Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Stop claiming that WoD was rushed

"The goal is to have Battle for Azeroth launch before the end of 2018" and people go into full apology mode.

WoD followed MoP after the LONGEST gap between expansions EVER. 14 full months until WoD launched.

Them taking 14 months breaks does not garuantee a good expansion at all.

WoD was rushed due to a lot of directional changes throghout production, the same can be said of cataclysm in some areas such as the worgen model. In both cases the result was less than enjoyable, but it is indeed not a matter of time per say. It is impossible to predict whether they will have a strong change of mind about the expansion's features/lore causing them to rush some of the content or not.

WoD was rushed
    "Peace is a lie"

The rushed aspects of WoD had nothing to do with launch. They basically abandoned the expansion due to its unpopularity and moved forward with Legion.

I can only agree with other people when they say WoD was rushed, but I think it was due to the orc overdose we had with the so long SoO. Gorgrond have been totally changed, Warsong's role has been minor in Nagrand and even entires zones / raids or features (move your garrison, more garrison buildings were planed, Farahlon, Zangar sea) were all scrapped, and even Hellfire citadel seems to be a raid done with assets already made (Legion creatures were obviously for Legion, Teron'gor uses the Imp Mother skeleton with few special animations, anything used in the Hellfire Citadel raid / Tanaan Jungle were usable for a new expansion).

To me, WoD was more a minor feature expansion, that allowed the art team to go forward and allow the content speed we had in Legion.

WoD was 100% rushed and the worst part WAS the delay. How can it be rushed if it took so long to come out? Because they got sloppy and didn't pinpoint the story elements down soon enough is the easiest answer. I'm sure expansions have changed here and there on the story, but I think WoD was the first (and possibly only) expansion that was altered drastically TWICE. It was altered so much that we KNOW about both versions of the story. Did we ever hear about their story alterations in TBC? Wrath? Cata? MoP? No. They all had their central ideas pinpointed very early on.

WoD started off with Garrosh being banished into exile where he would create this "Mongrel Horde" out of the misplaced races of Azeroth. Kobolds, Gnolls, Centaur... those sorts of races.
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/Mongrel_Horde

They discussed the next iteration of the expansion idea as well. The first iteration of WoD was going to have Garrosh find himself banished to Outland. He would find a powerful ancient artifact that would allow him to forcefully bring the pieces of Outland together while simultaneously resurrecting the fallen horde leaders as well.

Then we got WoD WoD.

Now, another big reason you can tell that it was rushed was just the lack of content. They didn't know what they wanted to DO with the expansion. They scrapped raid tiers, they scrapped major Garrison features, they scrapped a LOT in this expansion. The entire story ended up being fucked. We didn't get a second raid tier to actually explain what the heck was going on. It just felt so disconnected to be fighting the Iron Horde and then... Guldan shows up and corrupts them? I get the feeling that we were supposed to make them absolutely desperate first, but the raid never came when we actually did something crazy. We beat Blackhand, but they had a lot more Horde than just him and his foundry.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    WoD was rush, the reason it was rushed was due to scraping much of what they started, then later abandoned to set up the story for Legion. Had they stuck with all the original concepts there would have never been the 14 month gap between expansions. Personally, I thought the expansion after Legion would be another smaller one that would set up another large one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    WoD was 100% rushed and the worst part WAS the delay. How can it be rushed if it took so long to come out? Because they got sloppy and didn't pinpoint the story elements down soon enough is the easiest answer. I'm sure expansions have changed here and there on the story, but I think WoD was the first (and possibly only) expansion that was altered drastically TWICE. It was altered so much that we KNOW about both versions of the story. Did we ever hear about their story alterations in TBC? Wrath? Cata? MoP? No. They all had their central ideas pinpointed very early on.

WoD started off with Garrosh being banished into exile where he would create this "Mongrel Horde" out of the misplaced races of Azeroth. Kobolds, Gnolls, Centaur... those sorts of races.
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/Mongrel_Horde

They discussed the next iteration of the expansion idea as well. The first iteration of WoD was going to have Garrosh find himself banished to Outland. He would find a powerful ancient artifact that would allow him to forcefully bring the pieces of Outland together while simultaneously resurrecting the fallen horde leaders as well.

Then we got WoD WoD.

Now, another big reason you can tell that it was rushed was just the lack of content. They didn't know what they wanted to DO with the expansion. They scrapped raid tiers, they scrapped major Garrison features, they scrapped a LOT in this expansion. The entire story ended up being fucked. We didn't get a second raid tier to actually explain what the heck was going on. It just felt so disconnected to be fighting the Iron Horde and then... Guldan shows up and corrupts them? I get the feeling that we were supposed to make them absolutely desperate first, but the raid never came when we actually did something crazy. We beat Blackhand, but they had a lot more Horde than just him and his foundry.
    Well said. Honestly I've always liked the idea of the second iteration better, but we got what we got.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Holy fuck. If we banned everyone that simply posted for attention-whoring purposes half the site would go dark.

Oh shut up

WOD was a blatent attempt at cheapening out the consumer:"Lets see how much content can we not put resources into - ie time, effort and money, and get away with it"
    They wanted to test the suckers and failed

Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    WoD was rushed due to a lot of directional changes throghout production, the same can be said of cataclysm in some areas such as the worgen model. In both cases the result was less than enjoyable, but it is indeed not a matter of time per say. It is impossible to predict whether they will have a strong change of mind about the expansion's features/lore causing them to rush some of the content or not.
    This is partly true. However, the big changes and cuts in WoD were more due to a huge initiative to expand the team with the goal of having more frequent expansions (as Blizzard has always attempted to do). Team 2 expanded to nearly double it's original size from WoD's onset, but that led to having to train all of those new people and onboard them instead of building that content. It's true that the direction changed somewhat but I would say they bit off more than they could chew, which is why so much of the content seemed compromised in that expansion (Faction Cities, Garrisons to an extent, Zones & Quests, Raids, even Character Models not at Launch).

Conversely, this is why Legion seemed like it had more of it's shit together. There was a much larger team to work with that had some experience under it's belt by that point, and more features could be polished and shipped after they were trained.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    The rushed aspects of WoD had nothing to do with launch. They basically abandoned the expansion due to its unpopularity and moved forward with Legion.
    WoD's 6.0 endgame content was rushed on launch, they knew what they were releasing. The problem is: if they were just developing Legion in the forefront the whole time, does that mean BfA will end up lacking like WoD was?
    start9

WoD was rushed. But not in the sense you mean. It was rushed to end ASAP, as Blizz knew it was shit. That's why there were only 2 raid tiers. But Blizz miscalculated stuff with the newly hired people, how long it takes to train them and how far legion was along in development. Imo, Blizz aimed for a spring release for Legion, but due to those factors above, WoD had this big content shortage as well as this late legion release.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baikalsan View Post
    "The goal is to have Battle for Azeroth launch before the end of 2018" and people go into full apology mode.

WoD followed MoP after the LONGEST gap between expansions EVER. 14 full months until WoD launched.

Them taking 14 months breaks does not garuantee a good expansion at all.
    .....But WoD rushed, they even said it themselfs. They had planned for WoD to be this HUGE expansion, yet they had planned way too much so over the expansion key feaures were removed to meet the deadline.

Just because it was the expansion which took the longest time, does not mean it was not rushed. Take a trip around Frostfire Ridge, Gorgrond and Nagrand and it becomes quite obvious, that the expansion was rushed.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

WoD was rushed! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Deleted
    I think there was some kind of internal power struggle going on during WoD. When it came out it felt rushed. Almost like they started doing something, then had to scrap it middle of it and re-do a lot of stuff.

Would be nice to know, but I doubt we ever will.

Quote Originally Posted by Pijips View Post
    WoD's 6.0 endgame content was rushed on launch, they knew what they were releasing. The problem is: if they were just developing Legion in the forefront the whole time, does that mean BfA will end up lacking like WoD was?
    a more interesting question is:
    Can a company release an expansion as rich and content filled as legion has been (minus a handfull of months - minor timeframes) within the habitual xpack development time period? or did they need more time so they used the panda + wod time to develop legion?

can we assume then that battle for azeroth is going to be another chill and filler xpack for them to provide something superior?

when a 'major content patch' (patch being the only wholly truthful word there) literally has the tagline "garrison update" because the stuff that was supposed to be in the expansion launch had to be patched in later, you know it was r u s h e d

slime

Quote Originally Posted by Pijips View Post
    Doubt it. IMO, they already have the end of BfA planned, they’ve teased it at several points that the final conflict will be with the Old Gods. I don’t see any reason for them to change that.

The problem with WoD is that the concept was stupid to begin with and clearly meant to also cross market with the Warcarft movie. They abandoned the idea after seeing it was a failure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EternalBany View Post
    a more interesting question is:
    Can a company release an expansion as rich and content filled as legion has been (minus a handfull of months - minor timeframes) within the habitual xpack development time period? or did they need more time so they used the panda + wod time to develop legion?

can we assume then that battle for azeroth is going to be another chill and filler xpack for them to provide something superior?
    According to Blizzard they’ve been working on the process of this expansion since 2015, while Legion was still in development.

So that kind of kills the idea of “filler” expansions

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Doubt it. IMO, they already have the end of BfA planned, they’ve teased it at several points that the final conflict will be with the Old Gods. I don’t see any reason for them to change that.

The problem with WoD is that the concept was stupid to begin with and clearly meant to also cross market with the Warcarft movie. They abandoned the idea after seeing it was a failure.

- - - Updated - - -

According to Blizzard they’ve been working on the process of this expansion since 2015, while Legion was still in development.

So that kind of kills the idea of “filler” expansions
    everybody lies
    specially companies

"You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."