Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    I was a really naughty kid. I was always curious and that often got me into trouble. I would cut open tires on my friends new bike to see what would happen. Or smash a tv with a hammer because I wanted to know what makes it work.
    Boy did I get good beating because I did that.
    Sounds like it was unsuccessful.

Many kids from my generation and older were physically punished and there is nothing wrong with us. On the contrary we had a lot more respect for the elders and behaved better.
    When I was a kid "in my day we had respect for our elders" was already a joke.

Literally every generation believes this - you can find the same sentiment in ancient Rome. It's called getting old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Because it's harmful? It breeds resentment? Abuse at home is a significant factor in maladaptive behavior.
    My parents only spanked me when it was something really bad. Sometimes I even got the belt, sure it hurt but I learned my lesson. The only resentment I feel is towards parents who has the "perfect can do no wrong" child. They talk back, do anything they want and what happens?. Nothing! Remember The Affluenza Defense case?

Children need to know some things are not okay and a timeout only serves to give them time to think of the next stupid thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Sounds like it was unsuccessful.
    Yeah if you have to repeatedly do something and still don't get the result you want, that's not successful

7+ Year Old Account
    a Nice beating sure did work on me, fearing adults all my teenage years and a great distrust in other people sure did build some character. Anxiety and Paranoia.

It's not for everyone.

Deleted
    Just on some side note: I want link to Elias's civilization theory. I don't think any social process is more active than what he described as "civilization". This is the answer for anyone who don't understands Trump voters.

Quote Originally Posted by redwolfrain View Post
    My parents only spanked me when it was something really bad. Sometimes I even got the belt, sure it hurt but I learned my lesson. The only resentment I feel is towards parents who has the "perfect can do no wrong" child. They talk back, do anything they want and what happens?. Nothing! Remember The Affluenza Defense case?

Children need to know some things are not okay and a timeout only serves to give them time to think of the next stupid thing to do.
    Guess what? My parents didn't touch me when I did something wrong other than move me or restrain me. Am I misbehaving? Committing crime? Am I doing drugs? No.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    Uhm, no we weren't. I don't know a single person younger than my grandparents who were beaten as a child.
    SWEDEN.
    The country of feminazis and people who try to fix the whole world.
    I'm sorry but even though I live in Sweden I just can't take anything serious from the Swedish culture. It's actually what triggered this post. It's just one of many stupid Swedish rules.
    Go back to being vikings, not manbun boys.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    Just on some side note: I want link to Elias's civilization theory. I don't think any social process is more active than what he described as "civilization". This is the answer for anyone who don't understands Trump voters.
    SWEDEN.
    I'm sorry but even though I live in Sweden I just can't take anything serious from the Swedish culture. It's actually what triggered this post. It's just one of many stupid Swedish rules.
    There isn't a more perfect link

Not spanking kids is the reason why there is so many little assholes doing whatever they want while the parents make sure the the bubblewrap doesn't come off nowadays

10+ Year Old Account
    Lmao your own post argues against you. If you were a naughty bairn and kept getting hit why didn't you stop? Clearly didn't work on you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Guess what? My parents didn't touch me when I did something wrong other than move me or restrain me. Am I misbehaving? Committing crime? Am I doing drugs? No.
    You must be one of the rare kids. But then again you're asian. You're still somewhat traditional.

Today's kids have sex and smoke at 13-14 years of age. This was almost unthinkable back when I was a kid.

10+ Year Old Account
    SWEDEN.
    Go back to being violent, destructive rapists?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Lmao your own post argues against you. If you were a naughty bairn and kept getting hit why didn't you stop? Clearly didn't work on you.
    Except that it did if you actually bothered to read my post.

You must be one of the rare kids. But then again you're asian. You're still somewhat traditional.

Today's kids have sex and smoke at 13-14 years of age. This was almost unthinkable back when I was a kid.
    There is nothing rare about not misbehaving, not becoming criminal or a drug addict because you weren't spanked as a kid. It's quite normal in fact.

This was definitely happening in the 80s.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

10+ Year Old Account
    No beating your kid any kind of physical punishment is abuse and should be treated like any other kind of abuse or cruelty. There is no reason an adult needs to put their hands on a kid to attack them unless they are simply a shitty parent and shouldn't have kids.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    It was happening in the 50's 60's and 70's too.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Go back to being violent, destructive rapists?
    It can indeed be called a renaissance of Barbary. These people cannot understand the world anymore, they judge the social sensitization as evil or bad. They feel like they don't "fit" anymore. And they know, it's too late - in future their values and mindset will no longer be welcome. This creates fear, "Angst". And this is what all the current "PC"-movement is about. It's unavoidable.

It has a bad taste as well - urbanization. But I'm positive that we can return to villages and outbacks and bring them "civilization"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    No beating your kid any kind of physical punishment is abuse and should be treated like any other kind of abuse or cruelty. There is no reason an adult needs to put their hands on a kid to attack them unless they are simply a shitty parent and shouldn't have kids.

- - - Updated - - -

It was happening in the 50's 60's and 70's too.
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    Not as often. Today's kids are way worse.
    I've also worked few years ago with kids aged 12-16. I saw things parents didn't see about their kids.
    The kid at home is not the same kid at school or outside. In many cases.

Some people are unable to differentiate between disciplining a child and abusing them. Your best bet is to just ignore them. It's not illegal to use force when disciplining a child. Physical abuse is a different matter entirely. As someone who experienced life in different households as a juvenile where one was abusive and the other wasn't but did use spankings, there's a world of difference. The spankings were humiliating not physically dangerous. We can find a study that proves anything we want nowadays when it comes to the social sciences because the bulk of them are speculative and they can't prove causation, they show a correlation and jump to whatever conclusion they want to find anyways. And even better is when people link to studies to prove a point, when all they're doing is demonstrating they're stupid enough to fail to understand that correlation != causation and then they show the world they buy into junk pretending to be science. If the results of those studies were true we'd have generations upon generations of folks who all have mental health issues. We don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    There is no reason an adult needs to put their hands on a kid to attack them unless they are simply a shitty parent and shouldn't have kids.
    I guess I'm very fortunate my mother didn't think like that, otherwise I never would've been born.