Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'm almost finished watching him on H3H3's podcast and it's been very fascinating and enriching.
    I am gay and very vocal for the support of lgbtq rights, and I don't necessarily have the same assessment as he does of gender identity. BUT I am a staunch supporter of freedom of speech as well and I stand with him on it. The way he's been treated and slandered is awful. The hypothetical policing of language is a dangerous lane to tread on. However, according to what I've read, it's a point of contention if the bill actually entails such a thing. One of the lawyers I heard only referred 2 alterations, one is about people promoting genocide and the other is about aggravating circumstances in tried and proven cases of abuse/violence/etc.

In any case, the pushback I've seen him get has all been very embarrassing and misinformed. I do not stand with unreasonable and emotional manipulation of public discourse and I do not stand with censorship. I believe any progressive person who really wants to evolve how people see and understand social issues does not stand with that kind of oppressive dynamic of thought and discourse.
    Being gay and dealing with homophobia like that would have led me nowhere. If people have a negative reaction to that facet of my life, shunning them and screaming that "I'm offended" at them won't be productive in any way. Only through having a conversation where everyone can bare their thoughts unrestrained can we all learn about each other and come out the other way more knowledgeable about why the other person thinks the way they do, and maybe start to think differently.
    Not that I'm saying there's an equivalence to both sides, because I think there isn't. But only through open conversation can you understand the root of why people are homophobic and challenge it. Many people have never met a gay person or a transgender person. Many people have lived their whole lives without having to think about it. It's unreasonable to ask these people to miraculously and automatically understand everything about it.

As a person on the left, I am embarrassed by the attitudes of many representing left wing activism. Freedom of speech shouldn't be a right wing issue, it should transverse across the political spectrum. I condemn these strategies of discourse manipulation that have become a staple on the left. It seems like a different version of the same oppression that the right has used by claiming religious/moral superiority over issues (like lgbtq issues ironically).

And political controversies aside, this man has really interesting insight into his field of study (psychology) and he has made me think on how to improve myself and know myself better. Which is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    Process of changing? How many people do that?
    You should look that up, as I don't know and don't care
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

The youth and young adults of today have no great battle to fight. They have no oppression against them.

These dumbass kids hear stories of hippies protesing Nam and they see images of people standing in front of tanks defiantly, and they think to themselves,

"Where is my fight?"

There is none. All of this social justice outrage is insecurity from living in an age where everything is handed to you on a silver plater. Humans are built to struggle. When there is no struggle, they are lost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit these people are insane.

https://globalnews.ca/video/3867811/extended-excerpts-from-secretly-recorded-meeting-between-wilfrid-laurier-university-grad-student-and-faculty

TLDW:
    The student in trouble in this thread had to meet with her professors... She secretly recorded the meeting... They explain to the student how she violated their gender and sexual violence policies by "harming" gender non-conforming students via showing a video of Jordan B. Peterson...

How showing the video "violated their human rights" under Canadian law... They literally compare Jordan B. Peterson to Hitler during the conversation.
    Last edited by I Push Buttons; 2017-11-20 at 02:19 AM.

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    This forum is pretty hilariously obsessed with policing trans and non-binary folks given the number of threads that get locked in a given day.

I could really care less about this situation, but I wanted to point out this notion that us trans and / or intersex people trying to have an open discussion over issues that cause us a tremendous amount of distress is the most disingenuous argument out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    He's just a professor who has a youtube channel and said he didn't want to be forced into PC language.

I just don't see the issue. A TA showed a video of a debate on an issue relevant to current politics, and she gets compared to aiding Hitler.
    Well, alt Right Nazis do love him, though.

Peterson is a crazy person and a Christian fundamentalist.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, neither Peterson, nor the folks in this thread apparently, know that the law does not punish people for not using the correct pronoun.

It merely meant that transgender individuals are now protected under the Canadian Human Rights Act. So the guy got famous because he is too stupid to read.
    Last edited by Elba; 2017-11-20 at 02:23 AM.

This topic is against forum rules. I'm not a mod just stepping up to help.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenGoldSharpie View Post
    This forum is pretty hilariously obsessed with policing trans and non-binary folks given the number of threads that get locked in a given day.

I could really care less about this situation, but I wanted to point out this notion that us trans and / or intersex people trying to have an open discussion over issues that cause us a tremendous amount of distress is the most disingenuous argument out there.
    Don't you know that treating a marginalized minority of 0.3% of the population with a modicum of respect will result in the downfall of Western civilization?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Don't you know that treating a marginalized minority of 0.3% of the population with a modicum of respect will result in the downfall of Western civilization?
    With a 9th grade understanding of biology, no less.

it really fucks them up when I tell folks about the fact the AIS runs in my family.

Did wonders for the middle east after all...

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Did wonders for the middle east after all...
    Questionmark

People are sexually abusing their children by subjecting them to hormone treatments and crossdressing and all manner of filth, and this is inspired primarily by this so-called "marginalized" minority. Your priorities in who you show pity and concern for are out of whack.

- - - Updated - - -

Naw, trans and non-binary, and their enablers, are trying to police others, making them bend the knee by acknowledging fictional pronouns and such.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Incredibale View Post
    Naw, trans and non-binary, and their enablers, are trying to police others, making them bend the knee by acknowledging fictional pronouns and such.
    Your life must be so difficult. I don't know how you go on.

The right wing persecution complex never ceases to amaze me.

Who the fuck cares about a pronoun? Just call them by their name.

7+ Year Old Account
    Life is difficult when people think you're an asshole for intentionally crapping on minorities.

Well, don't pretend trans are oppressed, because they're not.

- - - Updated - - -

Projection.

- - - Updated - - -

Life is difficult when people think you're an asshole for intentionally crapping on minorities.
    "Minorities" like people who make conscious decisions in how their lives are led and impose laws and social policies on people, harming those who won't buy into their fictional pronouns.

If a dialectic about any subject makes you uncomfortable, you're not mature enough to function as an adult. There's nothing more to say about it than that. It's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Incredibale View Post
    "Minorities" like people who make conscious decisions in how their lives are led and impose laws and social policies on people, harming those who won't buy into their fictional pronouns.
    You poor thing. There, there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    This topic is against forum rules. I'm not a mod just stepping up to help.
    Beyond that, aren't you concerned that this is happening in your own country?