Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by medievalman1 View Post
    Speaking as a nurse, formerly an ER nurse... you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Gallows humor is one thing, but this video? This is an absolute outrage on many levels.
    ER is a different culture. It is almost impossible to get bored in ER and the incompetent/lazy can't hide for very long. Nursing homes are very different. They are under pressure to cut costs and often end up treating people like cattle.

Also, I would not prejudge the case. Video evidence is important but this wouldn't be the first one a short video clip didn't tell the whole story.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    The reason I included the WW2 service in the OP was because, as a WW2 vet, the man truly sacrificed parts of his physical, mental, and emotional well being to protect his family, and fellow countryman. Those that sacrifice to protect others should at least be treated with dignity and consideration in their end days.
    Whoever he was he still would still deserve dignity and consideration in his dying moments. That was why people objected to your comments. I doubt it was from a lack of appreciation for his WWII service, however it might have been expressed.

Is "Negligence Causing Death" not a thing where they're from?

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Him being a "veteran" of any kind should have absolutely nothing to do with anything. If it does, it's a clear sign of blind, zealous uniform worship.
    Seriously, that's your takeaway? Yes, this would be wrong regardless of his status as a veteran, but for you to zero in on that at the expense of the actual point speaks far more of your disdain for the uniform than anyone else's worship of it.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    Seriously, that's your takeaway? Yes, this would be wrong regardless of his status as a veteran, but for you to zero in on that at the expense of the actual point speaks far more of your disdain for the uniform than anyone else's worship of it.
    It's my takeaway as well...his status as a WWII vet is meaningless...no one should have to die like that. The only reason why so many people care about this particular incident is because he was a WWII veteran.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    What? Heroes deserve the best we can afford them, when they get mistreated it's naturally more disturbing due to the sacrifices they've made for us
    Well, to anyone with morals...
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    It's my takeaway as well...his status as a WWII vet is meaningless...no one should have to die like that. The only reason why so many people care about this particular incident is because he was a WWII veteran.
    Being a WWII vet means he is worth more than your pathetic life. You should respect that fact instead of being jealous of it.

That's my take away

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    All I hope is these disgusting bitches die in an alleyway starving and in the cold when they can't get work. This kinda thing should forever be out on permanent record for all employers to see.
    Wishing misery on others really makes you no better than them now does it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Wishing misery on others really makes you no better than them now does it?
    Nope, not when the people in question are evil. You really think the people who hoped for Charles Manson to die were as bad as he was?
    #boycottchina

It's precisely because people act like it's supposed to be significant that others will come along and criticize it. Obviously. No one deserves to be treated like that, veteran or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Being a WWII vet means he is worth more than your pathetic life. You should respect that fact instead of being jealous of it.

That's my take away
    Honestly, I don't see much reason to be jealous of a guy that people laughed at while he was dying. The issue is that no one should face death in that kind of situation.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Well I guess he has company then. You've willfully ignored the point to focus on extraneous information not to your liking.

Him being a "veteran" of any kind should have absolutely nothing to do with anything. If it does, it's a clear sign of blind, zealous uniform worship.
    Kinda agree.

The most shocking fact for me is that while a man called for help with his last breath they just laughed.

They should be fired and sued for failing their duty.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    It's precisely because people act like it's supposed to be significant that others will come along and criticize it. Obviously. No one deserves to be treated like that, veteran or not.
    What if it had said "89-year-old man with dementia" or "89-year-old civil servant" or "89-year-old (insert anything anyone identifies with or sympathises with here)" would you all still be complaining about the extra information? I doubt it. Like I said in my origional post, getting all bent out of shape over the mention of his status as a veteran displays far more about your biases than that of the OP.

Well I guess he has company then. You've willfully ignored the point to focus on extraneous information not to your liking.
    No, we haven't ignored anything. We are simply saying that No one should be treated that way and that his status as a Veteran is unimportant.

Deleted
    I kinda agree, like if my father in the same situation would be less dramatic because he isn't an veteran.

What if it had said "89-year-old man with dementia" or "89-year-old civil servant" or "89-year-old (insert anything anyone identifies with or sympathises with here)" would you all still be complaining about the extra information? I doubt it. Like I said in my origional post, getting all bent out of shape over the mention of his status as a veteran displays far more about your biases than that of the OP.
    Not really...The OP makes him being a Veteran the issue when the issue should be that nobody should have to die that way

It's pretty cold blooded that they can laugh as a WW2 veteran is dying in front of them
    Right from the OP

more than likely the lawyers were delaying it in court, hoping that the plantiffs couldn't afford the lawyer bills over the long term.
    I understand that, I am just angry about people in a fricking hospital (more than likely that most of them have actual doctor's diploma) doing this.

Deleted
    Some of you lot disgust me, I hope it never happens to you or your loved ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Medical personnel are very cold. Nothing in this video shows anything exceptionally unusual. The unusual thing is they were being recorded.

I am not endorsing laughing when someone is in distress, but I can understand it. You have to be somewhat dispassionate to do a job like that. And it is very difficult to maintain concentration through a lengthy night shift and behave in a totally appropriate sombre mode of professionalism.

There's a separate question as to whether they acted negligently in failing to help the man quickly enough. The video evidence looks damning but it doesn't show the whole story.

I'm guessing most of the outraged people in the thread haven't visited any one in a terminal ward recently, for which they should be thankful.
    People only have so many fucks to give, and the healthcare field takes a lot.

It's pretty cold blooded that they can laugh as a WW2 veteran is dying in front of them. I'm glad to hear their licenses got pulled.
    It's pretty cold-blooded that they can laugh while ANYONE is dying in front of them. The fact that he's a WW2 vet is completely irrelevant.