Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    IMO a good frying pan and a slowcooker or pressure cooker would do pretty much everything I need.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    But . . . you are the Queen of Cake. How do you make cakes with a frying pan and a slowcooker?
    I have to admit something truly horrible.

I don't own a cake pan. I buy disposable ones.

I know

Also slow cooker cake is totally a thing.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    the misses
    No one likes a bragger

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dys View Post
    A well seasoned cast iron skillet. I clean it with 6"x6" square of chainmail.

And a dutch oven.
    Yeah I’m too new to try cast iron. I heard there is almost a tribe around it.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Anything by le creuset is top draw quality. Lifetime warranty etc.

Also, stainless > teflon. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
    Last edited by SLSAMG; 2017-11-10 at 10:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
    Yup, here's how it works...

You work an 8 hr shift but want a hot meal ready when you come home. You get out your crock pot and put a whole chicken in it on its back (remove the bag of innards if it even has that these days), peel an onion or two, a handful of carrots, some potatoes and drop them all in also. Shrooms? Celery stalk? Alongside that you fill the crockpot to near the top of the breast, it's also good if its under an inch from the top of the liner. Drop in a bouillon cube or two, I like to mix beef with chicken for the sake of umami and complexity. You can add the traditional poultry seasonings: parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme - that's all good and why its the lyrics of a fairly ancient song. Final bit is to set the timer to cook this at medium for about 5 hours, for when you are sure to be home. You set the start time and even the stop time.

First time you do this it may seem to take forever. But the umpteenth time you do it, it takes only 5-10 min.

Using slightly different timings, you can even start with the bird from frozen to fully cooked. And this could also be a pork or beef roast too.

This is going to be crazy good eating even if some things are slightly overdone (like probably the potatoes). You make a small sacrifice for convenience and wholesomeness. You cut a portion of the bird, a bit of each veg, spoon on some extra broth. Yum.

Don't leave food out longer than 90-120 minutes at room temperature's. Move your food to storage containers and get that into the fridge. Use wicker trivets or hot pads to buffer between hot containers and cold frig shelves.

But wait, there's more. That broth of which you probably now have 6-8 cups DO NOT TOSS THAT OUT! You store that in a plastic container in the freezer. Or you can even use ice trays and then bag the cubes the next day. With this stock you can now make a lovely gravy for later in the week, add it to a stir fry from more flavor and make a thin sauce, or you can bloody well make an epic soup from several batches of stock. Winter is just made for soup and that is hearty eating on a cold winter night.

You could literally take the leftovers from the pot roast and make a soup. You dice your meat and veg, add some other stuff like celery, leeks, cabbage, corn, squash, spinach, etc. You could add cooked rice or pasta. If you add lots of new stuff you may need multiple batches of stock. Add seasoning to taste if it needs it. A splash of soy sauce can lend some good salt and color. I sometimes sprinkle soup with grated Romano, because yes.

If I can make a pot roast I’d be pretty proud of myself. I think I’m gonna need to make friends with a butcher. I also dig the steaming of vegetables. Gonna crawl before I Wok so to speak. Wanna try Stir Fry. Fresh Veggies and thin cuts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheGOAT View Post
    Anything by le creuset is top draw quality. Lifetime warranty etc.
    Is that stainless or nonstick?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    If I can make a pot roast I’d be pretty proud of myself. I think I’m gonna need to make friends with a butcher. I also dig the steaming of vegetables. Gonna crawl before I Wok so to speak. Wanna try Stir Fry. Fresh Veggies and thin cuts.

- - - Updated - - -

Is that stainless or nonstick?

It's cast iron and stainless. You won't ever find TOTL cookware using cheap nonstick teflon coatings.

7+ Year Old Account
    Way way way the fuck back when I first moved out to California my mom bought me something that at the time I thought to myself "wtf mom!" Turns out it was one of the best gifts I ever received. Here's the same, or very similar, set of cookware that I was given : All-Clad 700508 MC2 Professional Master Chef 2 Stainless Steel Bi-Ply Bonded Oven Safe PFOA Free Cookware Set, 10-Piece, Silver

I've supplemented that set with a couple extra pieces from the same cookware line along with a couple cast iron pans, a dutch oven, and a crock pot. There isn't anything I can't make (or, at times, attempt to make).

My All-Clad pots and pans are almost 30 years old at this point and they still look great and do the job as well today as they did back when I first got them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    One thing I can tell you right away
    An entire set of cookware as displayed, for $70 is utter rubbish.
    I mean you can get even cheaper sets, but that's then just worse.
    You get what you pay for, that's especially true for cookware.
    A good quality pot alone costs more than these sets.

Here's a nice list from pros
    http://nymag.com/strategist/2017/04/...-and-pans.html

use that as inspiration. You don't have to buy the very same items they show.. But also don't settle for that garbage you were eying.
    You don't want to buy a new pan every year or have to throw the pot away, just because you accidentally burned your foot in it while you were distracted talking to someone on the phone or whatever else..
    Your stuff needs to be durable and sturdy.
    Don't buy a nonstick pan for 10 bucks, don't get the one for 120.. get one for 50ish.. that covers you well.
    Thanks WildTree there’s gonna be some real life Westfall Stew in your future. Just as soon as I find Murloc eyeballs.

I am in the market to get some cookware and I am a shitty cook, outside of baking a little bit and a bowl of Cheerios I suck, but I am working on it, anybody in here a cook, have any recommendations for any starter sets or what they use as go to for some of the best?

Also too what are your favorite items to cook regularly?

What's better not stick or stainless steel?

I am thinking about just getting a good Wok and a Skillet. Also looking for the best value and easiest to maintain. Right now the Foreman Grill is still my favorite item.

bout $70.00 USD Online

Get 'beginners' cookware, and one decent item in each category, one pot, one pan, one knife etc.

I'd reccomend non-stick pans on the cheaper side, and non stick stuff is easier to clean. Something I'd reccomend is a pan that can be put in the oven, so with a metal handle, or wood, but not plastic.

Not the very very cheap stuff, but there is no need to get the very best if you're just beginning.

Another thing to get is a decent kitchen knife. If you handle it right it can stay with you for a very long time. Don't make the mistake of getting one of these super-hard japanese kitchen knives. They do stay sharp a very long time, but resharpening them takes a professional.

Thanks WildTree there’s gonna be some real life Westfall Stew in your future. Just as soon as I find Murloc eyeballs.

The World of WarCraft Cook book holds a great many recipies that I can recommend to anyone, from beginner to advanced learner, including a wonderful westfall stew that is just right for fall and winter evenings. And no murloc eyeballs requiered.
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2017-11-10 at 11:17 AM.

Deleted
    Wait, it's 70 bucks for the entire thing?

Jesus christ, that's like 1 of my pans.

Just ordered one of those pam spray olive oil you use in the states, will come any day now. Heard its pretty good and i want to cut down on any extra fats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post

IKR. Eventually he'll get tired of the cheap stuff though. People rarely think long term when they purchase these kinds of things.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a cast iron griddle pan that I use for steaks, really heavy and heats up well. I have a Le Creuset Dutch oven and 3 Le Creuset saucepans of various sizes. For frying and sautéing, I have 2 ceramic lined pans that distribute the heat really well.

Utensils wise, I couldn't be without my Sabatier knives: one bread knife, one carving knife, two paring knives and a general purpose knife.

My pride and joy is my Kenwood Pro Libra: thing can cut, chop, dice, grate pretty much anything and the spice mill attachment is top notch.
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Get 'beginners' cookware, and one decent item in each category, one pot, one pan, one knife etc.

I'd reccomend non-stick pans on the cheaper side, and non stick stuff is easier to clean. Something I'd reccomend is a pan that can be put in the oven, so with a metal handle, or wood, but not plastic.

Not the very very cheap stuff, but there is no need to get the very best if you're just beginning.

Another thing to get is a decent kitchen knife. If you handle it right it can stay with you for a very long time. Don't make the mistake of getting one of these super-hard japanese kitchen knives. They do stay sharp a very long time, but resharpening them takes a professional.

The World of WarCraft Cook book holds a great many recipies that I can recommend to anyone, from beginner to advanced learner, including a wonderful westfall stew that is just right for fall and winter evenings. And no murloc eyeballs requiered.

Yeah I’m weighing what others are saying money isn’t much an issue but I rather not waste especially if I’m going to destroy anything learning. As for the knives I haven’t even started looking yet. Still gonna get a vacuum sealer to start keeping fresh everything.

As for the Murloc eyeballs good cause I’m sure it might be a interesting flavor but on account I don’t know where to find a Murloc I’m not sure how much trouble I’d be in for killing the only one ever found.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2017-11-10 at 11:26 AM.

Yeah I had been debating the steel vs non stick in the future, I have stainless now, but I heard the nonstick can peel off from the dish washer.
    Only cheap non-stick does that. Buy brand-name stuff. (It will also peel off eventually, but we're talking thousands of cycles.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post

Yeah it’s on Amazon U.S site hell everything is.

10+ Year Old Account
    As for the knives I haven’t even started looking yet.
    If I was to give you just one piece of advice, it would be to never, ever buy cheap knives. They are a false economy and will just frustrate you in the kitchen. Plus they will dull quickly and then they become dangerous: blunt knives will cause more cuts in the kitchen than sharp ones
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by allatar View Post
    If I was to give you just one piece of advice, it would be to never, ever buy cheap knives. They are a false economy and will just frustrate you in the kitchen. Plus they will dull quickly and then they become dangerous: blunt knives will cause more cuts in the kitchen than sharp ones
    Yeah I like that blender but it might be too fancy for me right now. I’m not sure how much damage I’ll do. Just going to stay healthy and try to do more fresh. Cooking is a lost art. I’m not on a GMO thing but I got to do some real cooking.

Like the simple folk of Westfall lol. Thanks for the information.

Deleted
    Frying pan.

If you are new to the whole concept, I would not recommend going for teflon, or other non sticky covered appliances. You can actually ruin them with incorrect use, like using a knife to turn your bacon and eggs on them for example. A small scratch and that is it. Ideally you would want cast iron pans. But they are heavy. And I mean heavy, as in several kilos / 5 or so pounds is considered relatively light for a large pan. If you think that it does not seem much, imagine a couple of 2 liter cola bottles (you would have something on a frying pan would you?) tied to a foot long stick and try waving it around. My mother and my girlfriend do not use them because of weight. And I myself do not try to juggle pancakes with them either. If you do want cast iron pans, make sure you get them with wrapped handles. It can be wood or any other insulation. Because without it, you would not want to accidentally grab one with your bare hand. Those cast handles are an excellent heat conductors. Also - cooking gloves are a nuisance.

For a beginner, a simple steel set is probably the best solution. It is much more difficult to break or damage while cooking or cleaning. It is also lightweight. A bent side (stuff happens) does not mean you have to replace the whole thing like it does with non-sticky pans.
    PS: $70 for the whole steel lot on your picture is a bargain. Start with that. Iron appliances are not much cheaper a piece. And "teflon" with that price tag is likely the cheapest thing you can possibly find. So quality would be under question. Considering the fact that quality in this case can mean serious health issues if you start ingesting splintered cover off those pans, I would not risk it. Go steel. Very little can go wrong with that.
    PPS: You can also opt for titanium pans. They combine best qualities of steel (durability, longevity, weight) and non-sticky pans (the non stickiness part). But they are going to cost you a lot more (like A LOT more. The one below is $270 a piece). On the minus side, these have poor heat conductivity and do not spread heat as efficiently as iron pans do (meaning you have to have large burners for large pans, or the part not over flame will cook considerably longer, making your dish uneven):
    Last edited by Gaaz; 2017-11-10 at 12:43 PM.