Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    My reply to this would get me banned so I am leaving this thread.
    No please PM me I’m bored and need the lols.

Why the fuck did Tesco show Muslims celebrating Christmas if not to offend? What was the point of it? They could have easily showed Arab people but without hijabs or other Muslim objects.
    While it certainly seems stupid, it's not offensive.
    It would be like showing some 20 year old white dude drinking beer at a muslim's house during a celebration.
    What? I've yet to meet any muslim who have problems with non-muslims drinking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like any christmas ad, looks okay.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Dudes, think about 30 seconds

Turkey is a bird native from the Americas. Do you think it was part of the Christmas tradition ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Its funny that people get mad about the tradition of christmas when its not even historically when jesus was borne. Its off by several months. If only we could accept that its no longer a religious holiday and more a commercial and family one now.
    But it is associated to the Christianity.

Just as walking around with a Swastika on your T-Shirt - are you going to tell everyone "but it was symbol of the sun much before the Nazi used it"? I don't think so. Same case here.

Though I couldn't careless about that commercial it's really not offensive, it's just average commercial...

Deleted
    British people are really bad on screen

I cringed a lot

I actually preferred looking at the muslims and Indians

At least they were easier on the eye and more conventionally attractive

Brits really have stupid accents and look like poor peasants

maybe its just the advert idk

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    So this came as a surprise. After watching the newest Christmas advert here in the uk for tescos, I honestly didn't think much about it, I found it kinda boring and forgettable tbh. If anything the John Lewis advert was much better.

But this videos been panned on the voting, youtube comment section and on twitter. The controversy seeming to be over how the advert doesn't feature anything christian, yet does feature a muslim family with women wearing headscarves.

there has been some controversy earlier this year over tescos selling Halal meat, which involves the animal being killed in a brutal fashion for the consumer. It seems the combination of that, not showing any christian images in this advert showing multiple families, and showing a muslim one, all added up to pissing off the nation, also with its #EveryonesWelcome message (though excluding Christians from the look of it).

I do kind of agree with what people are saying, but again, the advert was so boring to me it didn't even leave any impact until I read though the reasons why people hated it.
    Oh, don't tell me that the people who say all the time ''get a tough skin'' and ''no safe space'' are again crying over the war on Christmas ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    My favourite is when people mention Cleopatra in relation to black history month.

The Guardian said Eratosthenes was a black mathematician recently, because he was born in Libya. My Greek-Cypriot father was born in Alexandria, which means I must be half black.
    Ugh, there were some black rulers in Egypt's long history, but the Ptolemies weren't black. I think that's an argument every Greek living in the Anglosphere has had to have at some point.

But yeah, the simplification of "if they were from the land-mass of Africa they must be essentially a Bantu African" is a painfully ignorant one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    So this came as a surprise. After watching the newest Christmas advert here in the uk for tescos, I honestly didn't think much about it, I found it kinda boring and forgettable tbh. If anything the John Lewis advert was much better.

But this videos been panned on the voting, youtube comment section and on twitter. The controversy seeming to be over how the advert doesn't feature anything christian, yet does feature a muslim family with women wearing headscarves.

there has been some controversy earlier this year over tescos selling Halal meat, which involves the animal being killed in a brutal fashion for the consumer. It seems the combination of that, not showing any christian images in this advert showing multiple families, and showing a muslim one, all added up to pissing off the nation, also with its #EveryonesWelcome message (though excluding Christians from the look of it).

I do kind of agree with what people are saying, but again, the advert was so boring to me it didn't even leave any impact until I read though the reasons why people hated it.
    What sort of adornment do Christians wear? Anyone of those white people could have been Christian. The only reason anyone can tell there were muslims was because they wear head scarves.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    Dudes, think about 30 seconds

Turkey is a bird native from the Americas. Do you think it was part of the Christmas tradition ?
    They’ve been part of the British Christmas tradition for about 500 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    What sort of adornment do Christians wear? Anyone of those white people could have been Christian. The only reason anyone can tell there were muslims was because they wear head scarves.
    Necklace with a cross?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Jewelry symbolizing the crucifixion usually. I can understand the push against a harmful and cancerous religion though. We really shouldn't show any tolerance to the belief structure that they claimed they wished to escape from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post
    Since when do muslims celebrate Christmas? the fuck
    If you ask that, you may also ask why do Atheists celebrate Christmas. My answer would be, because christmas is less of a religious holiday, and more of a fluff holiday for many.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    They’ve been part of the British Christmas tradition for about 500 years.
    You might notice that this is a fairly recent tradition then...

Not to mention that when turkeys arrived in England, the mode in England (and in the yet-to-be United States) was that celebrating Christmas was the epithome of popery...

Not to mention that when turkeys arrived in England, the mode in England (and in the yet-to-be United States) was that celebrating Christmas was the epithome of popery...
    Traditions are not immune to change.

Deleted
    Lol this is clearly just for ticking diversity boxes, but as its a commercial i really couldn't give a shit as i never watch TV anyway

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone a lot of muslims i know celebrate christmas as much as most people i know.

Ie, they have a family dinner and give each other a few naff presents.

This outcry this ridiculous. I'm an Atheist but still celebrate Christmas with the family, I'm more there for the family gathering and dinner than to it being a "Christian" thing... which is silly seeing how commercialized it is. And we often celebrate it with Hindu or Muslim friends over!

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Traditions are not immune to change.
    The turkey for Christmas and Thanksgiving in North America as a popular dish is a few centuries old at best. It would be silly to say it's a christian tradition.

- - - Updated - - -

I know people are too intelligent to think about this, but did it crossed your bright alt-right minds that (FTR, this add have some muslims, that's it) that the poultry company is trying to tap into new markets ?

The turkey for Christmas and Thanksgiving in North America as a popular dish is a few centuries old at best. It would be silly to say it's a christian tradition.
    So? That doesn't make it not tradition.

10+ Year Old Account

When Turkeys arrived in England, we were still Catholic. Puritans weren’t the dominant force until later.

And 500 years isn’t recent, it’s about a third of the time that England has been Christian.