launch date speculation

ive read and watched videos about it will take somewhere around 2 years, i say it will be released to patch up the massive content drought we'll have until Battle for azeroth

15+ Year Old Account
    As they have all the content already, it shouldn't take long at all to finish. Only improvements and some other changes. No need to develop anything new!

I think there's gonna be a long ass content drought again, 8-10 months in Argus. So my guess is they're gonna release classic in 4-7 months to give people something "new" to do while waiting.

If there won't be content gap, then classic would make sense to be released after the next expansion.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Classic is a long way off- they're still hiring the team for it, and haven't even started discussions on what build of Classic to create, etc.

The release of Classic isn't related to BfA.

They're hiring an entirely separate team for it. I'd expect it to be at least a year out, if not more, and I expect it to release after BfA.

Deleted
    Never, it's a carrot on a stick.

It's a sick advertisement scheme to gain interest in players hoping for something that will never deliver.

Deleted
    I don't know when it's coming out, but if there isn't a 2 month gap between NA and EU release, then it just isn't an authentic Vanilla experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    Classic is a long way off- they're still hiring the team for it, and haven't even started discussions on what build of Classic to create, etc.

The release of Classic isn't related to BfA.

They're hiring an entirely separate team for it. I'd expect it to be at least a year out, if not more, and I expect it to release after BfA.
    This.

They're basically starting from scratch with the idea of it. They only announced it because they wanted people to know that yes they were finally doing it.

Deleted
    I believe the one thing that will determine the length of development the most is hiring. They can't really do it without people. And how long will it take before they find what they are looking for? The recruitment process might take several months in itself. And further how big is the team? Implementing Classic might not sound like such a huge undertaking. What if the "classic studio" is just 5 people? We don't know and there are many factors (and factors we don't even know) that play part in this.

Around the time Game of Thrones final season comes out!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tanthoris View Post
    This.

They're basically starting from scratch with the idea of it. They only announced it because they wanted people to know that yes they were finally doing it.
    Just to be clear. They don't have to "create" classic.

It's already made. They have every single iteration of the game (every version\patch) archived. They just have to decide on which to use, tweak accordingly (bug fix, incompatibilities, etc), bnet integration to the new version, and shit like that and it's good to go.

Not to say it will be fast, all of that will require time and effort, but its not like they have to develop the game again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    I think there's gonna be a long ass content drought again, 8-10 months in Argus.
    Define content drought if you mean no new raid and/or dungeon then yes, we'll mostlikely see a content drought.

There will be story patches between 7.3.5 and BfA, this has already been confirmed.
    Sure it won't be anything huge but it'll still give you something new to explore and do for a day or so whenever they come out.

If you consider the first a content drought then we're in a content drought right now.
    I logged once everything had unlocked in Argus and did everything related to it in 2 days including the killing all the rares and finding all the treasures and I did the dungeon on all difficulties but since there's nothing I can get from there that is an upgrade there's nothing left for me to do except max out my crucible.

It could be 6 months with a collectors box ... or 12 months included in the latest retail ... or later

Blizzard is losing money every day that pep play elsewhere ... they know this, so I'm leaning towards 6 or 12 months

The 6 month idea - Blizzard releases Legacy as a $200 box set summer 2018 .... when it comes out for BOF Fall 2018, it's free with the xpac.

Blizzard double dibs. I think it's acceptable in this case. Obviously there is a sub.
    Last edited by Vineri; 2017-11-08 at 05:58 AM.

Its going to launch within ~month of BFA, on either side.

Quote Originally Posted by Caketime View Post
    I believe the one thing that will determine the length of development the most is hiring. They can't really do it without people. And how long will it take before they find what they are looking for? The recruitment process might take several months in itself. And further how big is the team? Implementing Classic might not sound like such a huge undertaking. What if the "classic studio" is just 5 people? We don't know and there are many factors (and factors we don't even know) that play part in this.
    They are hiring former Nostralrius devs. As well as others devoted to Legacy. They are not hiring "nobodies". They stated they are only hiring people with a demonstrated passion for Vanilla, to work on Vanilla.

Don't believe me? They offered 2 Nost French programmers a job in the Eurogamer interview.

Q3 2019 earliest

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Caketime View Post
    What if the "classic studio" is just 5 people?
    We know that for now it is just 1 person (FinallBoss interview). It is a huge job, and they are taking this seriously, otherwise there would be no reason to go through the overhead of creating a new game team.

Deleted
    It takes about 1 month for 1 guy to host a private server from scratch, using the physical discs and fix all the servers and patches.

For blizzard it can't take more than 5-6 months. And most of that time is to design battlenet interfaces

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    They are hiring former Nostralrius devs. As well as others devoted to Legacy. They are not hiring "nobodies". They stated they are only hiring people with a demonstrated passion for Vanilla, to work on Vanilla.

Don't believe me? They offered 2 Nost French programmers a job in the Eurogamer interview.
    Why wouldn't I believe you? It sounds pretty normal that they would headhunt good Vanilla private devs. I don't think it changes much for the timeline though.