Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Yes lets put the blame on the school and CNN. Not the kid who wore a shirt to clearly get attention and start shit. Him wearing that shirt is no different then me wearing a shirt saying "Fuck the Police" while on a field trip to a police station.

Its disrespectful and inappropriate.

Schools also try to distance themselves from the political BS that is going on. Having students wearing a shirt that says "Fake News" goes against that.
    So you're going to avoid answering my question and instead offer false equivalencies? Thanks for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
    So you're going to avoid answering my question and instead offer false equivalencies? Thanks for nothing.
    I did answer it, You accuse it of being a false equivalence because you have no defense in your argument. The kid is in the wrong, deal with it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    So basically you admit to trying to troll me, where's endus lol.
    Some people are covered in infractatory Teflon on this here forum. You should know that by know my friend.

Ever on to topic...
    School should have wear uniforms.

That's a ballsy kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I wonder if a kid went on a school excursion to a veteran's monument with a "soldiers are baby killers" t-shirt on, and the school made him remove it, would tony be equally outraged? Kek.

How is the first amendment violated here?

By that logic you'd have to say the same of any school that has a uniform.
    This is @supertony51 he doesn't understand what the first amendment means. He's a "not republican".

OP: This is perfectly reasonable. The child was wearing something intentionally provocative for no reason other than to push his parents' political views.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    They really do stop. A kid cannot cuss out his teacher, and he has to follow a dress code.

DOn't get me wrong, I'd love more freedom of speech, but then again, I want schooling to be privatized, so this would never be an issue.
    They can cuss their teacher. They can refuse to follow code.
    Not without consequences by the other party, the school, which also has freedoms. But they won't be put in trial for cussing, or breaking code.
    They really don't stop anywhere. And they work just as anywhere else.

Private schools, far as freedoms go, operate in the same way.

7+ Year Old Account
    I should look into it further? What have you contributed? Can you disprove this?

"Tinker v. Des Moines. In their verdict, the court vindicated Tinker by saying students do not “shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate.”

So whos right, you? Or the law?
    There seems to be a tone of exception to your Tinker v. Des Moines, and you can actually limit free speech in school... "subsequent Court decisions have determined limitations on the scope of student free speech rights''

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    The school was not wrong. They probably just wanted to avoid controversy instead of this becoming another social media fuckfest.

If you do a bit of law research you'll find that the school had every right to tell that kid to put on a different shirt.
    They were wrong and they admitted it. They fucked up, just like you're doing now.

Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    They can cuss their teacher. They can refuse to follow code.
    Not without consequences by the other party, the school, which also has freedoms. But they won't be put in trial for cussing, or breaking code.
    They really don't stop anywhere. And they work just as anywhere else.

Private schools, far as freedoms go, operate in the same way.
    And they kid was free to wear that shirt, until he was told to take it off...

The school wanted to stop the kid from acting like an asshole, something schools do all the time.

School probably thought he was being disrespectful.

In my opinion, they missed out on a valuable learning experience. If I was his teacher, I would have made him stand in the front of the class during the field trip, pointed out his shirt to the entire group, and asked him to explain why he was wearing it and what his beliefs were regarding fake news. Then the tour could have spent time discussing the many ways they make sure their news is not fake news, how to determine what is fake news, etc.

Even if it all went over his head/is too indoctrinated into extremist ideologies (as I consider the right's claim about CNN to be), the lesson should still have been taught. Schools are supposed to teach children critical thinking, which should include the ability to critically examine one's own beliefs.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalador View Post
    There seems to be a tone of exception to your Tinker v. Des Moines, and you can actually limit free speech in school... "subsequent Court decisions have determined limitations on the scope of student free speech rights''
    How does that relate to this case? It's a pretty broad statement, "have determined limitations on the scope of student free speech rights", got any specifics on how it makes me wrong on this case?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ip-to-cnn.html

This is dumb, the school had no right to request him to remove his t-shirt. Now, if CNN told him he couldn't enter the premises with the shirt on, thats one thing, but the school should always support the 1st amendment.
    Considering that 35 years ago after a field trip to Washington D.C. my Political Science teacher threw my friend's copy of the Constitution in the trash to make a point that he didn't have freedom of speech, this does not surprise me in the slightest. Another reason I support forcing teachers out of the schools when they engage in teaching that is slanted on their ideology rather than actual facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    School probably thought he was being disrespectful.

In my opinion, they missed out on a valuable learning experience. If I was his teacher, I would have made him stand in the front of the class during the field trip, pointed out his shirt to the entire group, and asked him to explain why he was wearing it and what his beliefs were regarding fake news. Then the tour could have spent time discussing the many ways they make sure their news is not fake news, how to determine what is fake news, etc.

Even if it all went over his head/is too indoctrinated into extremist ideologies (as I consider the right's claim about CNN to be), the lesson should still have been taught. Schools are supposed to teach children critical thinking, which should include the ability to critically examine one's own beliefs.
    You know damn well that would have been a bigger issue than making him change it lol. His parents would have said it was a direct attack on his political views. And the drones would have rallied so hard.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nope, I Just linked you the larger context of the (old) law case you keep copy-pasting without understanding it.

Supreme court has tried a number of cases like these before where the school had the right to deny the constitutional rights of their students within certain context, eg. to punish bully behavior or inappropriate behavior outside the school grounds, etc. etc.
    And those cases often get appealed and settled out of court by the ACLU, do some research. Did you even read what you linked?

"but it must be able to show that its action was caused by something more than a mere desire to avoid the discomfort and unpleasantness that always accompany an unpopular viewpoint,"

Do you think they can do that? I doubt it. Why do you think they backed off and apologized? I'll give you a hint. THEY WERE WRONG.

Sadly it's true in a school the students rights are taken away even though im a liberal you should've still been able to wear the shirt since some stuff of cnn is messed up.

10+ Year Old Account
    CNN are such assholes that they would bar any students from that school or district because one single student criticized them? You know how ridiculous that sounds right?

- - - Updated - - -

How so? CNN is a company that employs adults, are you saying they are going to be so offset by this shirt they cant continue on with their daily routine? Or are you saying that the kids will be laughing so hard the entire trip because of a shirt they wont learn anything? Either way, ridiculous.
    It's not just CNN. I've had my class be banned from golf courses because a student dressed like an ass. Any company can revoke s relationship and often have

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    You know damn well that would have been a bigger issue than making him change it lol. His parents would have said it was a direct attack on his political views. And the drones would have rallied so hard.
    I don't think it would have been. I mean, if they were like, "lol fucking kid what an idiot" and then ignored him then yeah maybe, but you can be respectful to a kid while asking him why he thought of CNN as fake news. And this would have given the teacher as well as the tour guide an opportunity to talk about things like sources + standard journalistic practices, ethics in journalism, editorial review, etc.

I'm not saying the kid would have changed his mind, just that a learning opportunity was missed. And not just for him, for the entire class.

Seems like our dear forum members are overblowing this, as usual.
    School apologised. Even if just for PR, this means that they were wrong and the kid could have worn it. Grow a thicker skin, please.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nope. They weren't wrong at all, probably just wanted to avoid the hassle, and nobody gets to overturn supreme court rulings...
    Seems the school and most importantly the law disagree with you. Thanks for playing, but you're just a waste of time at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf View Post
    school is prohibiting free speech imo

but at the same time, that's the parents opinion. probably not the kid's.

kids dont give a shit about politics.
    was thinking the same thing.