Page 1 of 33
... LastLast

No Flying in 8.0 Confirmed

Great and welcome news. Ian confirmed during a Blizzcon interview that flying will not be available in Battle for Azeroth at launch. Furthermore, Blizzard will continue with this approach for the foreseeable future in subsequent expansions.

https://youtu.be/DkdTS_8Y61Q?t=37m

Paraphrase of Ion's quote from the link above:

"Same as Legion, same as Warlords. Honestly, we're pretty happy with how it [flying] worked out in Legion.

Experience the world: learn the nooks and cranny's, the mountains, the canyons, the shortcuts, the lay of the land - as you adventure through it - master it, and then unlock flying account wide. Soar over it, skip around to your hearts content. I think its a structure that works. The exact pacing, the timing, the requirements - those are subject to tweaks - but thats a plan that we'll continue for the foreseeable future."

Its great to see Blizzard continue to acknowledge / listen to the community - and not cave in to a small minority of outspoken and melodramatic players who wouldnt know whats good for the game if it hit them in the face - in agreeing that World of Warcraft is a game best played and experienced on the ground. Its as simple as that.

Thankyou, Blizzard.

I think the biggest Flying lesson learnt from Legion is: the better the content, the lesser we need flying and ppl even care about it. The weaker the content (Warlords of Draenor) the more people will be frustrated and bored and grasp at things to complain about andor ways to skip content.

If Battle for Legions content is as strong as Legions (or better) - we can hopefully get away with having no flying for even longer this time round.
    Last edited by TyrianFC; 2017-11-13 at 01:12 PM.

Excellent news.

To me - I think flying should be reserved for old content and be automatically given to a character on getting to the next range of content (e.g. WoD flying is given to you when you hit 110 etc).

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

15+ Year Old Account
    Part of what made Suramar possibly the best questing experience in WoW was doing it all from the ground. Meredil felt like an outpost in the wilds. Hunting for the leyline cave entrances felt like an accomplishment. Getting in and out of the Faronaar tunnels felt like a dungeon crawl. Suramar City felt huge and expansive, and dangerous on the ground.

That's why this is excellent news
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's all hammer some nails into our genitals.

#makeroadssafeagain
    *Insert every single ridiculous PC parts detail here that no one cares about*

5+ Year Old Account
    This is how it should be. Great that they're sticking to it
    For the [enter opposing faction here]

7+ Year Old Account
    This is my surprise face.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nice click bait title and contradicting copy paste
    #TeamSylvanas

Predictable, and expected. Hopefully they create zones that aren't godawful to experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptoriana View Post
    Nice click bait title and contradicting copy paste
    gtfo if you dont like it. The title matches what he is talking about, please post constructively next time.

OT: Great move by Blizzard. I'd rather not see flying implemented until at least a year or more into the expansion. This will ensure that I continue subbing to the game in the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Widow View Post
    That's great to be honest. I'm glad they're learning from it and not caving into the minority. =)
    Like they did with Classic? Dumb motherfuckers.

Very soon we can see the same people who threatened to unsub last two xpacs threaten to unsub again.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    Part of what made Suramar possibly the best questing experience in WoW was doing it all from the ground. Meredil felt like an outpost in the wilds. Hunting for the leyline cave entrances felt like an accomplishment. Getting in and out of the Faronaar tunnels felt like a dungeon crawl. Suramar City felt huge and expansive, and dangerous on the ground.

That's great and all, but it doesn't mean we should get flying 8 months after finishing Suramar.

Also Ion said same as WoD and Legion but continue to finetune it, so instead of 1 year after launch and 8 months after launch we might get flying in BfA 4 months after launch

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    gtfo if you dont like it. The title matches what he is talking about, please post constructively next time.
    It really doesn't Jay. Because even Ion said they will look into the timing of Pathfinder. So while it is possible it's not coming in 8.0 it is equally possible that they will finally let us fucking get the reward for the achievement when we get the achi instead of 8 months later.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well that sucks.

Don't need flying unless they make zones that are godawful to navigate like Highmountain and Broken Shore.

Quote Originally Posted by Felfaadaern Darkterror View Post
    Very soon we can see the same people who threatened to unsub last two xpacs threaten to unsub again.
    Or you might start wondering why the world feels a bit more empty, and why you don't see anyone threatening to unsub

Two different types of people. Suramar was fucking awful. I HATE doing quest lines post max level. Its boring as fuck.

Flying should be available for people who don't give a shit about the nooks and crannies. That isn't why I play the game.

Every expansion I sub less and less because of the ridiculous expectations they have for people at level cap. You want me to do a quest line to unlock artifact traits? Make me do them during the leveling process so I am at least getting experience too.

I don't think I subbed for much longer than a couple of months this expansion. Maybe a couple weeks more than that in WoD. Getting worse and worse.

You guys continue to talk about how its the "minority" of players (with no actual factual basis) that want flying. Yet you ignore the fact that WoW has lost more than half of its subscriber count in the past few expansions and continues to down spiral every expansion. These are the people leaving because of things like no flying and other dissapointing things in the game that Blizzard continues to try to shove down players throats who aren't interested.

So if it is in fact the "minority" of subscribers who want flying right away, then its only because millions of subscribers have already fled.

But hey, have fun on that slowly sinking ship.
    Last edited by Alcsaar; 2017-11-13 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Martymark View Post
    Don't need flying unless they make zones that are godawful to navigate like Highmountain and Broken Shore.
    Even those weren't bad, imho, once you got the hang of them. They just took some getting used to.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    Two different types of people. Suramar was fucking awful. I HATE doing quest lines post max level. Its boring as fuck.

Flying should be available for people who don't give a shit about the nooks and crannies. That isn't why I play the game.

Every expansion I sub less and less because of the ridiculous expectations they have for people at level cap. You want me to do a quest line to unlock artifact traits? Make me do them during the leveling process so I am at least getting experience too.
    Put me in the Suramar was awesome camp. Absolutely the best zone Blizz has ever done, imho. That said, I agree the world would be dull if we all had the same tastes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Or you might start wondering why the world feels a bit more empty, and why you don't see anyone threatening to unsub
    Hey at least I'd have an easier time farming rares for mounts. Alas I play on Stormrage, and it's always full.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Exactly why I'm happy for this. The Stormheim mountain climb was great, too. You can do so much more with the content when you have to hunt things on the ground, find efficient routes through giant fortresses and navigate the hostile streets of suramar. With flying, all you can do is put things on the map for us to divebomb. I could stay on the ground while everyone's flying, but having flying feels like a cheat code that everyone else usually has on. Everything feels like less of an accomplishment. And beyond that, there are players who will complain when flying is taken away but have more fun with the quests on the ground than they thought they would have had.