Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Thanks Trump!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    I don't know anyone whose premiums have gone down this time around. Just sayin'.
    Me and my friend's ACA plan came with a free trip to Hawaii. Also pie.

Does my anecdotal story on the internet beat yours?
    Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2017-11-08 at 12:05 PM.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    ACA enrollment starts today: healthcare.gov

And Trump and his Deplorables, still seething with contempt and malice for Obamacare, are really angry people can get healthcare through the ACA!

Despite Trump's best efforts at killing and sabotaging the ACA (pulling CSRs, cutting advertising by 90%, abusing the advertising budget to attack the ACA, halving the enrollment period, pulling the website offline for maintenance for 12 hours every Sunday), the ACA lives! And every county has an insurer.

Some facts:

1. After subsidies, the premiums for plans in every metal level (a metal level defines the expected % of costs the insurer pays) has decreased.

Source

2. 80% of enrollees can get plans for less than $75 a month, up from previous years.

Source

3. Thousands of counties have free plans.

Source

This is due to two factors. Firstly, the genius of how the ACA subsidies were designed: they defined the % of income that should be spent on healthcare, and pay out whatever is needed so that the 2nd lowest silver plans meets this percentage, thus fully offsetting price hikes no matter how large. Secondly, big price hikes before subsidies caused by Trump pulling CSR payments, thus causing huge subsidy hikes. In fact, Democratic states, like California, have loaded all the CSR price hikes onto silver plans to boost the subsidies. This also means people who are too wealthy to get subsidies should buy off exchange until Republicans are booted out for sabotaging people's healthcare and CSRs are back.

https://twitter.com/GetUSCovered/sta...09097076449280
    Who would have guessed that putting Obama's name on something, would lead devout Communists to embrace kick backs for big business! Well, besides everyone. But aside from everyone, who could have guessed this turn of events?

How come you don't show where people making just under 100k are given subsidies? Why clip the graphs? Is it to distort the truth or to save space? (We might be at the character limit for the internet, after all.)

Normal people don't talk about their health problems and their money problems and state/local/federal government? That's news to me.
    Politics can be normal in a conversation, but maybe once or twice have I ever had one to do with healthcare premiums. So yes, I do find it odd that you have some collective survey of people you know and their healthcare information.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Who would have guessed that putting Obama's name on something, would lead devout Communists to embrace kick backs for big business!
    Well, you only have Republicans to blame for popularizing the "Obamacare" moniker. They're the ones that really brought it into the public sphere when they decided to using it as an insult.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Well, you only have Republicans to blame for popularizing the "Obamacare" moniker. They're the ones that really brought it into the public sphere when they decided to using it as an insult.
    So, the bizarre worship of an ineffectual president...is the fault of his haters...what? "That don't even make no sense!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    So, the bizarre worship of an ineffectual president...is the fault of his haters...what? "That don't even make no sense!"
    Hey man, you brought it up. Don't get mad at me for pointing out that your argument doesn't make any sense when placed in actual context.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Hey man, you brought it up. Don't get mad at me for pointing out that your argument doesn't make any sense when placed in actual context.
    Oh, but he will. He will.

On topic though - pretty great news about the ACA and people getting coverage. Glad it's working despite the all-out war the GOP is waging on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Healthcare premiums down because successful people forced to pick up bigger portion of the tab for everyone else, news at 11!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Healthcare premiums down because successful people forced to pick up bigger portion of the tab for everyone else, news at 11!
    Does this count as identity politics or do we all stop being Americans at some point?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Politics can be normal in a conversation, but maybe once or twice have I ever had one to do with healthcare premiums.
    Healthcare premiums are a common subject of conversation at my workplace. I would assume that it's like that at most employers who once offered affordable medical insurance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Healthcare premiums are a common subject of conversation at my workplace. I would assume that it's like that at most employers who once offered affordable medical insurance.
    You talked to them and confirmed this the day it became available? Liar...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Does this count as identity politics or do we all stop being Americans at some point?
    Is it or is it not a case of the haves spending more for the have nots?

Hmmm, sure OK.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it or is it not Americans? I asked first... them having or not having does not make them any less Americans.

I saw the follow up monologue last night and seems the crowd didn't get it. Obviously there are pro-Kimmel and cheered when he ranted about healthcare and his son, so I take it this crow would get the bit. Yet, on his follow up of trying to get people to sign up for TrumCare it was silent. Which may lead me expect that again maybe most people still don't understand the difference. Or maybe it was a bad joke, meh.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

15+ Year Old Account
    The same could be said about the entire premise of insurance and actuarial tables. Do you understand that them paying into a pool is better than no pool at all right? This still limits their own out of pocket expenses in the event of a health problem.

successful people also pick up a bigger portion of the tab for the MILITARY, EDUCATION, HIGHWAYS, HOMELAND DEFENSE, etc etc etc

so we should get rid of all of them too right? Don't want to stress those poor billionaires now do we!

- - - Updated - - -

lol, i worked in insurance for 25 years and it was not even a common subject there.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    lol, i worked in insurance for 25 years and it was not even a common subject there.....
    When did you leave?

10+ Year Old Account
    When did you leave?
    I talk to him about leaving, at about 3:30 pst, the day he posted. /s

When did you leave?
    about 4 months ago.

i work for them during open enrollment season part time as a consultant now since i am older. was full time for 23 years.
    I start back up again for a 90 day stint in a few weeks.

this is especially the time you would expect people to be talking about insurance.

oh and we handle all insurance including ACA plans..