Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Yes you are wrong
    If I'm wrong then prove it's the special edition.

Still waiting...

As usual you try to claim people are wrong with no factual evidence to back it up. And no, a one liner with no explanation from a 3rd party not even related to the project doesn't prove anything. If you think it does you been drinking some serious kool aid.

Its in the video.......

/facepalm.
    No where in the video did they show where it's obvious. They showed all the features it lacks which makes it clearly not the special edition. They didn't even comment on the single thing it shares in common with the SE in the water engine.

... /facepalm

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Is it obvious? Care to point out how it's obvious?

I look at a game with terrible foliage pop in, lack of DoF and no volumetric lighting and it has last gen written all over it. Not even last gen remaster, just straight up last gen.
    Im not going to argue with you all day about this. Ive watched a good bit of stuff and laugh if you want, but everyone thinks it looks a lot better than last gen. Now other than DF its like game informer and other sites like that with no credibility, but if everyone thinks it looks better but you, maybe you are too sensitive to graphical stuff as a self proclaimed "industry insider".

As usual you try to claim people are wrong with no factual evidence to back it up.
    Besides a video that goes into detail's about it that you are ignoring. But hey I'm not going to spend 10 pages arguing with you about it. Feel free to be the only one in the thread screaming it isn't.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Im not going to argue with you all day about this. Ive watched a good bit of stuff and laugh if you want, but everyone thinks it looks a lot better than last gen. Now other than DF its like game informer and other sites like that with no credibility, but if everyone thinks it looks better but you, maybe you are too sensitive to graphical stuff as a self proclaimed "industry insider".
    So the goalpost moving is now claiming some strawman that said I don't think it looks better then the last gen versions? Did you take my last gen comment was too literal when I was speaking about games in general? Probably not, probably just a goalpost moving strawman argument.

I'm just waiting for the part where you claim it's "obvious" that it's the special edition when I can make the vanilla PC version look nearly 1:1 identical with no mods and the only difference would be the water.

Is the 2011 PC version of Skyrim the special edition now?

- - - Updated - - -

Besides a video that goes into detail's about it that you are ignoring.
    Which ones are those? The video talks about the color hue(which is something anyone on PC can do easily and even console users can do if they want to mess with TV calibration on a game to game basis).

Then they talk about resolution, which has nothing to do with any of this. I can run vanilla skyrim in 12k, irrelevant to the discussion.

Then they talked about lighting, which the Switch version has vanilla lighting and completely lacks the new volumetric lighting system used in FO4 and Skyrim SE.

Then they talked about LoD, DoF and foliage all of which are vanilla skyrim comparable and look nothing like the SE. The foiliage is even worse then vanilla Skyrim on PC which has almost no pop in at all even on mad toaster systems.

So please enlighten me which part of the video did I miss that proves it's the SE? Was it the part where they mention 10 different times the game is "impressive for being mobile"? Cool drinking game, whenever watching a DF video on Switch games drink any time it's mentioned being impressive for mobile.

10+ Year Old Account
    It has new water, and I could be wrong on this one, but I think new foliage that wasn't in the original skyrim. So they didn't add water into the old version, they took the new version and removed a lot. How is that not obvious?

7+ Year Old Account
    There were plenty of media outlets that have expressly stated that they had confirmation from Bethesda that the Switch version was based upon the special edition, rather than the original.

Edit: Heck, the news article for the Switch on Bethesda's own site even tags itself with "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition"

https://bethesda.net/en/article/28fA...ow-go-anywhere
    Last edited by Sheevah; 2017-11-17 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheevah View Post
    There were plenty of media outlets that have expressly stated that they had confirmation from Bethesda that the Switch version was based upon the special edition, rather than the original.
    Based on does not = it is this now. I do appreciate the claims without link, but even with a link this doesn't prove someone wrong when they say it's not the special edition. It's not marketed as it, nor does it have most of the newer graphical bells and whistles that make it what it was. Obviously it was based on the most recent version of the game which probably has the most optimized code.

Edit: Heck, the news article for the Switch on Bethesda's own site even tags itself with "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition"

https://bethesda.net/en/article/28fA...ow-go-anywhere
    But there literally is no tag on their site for non SE Skryim... No where has Bethesda ever called it the special edition, and it looks closer to vanilla then SE. No one can factually prove anyone wrong for saying it's not the SE which is what spawned this silly argument in the first place. If, I or anyone else says that you can't factually prove it wrong.

7+ Year Old Account
    But there literally is no tag on their site for non SE Skryim...
    Yes, there is. Take for example this article where it references Skyrim as special edition in the URL but is tagged with just "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim"

https://bethesda.net/en/article/6OX8...wolfenstein-ii

I do think the distinction to make in this scenario is that what is on the Switch is not the special edition. It is a separate version that is based on the special edition, rather than the original game.

Edit: Give me a moment and I'll look up some of the links that expressly stated they talked to Bethesda if you want that.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/59130...ion/index.html
    http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/09/...n-mod-support/
    https://www.eteknix.com/bethesda-dir...ntendo-switch/
    Last edited by Sheevah; 2017-11-17 at 10:23 PM.

Yes, there is. Take for example this article where it references Skyrim as special edition in the URL but is tagged with just "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim"

https://bethesda.net/en/article/6OX8...wolfenstein-ii
    Ah I see, I couldn't find one when I tried searching for it but their site is ass. Either way it was probably a mistake as that article doesn't have that tag referencing the Switch version.

I do think the distinction to make in this scenario is that what is on the Switch is not the special edition. It is a separate version that is based on the special edition, rather than the original game.
    This is pretty much what it comes down to.

I think people are either getting defensive because if it's not SE it must be 2011 Xbox 360 Skyrim or something when the truth is it's Skyrim for Nintendo Switch. It's not the special edition, and it's not the vanilla version it's a game that was specifically optimized for the Switch(as funny as talking about optimization with Bethesda is).

If it was the Special Edition it would be marketed as such, Bethesda obviously isn't because there is enough major differences that could cause a shit storm if they did.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-11-17 at 10:21 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Ah I see, I couldn't find one when I tried searching for it but their site is ass. Either way it was probably a mistake as that article doesn't have that tag referencing the Switch version.
    Interestingly enough, apparently the original article title, and not just the URL, featured the wording "Special Edition". Reddit caught on to it and had an interesting discussion (Edit: by interesting, I mean reddit standards... so yeah):

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwi...ecial_edition/

But anyways, I don't really have anything more productive to add to this one, so I'll see myself out.

So I got Skyrim for Switch and am enjoying it (I actually really like the joycon lockpicking controls...you can FEEL the tumblers and when the pick is in the right spot). But my ONE MAJOR gripe is: the game is too damn dark! There is no in-game brightness control, and in some of the darker areas of the game it's basically complete blackness. While some may argue this adds immersion......they should still add a gamma slider. Even some of the regularly lit areas feel a bit darker than they should be.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Does Skyrim still maps the "activate" function to the B button (which the nintendo controller marks "A")?

Ahh, gaming forums 2017:

GRAPHICS, GRAPHICS, GRAPHICS, GRAPHICS.

Who the fuck cares about graphics you morons.

Sent from my F8331 with Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    So I got Skyrim for Switch and am enjoying it (I actually really like the joycon lockpicking controls...you can FEEL the tumblers and when the pick is in the right spot). But my ONE MAJOR gripe is: the game is too damn dark! There is no in-game brightness control, and in some of the darker areas of the game it's basically complete blackness. While some may argue this adds immersion......they should still add a gamma slider. Even some of the regularly lit areas feel a bit darker than they should be.
    Just change the brightness on your tv...

Sent from my F8331 with Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mrgibb View Post
    Clearly many people do, Surprised you haven't figured that out yet.

If graphic's wasn't something people cared about we would all still be playing on Atari's.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Ahh, gaming forums 2017:

GRAPHICS, GRAPHICS, GRAPHICS, GRAPHICS.

In certain games I do.

Graphics don't always make a game but in some games it's a huge selling point. To deny that is just silly. Gameplay matters more but would you expect a game like The Witcher or a Horizon sequel to come out looking like a PS2/PS3 game?

And Skyrim is actually graphics due to how much it can be modded on non Switch versions. You can literally make it look better than a lot of games do today.

The Switch advantage is portability. So while it can't be modded I don't believe for a second that they couldn't have just toned down the lighting a bit or put a solution in to counter the darkness issue a few players are experiencing.

- - - Updated - - -

Just change the brightness on your tv...
    Or you know they could add a Gamma slider to counter the brightness issues? It's a little update at best.

You know since they removed some lighting effects?

Rather than have the user consistently changing their brightness for a game which in turn just creates a consistent issue. Because if it has to be upped on Skyrim then that means other games that don't need it are going to look rotten in terms of brightness.

When you make a game you take aspects like these into mind and find a solution which in this case would be a gamma/brightness slider. Not try and blame the user for the poor lighting that causes dark areas to appear way darker.

But if you want to talk gameplay wise then let's go. It's Skyrim. A 6 year old game that has been milked to death by Bethesda and will play like it does on every other system. There's no point retreading the same ground explaining in depth a game that's 6 years old and has been released on multiple systems. There's nothing special about this version other than it's one advantage which is portability.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-11-18 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    There's nothing special about this version other than it's one advantage which is portability.
    That isn't special ether.

Seeing how both the Vita and Nivida shield can make Skyrim portable or just play it on a windows tablet. Skyrim and Portability isn't a new concept at all, It just mite be smoother on The Switch.

To be honest I would be more impressed of a IOS/Android port then a Switch port.

Clearly many people do, Surprised you haven't figured that out yet.

If graphic's wasn't something people cared about we would all still be playing on Atari's.
    But it only becomes prominent discussion point between Nintendo vs others, when it's about consoles vs PC they scream foul if you mention graphics.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    But it only becomes prominent discussion point between Nintendo vs others, when it's about consoles vs PC they scream foul if you mention graphics.
    Nah, I remember when Uncharted 4, The Order 1886, and Horizon: Zero Dawn came out. Graphics were VERY important for those weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.