Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I don't understand the point of this thread. The European Capital of Culture is a EU funded project destined for a city in the EU or in a potential canditate/EFTA or EEA country. By 2023 UK will be neither.

Is the issue with the name of the program?

Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    That is at the very least laughable.

Not even mentioning the policies Britain has historically chosen to follow over its lifespan, the country was always considered to be very close to the US, and many-a-time opt for the US side of things than the European one. That alone had earned the country a reputation amongst every European in the Union, at least anyone interested enough to look up these facts.

Britain decided to betray all of Europe, spat on everyone's face, broke apart the vision all of Europe stood for after the 2nd WW, for a united & peaceful Europe and now Britain expects anything else other than spite?

Do you realise what the UK has achieved with this decision? Even at least historically? Do you realise the magnitude of betrayal the country has displayed to all other countries of the Union? I am deeply European since my early teens, and that has been over a decade now, and I could not believe my ears when the result of the British Referendum was announced. I feel incredibly sorry for everyone that voted Remain, being trapped in a country that does not allow them to be Europeans.

The country simply went traitor to every European's beliefs, visions and expectations of integrity.
    Maybe tone down the 'betrayal', 'spit in the face' language? You're clouding your ability to analyse the subject with all this talk of vengeance and betrayal.

Britain is a democracy. We had a vote, the vote is carried through. That's how it works. Now that might be difficult for someone from Greece to understand judging from your most recent elections, but that's how it works over here.

WWII is a different story depending on where you live. It saw the complete destruction of a lot of European countries way of governing. They needed to rebuild with a new identity and group together to stop what happened before happening again, and to not be haunted by the past. Italy, Germany, Spain and yes even Greece have had dictatorships in the not so recent past. Their story is completely different to Britain. Of course they want to forge a close union and throw themselves in it.

But for Britain WWII was the defence of our parliamentary democracy against fascism. And we were on the winning side! Britain has never voted to join the EU on a political level. It joined the European Community when it was all about trade, and the conversation here was all about trade. We were promised that laws would never be set abroad. Then after Thatcher, different politicians have taken us deeper into the EU without ever giving the people a say. It is no coincidence that at the last EU elections UKIP won the most seats (that's UK Independence Party for those unaware). That the Tories won 2015 election with a promise of a referendum. That the referendum was won with people voting to leave, with democracy and sovereignty the biggest issue for people who voted Leave.

Britain was never going to accept unelected politicians abroad setting laws and regulations without any chance for a vote. You are fooling yourself if you think otherwise. Brexit was something that was always going to happen, and it has been bubbling for decades. The only way Britain would have stayed is if we had had an open discussion about joining the EU, and what it realistically meant for our sovereignty BEFORE we joined. But in the end, the politicians tried to get us sufficiently involved in the EU without giving the people much of a choice (every major party campaigned for Remain. They didn't realise how out of touch they were), so by the time that we had a chance to vote, it would be too late.

Now if democracy makes you feel like Britain betrayed you then so be it. I'm sure you will be right at home in the EU with the way it is going. But Britain is not an enemy of Europe, it just wants to govern itself, like it has always done in modern history.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Hahahahahaha. Weak little Britain has no power. They had power and security in the EU. Now they are a non factor. Small pitiful country that will soon be consumed by a much larger one, just as they deserve for not learning from history.
    And do tell why China would want to invade a nuclear-armed nation on the other side of the world? Oh, who happens to be part of NATO article 5 and all that. If you are going to troll put some realism into it at-least.
    Last edited by Rumred; 2017-11-23 at 08:01 PM.

Deleted
    Hahahahahaha. Weak little Britain has no power. They had power and security in the EU. Now they are a non factor. Small pitiful country that will soon be consumed by a much larger one, just as they deserve for not learning from history.
    /sigh

The adults are talking

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it was the 2nd largest economy in the EU, being ahead of France but behind Germany. It's military was the largest or tied with France in terms of capabilities i think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Well it was the 2nd largest economy in the EU, being ahead of France but behind Germany. It's military was the largest or tied with France in terms of capabilities i think.
    Even if China wanted to, they possess no capability to project military power that far away anyway. Any notion that it could happen at all is just misinformed drivel, especially when any such action would inevitably lead into a confrontation with the US navy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Even if China wanted to, they possess no capability to project military power that far away anyway. Any notion that it could happen at all is just misinformed drivel, especially when any such action would inevitably lead into a confrontation with the US navy.
    It's about as likely as say the chances of anything coming from mars, a million to one? but still they come!? No!

Well of course the UK would loose this event, it is leaving pretty much every EU institution and as such they shouldn't be allowed to host EU events. Anything else would be ridiculous.

Deleted
    The irony is that dundee was pro independence and had the rest of Scotland voted yes then it may have gone back into the EU which would make it not so indpendent again.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-29255449
    Dundee was the most pro-Yes with 57.4%, followed by West Dunbartonshire and Glasgow, which has an electorate of half a million people.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    Neither side look like taking the high road.

Hard brexit. deport teh furinners, bring back the expats, wt rulez and pray mercedes and bmw bung the German government enough so they agree to positive talks
    If they want to give me a job that pays over 40k a year, I'd maybe consider it. Otherwise I'll stick to Germany. I'm not moving back to the UK to sit on the dole or work some zero-hours minimum wage bullshit job.

The UK will no longer meet the criteria for hosting the event, so it follows that it should lose the right to do so.

If you leave a club, you lose the right to enjoy its benefits. Thus is the case here.

And I say that as a British national. We cannot expect to have our cake and eat it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    party)...the North of Ireland...
    It’s called Northern Ireland, unless you are referring to the Northern part of the RoI.

CoC is pan-european nationalism, I thought nationalism was bad?

also people who voted for brexit don't give two shits about CoC

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Should have told people earlier. Don’t care much myself, silly events.
    How so?
    The UK withdrew when they handed in their Article 50 letter, there really isn't any reason to make them withdraw from every little thing seperately when it is clear to everyone that they volunarily won't meet the requirements anymore.

Regarding the EU: well, they need to decide on another nation quickly so that said nation will have enough time to decide on one of their cities but it is understandable that they have other things to worry about. Regrettable but understandable.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by infinit View Post
    CoC is pan-european nationalism, I thought nationalism was bad?

also people who voted for brexit don't give two shits about CoC
    seems they were not interested in anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    How so?
    The UK withdrew when they handed in their Article 50 letter, there really isn't any reason to make them withdraw from every little thing seperately when it is clear to everyone that they volunarily won't meet the requirements anymore.

UK could have sought a soft brexit, thus keep their spot in CoC event.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Britain left EU not Europe
    The European Capital of Culture is an event hosted by the EU, not by the continent Europe and the reason is very easy to understand: Europe is a continent not an international political organisation like the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    Really? Because it seems to me Brexit was the pet project of the crazy wing of the Conservative party (as opposed to the mean, nasty wing of the Conservative party). And the Conservative party is the party of England and Wales.
    Gonna have to stop you there, ever since devolution Wales has been run by Labour (and run right into the ground no less) no matter how much all my idiot friends liek to blame the tories for Wales' woes it's all 100% on the Labour Party.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I don't know it seems very weak... We have known BREXIT will happen for a long time now. I can't help feel the decision is more out of malice than much else at this point
    And we have known there wouldn't be a "European Capital of Culture" since the UK government made it clear the UK won't (want) to meet the requirements for that anymore. I don't know how it comes as a surprise to anyone--or did your government lie to you? Again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
    This is the sort of petty bullshit the EU isn't above when it comes to member states that don't toe the party line.
    The UK voluntarily won't be a memberstate when this takes place.

Deleted
    You people do know the event is created, hosted and paid by the EU right?

It's logical they are kicked out as their events only include those part of the European Union.

EU = European Union =/ Europe.

The EU is a joke. Of course they're gonna try to fuck over the UK for leaving their club.