Page 1 of 124
... LastLast

Blood elves, high elves and what could have been

I made a topic in the Blizzard official forums about Void Elves, High Elves and "what could have been", making three alternate possible paths Blizzard could have taken instead. Of course, I don't expect Blizzard to change their plans, I just want to spark discussion about the issue. Give a look and reply. Also thumb it up if you like the ideas there.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20759181851#1

Void elves, high elves and what could have been

Hi there.

As many of you are aware, the announcement of "void elves" among allied races in BfA has been a controversial topic in the comunity. Since then, we have discovered little about them besides that they are blood elves who were exiled for dabbling into the void magic.

The big controversy was sparked because the addition of this "crack elite squad of elves" as a new race went against the 12-year-long requests of high elves being added to the Alliance. Unlike the void elves, who never existed in lore before (and still haven't been introduced in canon), we have high elves helping the Alliance since vanilla, with strong presence of them in expansions like WotLK, MoP and Legion.

When asked about high elves, Blizzard and the opposers of the idea in the comunity will usually bring the following reasons to not add them:

- They are "too alike" blood elves (or "they are blood elves")
    - They are too few in number

The addition of void elves show that both excuses do not matter. If high elves, which number at least 1/9 of the blood elf population, are too few in number, how can a "crack elite squad" of exiled blood elves be more numerous?

And, besides being goth, how can you say they are different enough form blood elves? They are exiled blood elves, just like the high elves were exiled by their kin.

The reason people are rejecting void elves and still asking high elves is simple: Blizzard has no idea WHY we wanted high elves in the first place. High elves, at their core, are defined (and separated from Blood Elves) by the fact that they rejected the teachings of Kael'thas. Despite overwhelming odds, they chose to keep their integrity and reject the seduction of power. They were exiled for it and yet survived nonetheless. Their core is, thus, defined by a strong morality, a heroic struggle to win over their crippling addiction throught sheer willpower.

That's something that the void elves completely lack. They are, instead, elves that were seducted by forbidden power and fell from grace. This is, first and foremost, the reason we reject them. Yes, their vampire-like appearance is another problem, but the only reason they look like that is because they dabbled into forbidden magic in first place. High elf fans will reject most ideas of playing elves that have fallen into use of fel, death or void magics.

And here's the real problem: if Blizzard wished to make high elves different from blood elves, they could have done it. Just like they can pull a new "void elf" race out of nowhere, they can make the high elves unique in their own way. As long as that moral core is kept and their appearance is somewhat familiar, I think most high elf fans would accept such changes eventually.

Why hasn't Blizzard done that? We had the Silver Covenant active since WotLK. They were the main Alliance faction in Dalaran and Argent Tournament; They led the Purge of Dalaran and the Alliance efforts in Isle of Thunder; They helped the Suramar Insurrection. And yet, Blizzard never tried to seize those opportunities to take them further apart from the blood elves. That's the mistake!

In the following paragraphs I'll present three different ideas I had, in a matter of a few minutes, of how it could be done. I do not expect Blizzard to change their plans, not after the announcement at Blizzcon. My purpose here is just to spark discussion of what could have been.

------------------------------------

Basic Premise: All the following propositions keep the core of the high elves intact, while also changing their appearance and culture slightly. In addition, all the following propositions follow the same premise:

In the aftermatch of Legion, the Silver Covenant decides to leave Dalaran. With the Horde once again allowed into the city, the high elves fear another betrayal, and an attack against the city could spell doom for their entire race. They are now settling somewhere else, but, without access to the artifacts of Dalaran, they are feeling again the effects of their magic addiction, and search for new ways to cure it once and for all.

Notice: Each of the propositions has a nickname for the final product ("Storm elves", for instance). This is not a new name for the race. They'd keep calling themselves "high elves". The nickname is just an easy way to picture their new theme and how their appearance would change.

Proposition 1: The Storm Staff of Antonidas ("Storm Elves"): Back in MoP, blood elves got access to the powers of anima (blood), while the Silver Covenant helped Jaina create the Storm Staff of Antonidas, with the powers of vita (lightning). We didn't see the Storm Staff since then. What if... Jaina worked with the Silver Covenant to study the Storm Staff?

Now, away from Dalaran, the Silver Covenant use the Storm Staff as a new power source.

The high elves that pass a ritual involving the staff are cured of their magical addition. Now, they have lightning eyes and tatoo-like lightning marks over their skin. They also get new skin and hair colors (in addition to some of the normal ones), as well as access to the shaman class.

Their crest becomes a blue thunderbird rising from a lightning bolt.

Proposition 2- Azerite as a power source ("Celtic Elves"): With azerite now available, they find out a way to use it to feed their addiction. Due to its raw power, small quantities of dusted azerite are enough to create an arcane paint, which they then apply to their bodies.

Picture them like "celtic warrior" elves, with colored warpaint patterns over their faces and bodies (like Alleria's warpaint). Imagine that their skin tones are all very light/pale, and you actually choose paint pattern and colors (blue, green, violet, golden), making them easy to differentiate from blood elves.

Now, with both Alliance and Horde seeking more azerite, the high elves help the Alliance to secure some of it for themselves.

(A small note: the idea about warpaint over their bodies is a small callback to Warcraft 2, in which upgraded elven rangers had colorful painting patterns over their faces. This idea just makes that distinction an imposed cultural necessity for the high elves.)

Their new crest would be another callback to Warcraft 2: a silver unicorn over a blue flag.

Proposition 3- Seeking the night elves ("Silver Elves"): During the Insurrection of Suramar, the Silver Covenant fought side by side with the night elves. While they distrusted each other initially, their mutual hatred for the blood elves and their allegiance to the Alliance made they see they are not so different anymore.

As the hight elves are seeking a new land to settle in, the night elves, interested in helping them overcome their addiction, offer them a moon well. Feeding from it, the high elves become somewhat closer to their kaldorei kin. Their skins get paler, their hair colors lighter, their eyes glow brighter. They vary from a some traditional skin and hair colors to a many new ones not available to blood elves. They also start tatooing their faces like night elves. Plus, this proposition could open them to the druid class.

Now, with Teldrassil burned, the high elves decide to help their new allies with their rangers and magical powers.

Their crest is now a silver fenix over a blue background.

Conclusion: These ideas are just examples of how Blizzard could fulfill the desire for high elves while also making them different from their blood elf cousins. Again, I do not expect Blizzard to change their plans. If anything, they'll probably allow a few "somewhat normal" skin and hair colors for the void elves, but I'd like to start a discussion anyway.

Which of those ideas would you like to be done in the game? Do you have other ideas of what could have been? What do you think of the void elves? Why do you like high elves?

Like this topic to call Blizzard's attention to it.
    Whatever...

Check the interview by Jessie Cox with Ion Hazzikostas during Blizzcon while playing the BfA demo. Ion said that High Elves are almost non existent because majority became Blood Elves: youtu.be/DkdTS_8Y61Q?t=17m59s

Blizzard can always came up with or retcon something.
    Last edited by ForTheLegion; 2017-11-17 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QWiKu View Post
    Check the interview by Jessie Cox with Ian Hazzikostas during Blizzcon while playing the BfA demo. Ian said that High Elves are almost non existent because most of them became Blood Elves. I'm at work so I cannot send you the actual link to the Twitch video.
    So, a "crack squad of elite elves" can be a race, but a race that is 1/9 of the blood elves (at least!) can't?
    Whatever...

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    So, a "crack squad of elite elves" can be a race, but a race that is 1/9 of the blood elves (at least!) can't?
    as someone that has always wanted High Elves, they aren't 1/9th of them. Of the Population of Silvermoon that got destroyed by Arthas, a small population survived. of that population an even tinier fraction of them remained High Elves when the Sunwell/kael'thas incidents happened.

Though either way I always found it complete bullshit the population excuse, since Goblins are a small surviving group of a nearly completely wiped out Cartel from Kezan exploding. Draenei are a tiny population of Eredar that both escaped and managed to survive for 1000's of years. Gilneas was wiped out. Dark Spear Trolls come from 1 tiny Island. Gnomes lost their entire Home and much of their race to lepers.

There are quite a lot of small population playable races.

soo what, you just want to be able to roll BE on alliance and have blue eyes? seems boring.
    Rejoice, For very bad things are about to happen...

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    as someone that has always wanted High Elves, they aren't 1/9th of them. Of the Population of Silvermoon that got destroyed by Arthas, a small population survived. of that population an even tinier fraction of them remained High Elves when the Sunwell/kael'thas incidents happened.

Though either way I always found it complete bullshit the population excuse, since Goblins are a small surviving group of a nearly completely wiped out Cartel from Kezan exploding. Draenei are a tiny population of Eredar that both escaped and managed to survive for 1000's of years. Gilneas was wiped out. Dark Spear Trolls come from 1 tiny Island. Gnomes lost their entire Home and much of their race to lepers.

I'm just avoiding going into details. There's enough data to consider the high elves a lot more numerous in relation to the blood elves:

- 10% survivors, of which 90% became belves, may not take into account high elves living away from Quel'thalas at the time. If there was even 1% high elves living in other nations, then their post-Scourge population just doubles.
    - The blood elf numbers do not count all those blood elves that died fighting the Scourge after Kael came for them, nor the ones that died to Garithos, then in Outland, then became felbloods. All those events happened after they were christened "blood elves", thus the 9-to-1 ratio may be off.
    - Many high elves were blood elves at some point. It was only after Rommath returned with the new Illidan teachings that many elves started to rebel and were exiled. As such, some of the 9-to-1 ratio may have switched sides.
    - The elves in Outland do not count towards the original "10% survivors".

And other factors that would increase population. Not to mention asspulls: if Blizzard can create void elves out of nowhere, then it's just as easy to make a hidden village of High elves be found now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deadmedic View Post
    soo what, you just want to be able to roll BE on alliance and have blue eyes? seems boring.
    Thank you for not reading anything I wrote. Why did you bother to reply is beyond me.
    Whatever...

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmedic View Post
    How is it any more or less boring than the way you choose any other class?

Thank you for not reading anything I wrote. Why did you bother to reply is beyond me.

oh i read it, there was a bunch of made up stories about how they COULD make a bunch of new races out of any idea, the core of your issue though, is that we got like 4 different kinds of elves now, and you dont like any of them, you want the pale ones with blue eyes, that for some reason are cooler than any idea blizzard actually has come up with and your trying to come up with ideas to make that compelling from a game perspective. still tho, the your biggest gripe is you cant roll a highelf.
    Rejoice, For very bad things are about to happen...

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    It always comes back to Blood elves being added back in Burning crusade, the root of the issue for so many.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post

Yea exactly High Elves got decimated and basically 10% of the population was left, 1% if that of that 10% remained high elves.
    Last edited by maccajoe; 2017-11-07 at 06:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    I just love how blizzard handled this situation. They gave ally some deranged blood elves out of pity and with that locked them from ever getting "real" high elves. Well played blizz.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    You people got high elfs move on.

I'm just avoiding going into details. There's enough data to consider the high elves a lot more numerous in relation to the blood elves:

- 10% survivors, of which 90% became belves, may not take into account high elves living away from Quel'thalas at the time. If there was even 1% high elves living in other nations, then their post-Scourge population just doubles.
    - The blood elf numbers do not count all those blood elves that died fighting the Scourge after Kael came for them, nor the ones that died to Garithos, then in Outland, then became felbloods. All those events happened after they were christened "blood elves", thus the 9-to-1 ratio may be off.
    - Many high elves were blood elves at some point. It was only after Rommath returned with the new Illidan teachings that many elves started to rebel and were exiled. As such, some of the 9-to-1 ratio may have switched sides.
    - The elves in Outland do not count towards the original "10% survivors".

And other factors that would increase population. Not to mention asspulls: if Blizzard can create void elves out of nowhere, then it's just as easy to make a hidden village of High elves be found now.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure its possible for blizzard to make some random high elf village, but honestly having a group of blood elfs start dabbling with void magic and getting exiled makes far more sense than a random village. Blood elves are known to be addicted to magic its only natural a group of them eventually found the void, its also only natural that after the restoration of the sunwell and the BE's trying to turn over a new leaf they are very weary of these void magic elves and as a result kick them out.No where else to go and hearing the return of alleria who know practices void magic....... you know the rest.

I mean its pretty obvious you just want High elves in the Alliance, i dont at all.

I would actually prefer if they changed high elves to something different like you suggest or reunite them with Silvermoon and be done with this whole issue.
    Now they once again left High elves untouched and people will again demand them for years.

Void elves are probably final nail in the coffin for playable high elves though, so I guess that's it.

I think that blizzard was really trying to play with the Light vs Void fantasy they have been building since chronicle here more than anything and not to deliver the high elven fantasy, to be honest.

Well written OP. Here's what I challenge you to discuss with me.

Concerning gameplay, faction playerbase equality and lore, would you be able to write up a reason for Dark Iron Dwarf to be a Horde race?

Because Dark Iron Dwarves and Dwarves are much more racially separated from high elves and blood elves.

People don't clamor for Horde Dwarves because Dwarves, despite being featured in literally every fantasy MMO - are never popular whereas elves are.

This is the core of my reasoning against high elves on the Alliance. People want them because elves have an insatiable playerbase. It's never enough lore, racials are never strong enough, they never have enough classes..

Many have sought to harness the corruptive magic of the _____. Most who tried have fallen into madness. Determined to use this power for the good of Azeroth, ELVEN CHARACTER is the first mortal to succeed at defying the EVIL MAGIC TEMPTATIONS. Coming to the aid of a group of her kin who nearly gave in to the darkness, ELVEN CHARACTER has vowed to train these ELVES to control the ______ within them and pledge their newfound powers to the FACTION.

The introduction text somehow reminds me of something...

Wasn't there something about there being more allied races to come? Maybe high elves are among them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I just love how blizzard handled this situation. They gave ally some deranged blood elves out of pity and with that locked them from ever getting "real" high elves. Well played blizz.
    Blizzard handled it fine, I have plenty of friends who wished for High Elves in the Alliance for years, and they are VERY satisfied with Void Elves. Because they know their lore, and they understand that Void Elves, are freaking Blood/High Elves.
    I bet my left hand that they will get a normal skin color. Demon Hunters and Death Knights also have such an option so I guess why not for Void Elves. Alleria Windrunner will be the leader of the faction, and from what we've seen so far, their eyes are going to be blue, or at least close to it.
    How can people still not be pleased? They should be thankful.

The bloody game director of WoW himself says that Blood Elves are High Elves, and people still say otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Many have sought to harness the corruptive magic of the _____. Most who tried have fallen into madness. Determined to use this power for the good of Azeroth, ELVEN CHARACTER is the first mortal to succeed at defying the EVIL MAGIC TEMPTATIONS. Coming to the aid of a group of her kin who nearly gave in to the darkness, ELVEN CHARACTER has vowed to train these ELVES to control the ______ within them and pledge their newfound powers to the FACTION.

The introduction text somehow reminds me of something...
    Remember back when night elves and blood elves had the most complex and engaging lore in the Warcraft series?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Theoris View Post
    Wasn't there something about there being more allied races to come? Maybe high elves are among them.
    More elves? /puke