Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    There is a lot of assuming in this thread that revolves around ignoring the old honor system. No one did AV for honor points, the gain is too small and you'll cap out at rank 10/11. For rank 12+ It was Warsong and Arathi all day/every day. AV was good for stupid fun and grinding up reputation for some sweet weapons or cheap mount.
    You don't see this behavior on private servers because there's no serious pvp competition going on, but I expect this on Blizzard classic servers. Who wants to waste months of BGs for a private server that is shut down yet again? Sure you do AV and don't care about anything. It's the easiest BG where horde/alliance can never see each other and someone still wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Strifeload View Post
    Have you actually tryed AV back then?(or did you just read a preachers post?).

I can GURANTEE you, that you will quit PvP.

If you can't do Ashran for 2 hours, you can't do sh!t in AV(and no, spare me your thought of that you were in puberty and your world news was your fav. soccer team).
    I did, and it was awesome. I actually liked Ashran for the most part. But Vanilla AV was better. You could isolate more often and the on-going efforts to boster your faction were more fun IMO. Showing the scoreboard was nice too, I loved watching my KBs and HKs, seeing if I could get to the top and hold it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by barrsftw View Post
    I did, and it was awesome. I actually liked Ashran for the most part. But Vanilla AV was better. You could isolate more often and the on-going efforts to boster your faction were more fun IMO. Showing the scoreboard was nice too, I loved watching my KBs and HKs, seeing if I could get to the top and hold it.
    Ashran was actually pretty good toward the end of WoD imo, it started off shit.

Wintergrasp in early Wotlk before they ruined it was the most fun i've ever had in pvp though, that was amazing.

Classic AV is probably the only thing that would make me want to play classic wow, i used to spend 8hours in an AV back then just farming people.

Quote Originally Posted by Peggle View Post
    Ashran was actually pretty good toward the end of WoD imo, it started off shit.

Wintergrasp in early Wotlk before they ruined it was the most fun i've ever had in pvp though, that was amazing.

Classic AV is probably the only thing that would make me want to play classic wow, i used to spend 8hours in an AV back then just farming people.
    I also loved WG. Thinking about it, it might have been more fun than vanilla AV for me... It's hard to say. Both were great in their own right.

Will enough people interested in pvp play Alliance?

Deleted
    I also loved WG. Thinking about it, it might have been more fun than vanilla AV for me... It's hard to say. Both were great in their own right.
    I loved wintergrasp, it really brought the server together. There were about 10 people on horde side of my server that were known to be the group leaders, every 3 hours they would start forming their groups, you really got to know them and the people you fought with and against. You started to learn who the alliance group leaders were and peoples tactics and such, such amazing fun. Then blizzard killed it

On faction balanced servers wintergrasp was a masterpiece, imo its the best content blizzard ever created, but i do admit it must have been boring on unbalanced servers.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    On AV weekends, I can't speak for how Alliance handled it but horde were literally running upfield to the "backdoor", killing the guards around the Aid Station, then using the aforementioned hunter pull trick to start pulling warmasters, and depending on how many tanks and healers you had, one or two at a time, and once the last one was dead a quick 10 sec drink up before going in and securing the win. Unless Alliance beat you to it. So no, not running in and tanking all; but it certainly became, somewhat routine after the 5th match of the weekend...
    Well, right, but even then that's not exactly zerging it. You needed organization and correct pulls (I too recall times where we'd kite out one bodyguard from Vann and try killing it by itself). Farcry from a full on braindead zerg where tanks/nontanks run in first grabbing aggro and heals keep up anyone who happens to be getting whacked by the bosses, healing a new target as people die.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    Well, right, but even then that's not exactly zerging it. You needed organization and correct pulls (I too recall times where we'd kite out one bodyguard from Vann and try killing it by itself). Farcry from a full on braindead zerg where tanks/nontanks run in first grabbing aggro and heals keep up anyone who happens to be getting whacked by the bosses, healing a new target as people die.
    I dunno, judging by the state of it in t1/t2 iLvl I wonder if it really won't be managable in t3... Certainly a challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Vanilla AV will keep this game alive for years.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I dunno, judging by the state of it in t1/t2 iLvl I wonder if it really won't be managable in t3... Certainly a challenge
    Possibly? I mean if it's organized enough, I dunno. Currently on some private servers I occasionally fuck around on, AV zerging isn't a thing. Both factions are entirely pre-made raid queues, though the servers in question still don't have Tier 3 at the moment. I suppose with an organized and well-geared enough group and minimal enemy interference, you could quickly zerg the enemy general. If it's approached as just being a PvE encounter with as little PvP as possible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by braxkedren View Post
    I remember once logging on and seeing guild chat for everyone to get to AV if possible due to a 16 hour session that had started early in the morning and kept going back and forth. Just mindless PvP for hours it was so much fun
    I used to log on before school, join AV #81, come home from school, join AV #81, go to bed, in the morning log on and join AV #81, come home join AV #81 etc.

they easily went on for multiple days usually :P

Deleted
    Who cares about raiding? I want my never ending AVs back. Hopefully BGs launch on Day 1!
    Me too. And if Redbulls not enough, I might consider going back to amphetamines.

Deleted
    Who cares about raiding? I want my never ending AVs back. Hopefully BGs launch on Day 1!
    AV didn't unlock until level 51, so i doubt many would be able to access that on day 1.

You might be waiting a while. But yeah, I remember the epic AV battles as well. Amazing it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Peggle View Post
    AV didn't unlock until level 51, so i doubt many would be able to access that on day 1.
    Right. I was referring to battlegrounds being in the WoW:Classic at launch. They were patched in after the game came out.