Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

I have lost almost every long-term friend from back then.

Yo, I just realized I have lost almost all my friends which I considered life-time friends. They all started dating girls and eventually married or just silently moved away from me over the years. It was a slow process, since I like to live solitary I have it especially rough. I have only 1 contact left that kinda feels the same but the distance is too far to meet weekly. I am not complaining I like the way my life shaped up as I have 100% freedom and can do whatever I want. I just thought one of my dozens friends would feel the same and stay with me till the end. I am 32 years old now and have none left that shares my lifestyle choice. Is nobody enjoying a life without a significant other as much as I do? xD

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I'm 48 and I still talk to my childhood friends on facebook..but it ain't the same by a large margin.

- - - Updated - - -

seems they all grew up and I didnt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I'm 48 and I still talk to my childhood friends on facebook..but it ain't the same by a large margin.

- - - Updated - - -

I will never grow up, I just like chilling at home, playing games or watching a movie and end the day that way. I don't have a lot of urges to go out other than work and some fitness I do to not die with 50 from a random stroke.

Honestly, IV considered being single just to have more freedom and play games and eat what I want.

But the gf told me no

It happens really. All of my friends got married and popped out babies. I barely see any of them now since their life is now their family. Either try to find your own relationship or welcome to the forever alone club, we have cake and cookies all to ourselves!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qnubi View Post
    Yo, I just realized I have lost almost all my friends which I considered life-time friends. They all started dating girls and eventually married or just silently moved away from me over the years. It was a slow process, since I like to live solitary I have it especially rough. I have only 1 contact left that kinda feels the same but the distance is too far to meet weekly. I am not complaining I like the way my life shaped up as I have 100% freedom and can do whatever I want. I just thought one of my dozens friends would feel the same and stay with me till the end. I am 32 years old now and have none left that shares my lifestyle choice. Is nobody enjoying a life without a significant other as much as I do? xD
    Exactly what I've been saying.

Most people get married, have kids and live happily ever after. You're likely to end up lonely and sad if you don't do the same.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qnubi View Post
    so you figured at least some of your friends would remain no-life losers like you, got it. Enjoy being lonely when youre elderly. Its people like you who die off real fast once they hit the old folks home, nothing to live for and all that

Honestly, I talk to people from high school/my friends from undergrad on facebook but we are not close. There are people out here I'd like to get to know better, but don't really like most of my close group of friends out here in Portland. Think we're growing apart. They make me look politically conservative by comparison, and I'm really not.

Friendships come and go. Not really anyone's fault. Go make new ones.

After you get to be a certain age people will say you're gay if you hang out with your male friends, unless you're married or have girlfriends with you, then it's okay.

I call my friends on the telephone, play wow with them and follow them on Facebook and twitter but we aren't going to go to the movies together like when we were 14.

It's just the way things are.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Times change. People change. Tastes change, interests shift.

I made the decision to walk away from the friends I had and the toxicity of their lives that spilled over into pretty much everything they involved themselves with. For some, it was drug use, for others it was infidelity. Some had kids. Others expected people to take sides. Sometimes, losing someone in your life can be a good thing. Yeah, it sucks, but you learn from it and move on. Take the good parts, the good things that you found in those people and if you're lucky, you can find those qualities in new friends. Just takes patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Just be the creepy old guy hanging with younger people!

I broke it off with several of my childhood friends once they popped out a kid and then decided I had to conform to their life choices lest "my life won't matter!!!"...

They tried to "reel me back in" a few years back, but within 10 minutes they'd ganged up on me and trying desperately to make me "see the light". They're almost worse than my grandmother, and she was a Jehova's Witness...

Yeah, no. I've got friends sharing my interests, my family and animals to keep me company. I'm good!

I have a few friends that I have known since elementary school(40+ years) that I talk with on a regular basis. Two of them are actually in my guild. My wife and I have been “friends” since Jr High. I have several friends that I have known for a few decades through various car clubs my wife and I are involved with the area.
    Hell, my father is even regularly sees a friend of his that he has known for over 70 years. Coincidentally they just happen to end up in the same area as adults from small ass East Texas town of less than 1,000 people.

If you and your friends share the same hobbies and such there shouldn’t be any reason for you to drift apart.

So basically you're saying you're a real quality individual that anyone would want as a friend?

I'm in the same situation, with the exception of my brother, but even then he already has plans to move out in early 2018. 2 Joined the air force, 1 in the army, and another is about to become a dad, and the last time I hung out with them face-to-face was over a year and a half ago. It can be quite crippling at times and the memes can only numb it so much. Time's changed everyone but I'm still the same, stuck in 2007. /Pityparty

Deleted
    Still have the some of my friends from childhood left. Haven't seen one in almost 2 years though as we live on different sides of the earth, it's no Biggie though as we always pick up like no time was lost.

I live in France and 3 of my closest friends in Sweden but it's only a 2 hour flight from Paris. When i go back I always meet up with atleast one of them even if it's just for the weekend.

Just make some new friends on the way. There is alot of absolutely awesome people to find,bit like Pokémon.
    There is sure to be people in the same situation as you. Just need to leave the house to have a chance to find them.

Welcome to getting older. Be happy that you have any left at all.

Having a wife in which you have to eat the meals she wants to eat and go to the places she wants you to go with her sounds like a living hell. Having children and having to put them first before yourself also sounds like a living hell. Would be nice to have a companion that wants to do all the stuff you want to do though.

Same goes for friends. Having to do a bunch of stuff you don't want to do just to hang out with friends.
    Last edited by Nihilist74; 2017-11-19 at 05:55 AM.