Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I fail to see how buying something with the proceeds of AFKing in your garrison/order hall is somehow better for the game than someone gaining it by devoting a lot of time and effort playing difficult content on a Classic realm. Surely the more options we have available to us the better?
    Those things were a limited time thing. i missed out on some stuff aswell. People are gonna play the vanilla servers for their experience. Not to gain something out of it and then to swap it to retail. Keep the 2 games seperate simple as that.

I'd rather have it on the black market auction house which is pretty much already too much. those things have just never been available again. Theres a reason why ZG got 2 different mounts after CATA.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyrja View Post
    So you wanna see everyone in naxx 40 gear on the retail servers in a couple of years? nah, doesn't sound fun to me.
    Why do you assume "everyone" would care? Do you see people run around in T7 a lot? That's just a recolor of T3. But some people might prefer the other color variant. With the BMAH, the "prestige" of T3 has been further dimnished on live anyway. It's just cosmetics at this point.

Personally I think this decision might be made primarily based on population. It's a great incentive if they want to get players to play on classic servers, so even if it's not there at launch it might be something that is added later on.
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

Deleted
    because ppl shouldnt force themselfs to play vanilla just to get rewards.
    Some ppl in this forum already force themselfs to talk in these classic topics and see how salty that shit is.

And if it became available you could get T3 in naxx and turn it over to live. and you could get Zulian tiger and bring it to live. Those same people that cry for this to happen. Are also the people that will just quit at level 20. Cause its too hard for them and they'd rather play on live get gold or buy gold via the tokens and camp the BMH.

Sure they could do that, but why? Why make an incentive to play classic? It was added because of a popular demand. Vanilla wasn't great because of the raids or grind or the gear you could get. It was great because of the community was smaller. Everyone knew everyone. So if you wanne play classic go ahead, but don't expect rewards. its 2 seperate experiences.

Deleted
    So you wanna see everyone in naxx 40 gear on the retail servers in a couple of years? nah, doesn't sound fun to me.
    When classic servers are released they will stay around for a long time. You will have so much more time to farm stuff compared to what you had back in the days. Doesn't seem fair to the people that got this stuff 12+ years ago.
    But its OK for everyone to run around in T6 from TBC? Or every DH now using warglaives?
    I never understood why Naxx40 gear was so precious compared to other tiers, and that's coming from someone that cleared approx half of Naxx back then.

Naxx wasn't even removed until the end of TBC due to Wrath. Loads of people farmed Naxx at lvl 70 which made several of the encounters a complete joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Cellineth View Post
    But its OK for everyone to run around in T6 from TBC? Or every DH now using warglaives?
    I never understood why Naxx40 gear was so precious compared to other tiers, and that's coming from someone that cleared approx half of Naxx back then.

Naxx wasn't even removed until the end of TBC due to Wrath. Loads of people farmed Naxx at lvl 70 which made several of the encounters a complete joke.
    I think its okay to have all these things as a cosmetic. But it shouldn't be earned on a different experience. I'd rather have it done on retail doing something else or have timewalking naxx then. And not on the classic servers to make an incentive to play.

I don't really care about rewards going from Classic to live. I really, really don't give a fuck about people gathering gear for their current characters (especially considering they can get most of it by soloing current low-level content anyway).

But I agree there is a concern which might make it a bad idea for both the current-WoW community and the Classic-WoW one :

1) Current-WoW players who have no interest in Classic would be "forced" to play there to get these unique rewards, which would be annoying to them.

2) Classic-WoW players would risk to have an influx of people who DO NOT LIKE Vanilla, and who would ask for changes or ruin the community.

So, though I don't care about the principle, I'd tend toward separating them completely for practicality sake.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    I don't really care about rewards going from Classic to live. I really, really don't give a fuck about people gathering gear for their current characters (especially considering they can get most of it by soloing current low-level content anyway).

But I agree there is a concern which might make it a bad idea for both the current-WoW community and the Classic-WoW one :

1) Current-WoW players who have no interest in Classic would be "forced" to play there to get these unique rewards, which would be annoying to them.

2) Classic-WoW players would risk to have an influx of people who DO NOT LIKE Vanilla, and who would ask for changes or ruin the community.

So, though I don't care about the principle, I'd tend toward separating them completely for practicality sake.
    The amount of IRL money people would pay for getting carried on Classic servers for full T3.. Daym. People already pay loads for server transfers and buy off the BMAH.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ralilioth View Post
    I think its okay to have all these things as a cosmetic. But it shouldn't be earned on a different experience. I'd rather have it done on retail doing something else or have timewalking naxx then. And not on the classic servers to make an incentive to play.
    But why is T3 treated differently? Literally the only reason Naxx was ever removed from the game is because the citadel moved lore-wise to Wrath.
    UBRS is still around despite it being a challenge mode in WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Miatog View Post
    ...Just to be upfront with my bias, such a system is the only way I'd personally play classic...
    I agree. I played Vanilla... limited bag space lead to me getting rid of some of the old armor sets. I mained a Warlock... I needed the space for Soul Shards. Bags were small. If I had everything I actually earned from Vanilla I wouldn't care as much. But I had to make those tough calls. Now that there is a chance I could re-earn them I'd probably do it. But if there isn't then it's not worth the development time to me.

The gameplay was very tedious compared to now. I recall having to eat and drink after every pull... and sometimes finish the mobs off with a wand blast because I was OOM. Yes that was pulling 1 mob at a time. No AoE.... AoE meant death well into TBC. Man it still gives me shudders thinking about how bad the game was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironcast View Post
    IMy only minor niggle with this, is that this connection to live seems to come out of the woodwork all of a sudden. I cannot recall anywhere in the run up to this announcement (which admittedly was unexpected) people wanting this. I could be wrong, and please call me out if there is anything that corrects me, but I thought people wanted vanilla for the experience, not as a means to funnel unobtainable (or very hard to obtain, like through the BMAH) to your retail characters.
    This isn't necessarily something Vanilla supporters want, though they may ask for it further down the line when they start earning all this stuff.

This is coming from a subset of collectors, such as myself, who were always against artificially removing content and advocated the return of retired mounts and transmogs. It's simply an excellent opportunity to bring it up, because if Blizzard thinks it's fair to bring back the entire Classic experience for people who want it, then it is also fair to bring back a few items for collectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Miatog View Post
    There's a trend I'm seeing that's curious to me and I don't understand. One of the things that some people suggest is that you can take mounts, mog, and pets from classic and move it to live. Every time I've seen it suggested, there's always a group of people who seem personally insulted at the very suggestion. Yet the only reason I've seen so far is a refusal to have any connection to the live game at all.

Just to be upfront with my bias, such a system is the only way I'd personally play classic.

I'm not here to discuss how good or bad this would be, but to ask a question to those who are opposed to this. Why? Often the proposal is that nothing goes to classic, just from classic to live, which means it would have little impact on you. Why are you against this and with such venom?
    I would want rewards from classic to go to live, but nothing from live should be available on classic. It's reasonable, I farmed the crap out of ZG for several years without getting the tiger, then it was removed. So with classic I could have another chance at it while it's harder to get than it was during bc, wotlk, cata(before they redid it) so I think it's fair to reward people who puts the effort in.

Deleted
    I don't care one lick for transmog, mounts or achievements. But the people who do and have any of the Vanilla only items/titles/achievements/mounts, I'm with them that it should remain history on retail servers.

Deleted
    I get that 100%. If they turned around and said - they are directly linked, once you have had your fun on vanilla, you can port your character to live and boost it to 100/110 - whatever the boost will be, it does not affect me at all. It really doesn't. It may make me want to play it slightly more!

My only minor niggle with this, is that this connection to live seems to come out of the woodwork all of a sudden. I cannot recall anywhere in the run up to this announcement (which admittedly was unexpected) people wanting this. I could be wrong, and please call me out if there is anything that corrects me, but I thought people wanted vanilla for the experience, not as a means to funnel unobtainable (or very hard to obtain, like through the BMAH) to your retail characters.

Hopefully that makes sense?
    It's simple. The more you get, the more you want. If you get a raise, often times people are a bit sad that they didn't get just a tiny bit extra.

Now we get Vanilla, and obviously people aren't grateful enough and accepts that; they want more.

When classic servers are released they will stay around for a long time. You will have so much more time to farm stuff compared to what you had back in the days. Doesn't seem fair to the people that got this stuff 12+ years ago.
    Why not, if they have to earn that gear on an actual Vanilla realm? It's not like they can take their 110/120 level characters and go breeze through Naxx.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post

You're making good points, however, I would not specifically play classic for the rewards, even tho I'm sort of a collector. If I think the gameplay is boring because I've been there and done that already, I won't continue and play in hopes of getting some rares.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    This isn't necessarily something Vanilla supporters want, though they may ask for it further down the line when they start earning all this stuff.

This is coming from a subset of collectors, such as myself, who were always against artificially removing content and advocated the return of retired mounts and transmogs. It's simply an excellent opportunity to bring it up, because if Blizzard thinks it's fair to bring back the entire Classic experience for people who want it, then it is also fair to bring back a few items for collectors.
    I get that, I too am someone who is regularly on mains and alts running old content and old rep groups for transmog, mounts and titles.

I just assumed (well, no-one knows 100% yet) that these servers would be removed from each other completely.

I am on my personal note though however, happy with stuff no longer being available to retail. I am not coming at it from a prestige/people need to be/look exclusive point of view, just that sometimes there are limited time windows, and thats it really.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    There is, obviously, going to be an overlap between those want to Classic and those who want to play live so why not incentivise those who wish to play both?
    If they already want to play it, they don't need incentives.

Given how difficult it will be to acquire many of the more desirable/removed items (let's be honest getting T3 gear will take some serious effort and is not like reaching level 20 in HoTs or winning 10 games of HS) I would argue that only those who have a genuine interest in Classic WoW would be prepared to play long enough and at high enough level to attain them.
    Sure. Very few people had T3 in vanilla, hopefully very few will have it in WoW Classic. I don't see the need for any cross game incentives.

In fact, I'm against anything that is not character bound. In an RPG you are supposed to be playing and developing your character. All the achievements should be strictly character bound and nothing should be account bound or cross-game, because those destroy the RPG aspect of the game. I think it's unhealthy to think that the achievements attach to you as a person—so that you should be able to display them on any of your characters—rather than the specific character that got the achievement.

I get that, I too am someone who is regularly on mains and alts running old content and old rep groups for transmog, mounts and titles.

I just assumed (well, no-one knows 100% yet) that these servers would be removed from each other completely.

I am on my personal note though however, happy with stuff no longer being available to retail. I am not coming at it from a prestige/people need to be/look exclusive point of view, just that sometimes there are limited time windows, and thats it really.
    Not even Blizzard knows! As they were asked this at Blizzcon and the answer was "Too early to see, we're going to listen to the community."

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't think of it as "incentivize live players to play Classic."

I would frame the argument as "incentivize Classic players to try out retail."

Let's be honest here--Naxx may not be mechanically complex like newer raids are, but it was hard numerically in such a way that failing to execute what mechanics there were wiped the raid more often than not. And as Naxx10/25 showed, the safety dance and the Four Horsemen are going to be major roadblocks for someone who just wants to hop in and cruise through everything.

If someone is good enough, and dedicated enough to build a full t3 set, get their Corrupted Ashbringer, ring the gong, get their Zul'Gurub tiger, and grind out Grand Marshal on the Classic server, they would likely not be willing to give all that up for a retail experience where all that work was for naught. But if they're able to transfer their mounts, gear appearances, and title over to retail, Blizz might be able to entice them into playing retail long enough to at least get to cap and see what Battle for Azeroth has to offer before they get back to playing Classic, which looks good for Blizz's numbers as ActiBlizz uses monthly active users as their metric for success now.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

I agree that they should be separate, it would be risky to mix the populations, especially for things that weren't exactly trackable in Vanilla and would require UI changes. But my argument, I believe, still stands. Let that feeling of Vanilla revival wash over Standard as well by returning some of the items that were removed due to the changing nature of the game (I'm not saying stuff like Scarab Lord or further down the line Gladiator mounts).

The bonus is, if you bring them to Standard you will avoid people arguing later that they earned such and such on Classic realms and feel they should be able to use them in Standard. Plus, if you're going to be looking at ZG and Naxx 40 as part of Vanilla, you can also make Timewalking runs from them in Standard, and add the collectibles there.