Deleted

how long to boil potatoes? cooking help

how long do i need to boil potatoes so they are soft?

Exactly 13 minutes, 23 seconds. Anytime longer, they turn to mush, anytime shorter and the toxins will not break down properly, killing anyone who has a bite of the tater.

On a serious note, in case you are starving and have no acess to google: depends on how big they are. Poke them with a fork, and when you feel no resistance, they are done.

Just boil them and check from time to time with a knife, soft enough that you can easily stick the knife through with no effort.

7+ Year Old Account
    1 1/2" cubes, starting in cold water, bring to boil for 15 mins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure you have google and youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Exactly 13 minutes, 23 seconds. Anytime longer, they turn to mush, anytime shorter and the toxins will not break down properly, killing anyone who has a bite of the tater.

On a serious note, in case you are starving and have no acess to google: depends on how big they are. Poke them with a fork, and when you feel no resistance, they are done.
    I disagree, it's 12 minutes 59 seconds; you need the 24 seconds of difference in our timings to pause Netflix and get to the kitchen.

Fork, some resistance, but fork slides out. That's when they're done. Just cut them all so they're a similar size.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    your all wrong it's 12 minutes 60 seconds.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dream View Post
    how long do i need to boil potatoes so they are soft?
    Depends on heat level, you can poke them with a fork to feel when they are ready.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I disagree, it's 12 minutes 59 seconds; you need the 24 seconds of difference in our timings to pause Netflix and get to the kitchen.

Fork, some resistance, but fork slides out. That's when they're done. Just cut them all so they're a similar size.
    You MONSTER. 12 minutes and 59 seconds?!!? Only 14 minutes and 24 seconds at minimum!

Can confirm though fork/knife the potatos and if its soft enough to go in and out with much resistance then its fine.

Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    You MONSTER. 12 minutes and 59 seconds?!!? Only 14 minutes and 24 seconds at minimum!

Can confirm though fork/knife the potatos and if its soft enough to go in and out with much resistance then its fine.
    Fine! I give up! It depends how long it takes me to walk to the kitchen!

I'll also just add, heavily salt the water. This does not change the boiling point much, contrary to popular wisdom, but it's your only chance to season the potatoes. Unless you're doing mashed potatoes, then you can salt later.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    Until done.