Page 1 of 3
LastLast

American Themed Parties: This Is Really A Thing???

So I was actually in the middle of making this thread last night when my computer died, and now it's in the shop. Sad times. So since I'm on my phone I won't be providing links as proof, but apparently in Europe people sometimes throw American themed parties, with burgers, the American flag and red/white/blue everything, red solo cups (they actually seem to specifically seek these out for this very purpose), Americana decorations, and all other kind of goofy quirky things we don't even really think about here in the states.

So here's my question to all my fellow non-American. MMO-C posters: is this really a common thing? If it is, then why? Of course there's an element of satire to it, but these parties don't seem to be pure mockery or mean-spirited, but for the life of me I can't figure out why this is a thing. It's both amusing and confusing to this American.

Never heard of such a thing. Where in Europe did you hear about those parties being held?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninji
    "lets loose quik" is the only alliance pride I am aware of

Haven't seen this in Canada, but I don't think our parties are really different than in the US anyways.

Deleted
    No it isn't common

It's usually somebody does for a themed dinner party like Italian, French, Spanish, whatever. Some people may have American theme fancy dress parties but it's not exactly something many do regular

red solo cups (they actually seem to specifically seek these out for this very purpose)
    Murican party cups! One of your most famous exports

Deleted
    I had to Google Red Solo Cup and was immediately greeted with Red Party Cups, I wasn't aware this was American exclusive

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a negative Ghost Rider

10+ Year Old Account
    Never heard of them happening.

Cowboys and Indians themed party maybe, or based on an American film, but even then not particularly common apart from Disney stuff for kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Cariboulou View Post
    Never heard of such a thing. Where in Europe did you hear about those parties being held?
    There's a couple YouTube videos of them, one was a British girl's 21st birthday. But seriously, Google "American Theme Parties. There's a party supplier in Australia that specifically has a section for American parties, and there are European party supply companies that do the same. I've seen pictures and posts of parties from Norway, France, Italy...eh, fuck it, here's a couple links:

http://izismile.com/2014/03/07/how_o...y_25_pics.html
    https://matadornetwork.com/life/party-in-the-usa/

That's only two but I had a lot more before my computer died.

Never heard of it. You sure you didn't dream?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I had to Google Red Solo Cup and was immediately greeted with Red Party Cups, I wasn't aware this was American exclusive
    Only punk ass college drunks, pot heads, and idiots who worship keg parties buy them in red. Any decent person would buy them in any color other than red. They make nice blue ones, green ones, and orange ones

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    There's a couple YouTube videos of them, one was a British girl's 21st birthday. But seriously, Google "American Theme Parties. There's a party supplier in Australia that specifically has a section for American parties, and there are European party supply companies that do the same. I've seen pictures and posts of parties from Norway, France, Italy...eh, fuck it, here's a couple links:

They're not common

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post

Those pictures seem to be of the same dozen or so parties, you could probably find some Germany-themed parties in the US, it wouldn’t mean they are common.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    They're not common
    Good to know. I didn't get why they would be a thing at all.

Prepubescent easily impressed teenagers sometimes do this, influenced by american TV. Then they grow up and learn about the actual US and delete their facebook pages where they uploaded the pictures.

There’s shops for computers?!
    Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -Thomas Jefferson

I wouldnt see why it would be a problem especially in Eastern bloc countries.

There is places in Germany that hold British theme festivals!

Who cares if another country wants to celebrate another countries culture that mean any disrespect it just means people want to revel in something they would not normally do or experience.

Isnt that what we all strive for?

Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    There’s shops for computers?!
    Computer repair shops? Um...yes? There's repair shops everywhere. I'm sure Europe has them too.

I have American themed parties all the time.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I have American themed parties all the time.
    In Nevada? I dont believe you!!!!