Deleted

Should i tweak my current build or build a new one?

So my computer is fairly old now and it is struggling to play a lot of new games on anything other than low settings, so i've decided its time for me to upgrade. However, not knowing much about hardware i am unsure if i am able to just upgrade a few bits of my pc or if i should build a whole new one.

my current specs are:

CPU: I5-3570k @3.40GHz
    GPU: Nvidia Geforce 560Ti
    Mobo: ASRock Z77 Pro4
    Ram: 8GB DDR4
    PSU: I have no idea, a 520w something.

So yeah, should i just take advantage of blackfriday / cyber monday and build a new rig or just upgrade a part or two of this. Im not worried about being able to play games in ultra, just medium would be nice

Thanks people of mmo-c.

if you can find out what brand / model your PSU is that'd be cool! - don't wanna recommend a £300 graphics card and then risk a cheap psu frying it for dinner!

a new graphics card in that machine will feel like night and day! and now for some obligatory questions before we can recommend a specific card:

what do you play?
    what resolution do you play at?
    bonus question: is that cpu overclocked?!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    if you can find out what brand / model your PSU is that'd be cool! - don't wanna recommend a £300 graphics card and then risk a cheap psu frying it for dinner!

a new graphics card in that machine will feel like night and day! and now for some obligatory questions before we can recommend a specific card:

what do you play?
    what resolution do you play at?
    bonus question: is that cpu overclocked?!
    I think this one is my PSU:

Antec 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

No my CPU is not currently overclocked.

I play a range of stuff from WoW, overwatch, battlefield 1, divinty original sin2, total war warhammer 2. All my games are played at 1920 x 1080at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Peggle View Post

I play a range of stuff from WoW, overwatch, battlefield 1, divinty original sin2, total war warhammer 2. All my games are played at 1920 x 1080at the moment.
    Get a GTX 1060 6GB another 8GB of DDR 3 ram and maybe switch your PSU if its old but 520W is enough for a i5 and a 1060.
    Maybe get a good air cooler too if you dont own one already and OC your CPU if the 1060 wont give you enough power.

Sounds like that PSU is getting pretty old. I'd certainly replace it before slapping a new GPU in there. What kind of cooler do you have on that CPU? They still shipped stock coolers with the k-series when that came out, so if you have a stock cooler replace it with something nice like a NH-D15 if that will fit in your case. Get a new PSU, new GPU and OC your CPU and you'll be fine. That CPU has a couple years left in it at least.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Get a GTX 1060 6GB another 8GB of DDR 3 ram and maybe switch your PSU if its old but 520W is enough for a i5 and a 1060.
    Maybe get a good air cooler too if you dont own one already and OC your CPU if the 1060 wont give you enough power.
    Thats the card i was looking at because its currently £70 off on amazon making it only £240 or so.

So the consensus from these replies here mostly seem to be my CPU and mobo are fine, but upgrade my GPU to a 1060 and get a new PSU? Any reccomendations for a PSU?

No i don't have a good air cooler, using stock one, i'll add that to my shopping list.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Sounds like that PSU is getting pretty old. I'd certainly replace it before slapping a new GPU in there. What kind of cooler do you have on that CPU? They still shipped stock coolers with the k-series when that came out, so if you have a stock cooler replace it with something nice like a NH-D15 if that will fit in your case. Get a new PSU, new GPU and OC your CPU and you'll be fine. That CPU has a couple years left in it at least.
    Stock cooler, i've added a new one to my list of things to buy, thanks for the suggestion of which one, i'll have to check that will fit in my case though as it looks pretty big.
    Will i need a new mobo? or will mine be fine for this? Will save me a lot of money if i can keep my current CPU and mobo.

You sure can squeeze 1-2 years out of that system, so if you chose to upgrade think about when you plan to replace the rest(or everything)
    If you plan to just have a pc for the next 1-2 year get a 1060 and small 80+b psu maybe 8gb of ram(can be used if memtest has been run)

If you plan to rehaul the system in 6 month get a 1070, a better and bigger psu so its futureproof (550+) and a cpu cooler and overclock the cpu till then if you feel like more fps. on the cooler think if you wanna reuse it on a new cpu

10+ Year Old Account
    OC the CPU and get a new GPU, cooler, and PSU depending on what GPU you get. A high OC and new GPU will provide huge enormous performance increases.

At the very least consider a new GPU.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2017-11-21 at 08:19 PM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Thats the card i was looking at because its currently £70 off on amazon making it only £240 or so.

So the consensus from these replies here mostly seem to be my CPU and mobo are fine, but upgrade my GPU to a 1060 and get a new PSU? Any reccomendations for a PSU?

No i don't have a good air cooler, using stock one, i'll add that to my shopping list.

- - - Updated - - -

Stock cooler, i've added a new one to my list of things to buy, thanks for the suggestion of which one, i'll have to check that will fit in my case though as it looks pretty big.
    Will i need a new mobo? or will mine be fine for this? Will save me a lot of money if i can keep my current CPU and mobo.
    Always Seasonic PSUs and mobo is fine.
    Cooler depends on your case space/Ram hight but normal i would go for a Dark Rock 3 or a Noctua NH-D14 maybe 15.
    Last edited by Miyagie; 2017-11-22 at 12:06 AM.