damned idiots?
    Do everyone a favor and go the fuck away

Quote Originally Posted by vandalhart View Post
    I have the physical authenticator I bought in 2009. Still works! Wonder when it will finally die
    Same here. Though I have been having to push the button harder to get my code lately. I wonder if that's a sign the battery's going.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

No game company's ToS overrides the Constitution, Skippy.
    Ohsweet Jesus. What part of the constitution does it violate? I'll wait while you read through the entire thing to realize AT NO FUCKING POINT DOES THE CONSTITUTION SAY SHIT ABOUT THIS. Seriously, disliking something does not make it unconstitutional. I repeat, you no likee ≠ unconstitutional.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyOcelot View Post
    Hijacked accounts cost their support a lot of money. People have been asking for larger backpack forever.
    They figured this would be a good way to get those who are ignorant about their account security to listen.

Good move.

- - - Updated - - -

Why are you posting here? This site spies on you as well, you do know that?
    The MMOC magic tracking cookie will send black silent choppers hovering above your house every time you post.

Literally.

- - - Updated - - -

They're soon claiming they don't even have a PC because it's spying on them.
    Man, look at his profile pic and his location. The man is a walking conspiracy theory. He's like one of those crazy people living in the middle of the woods with hijacked wifi wearing tinfoil over his head and shooting anything that moves in the woods cause they're either aliens or government men in black there to wipe his mind because he knows too much. Boy, I had fun writing that.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Again, talking from your ass before you bothered to read the info or other articles on this is not a good argument.
    You would actually be the one talking out of your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier of Lordaeron View Post
    Talk about being paranoid as fuck lmfao.
    Talk about being naive as fuck lmao