Page 1 of 19
... LastLast

Universal Basic Income

Is this video about people expecting default handouts be given to them from other people or about people wanting to give other people default handouts?

I can't tell.

10+ Year Old Account
    some form of it is coming regardless of if you want it or not...unless your into a dystopian future where the rich have all the resources and the poor all stay huddled in some old crumbling buildings like in some hollywood movie fighting over the scraps.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Was reading about Finland's experiment with basic income, they've called it a disaster, people stopped looking for work altogether.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Was reading about Finland's experiment with basic income, they've called it a disaster, people stopped looking for work altogether.
    Oh? So most people there don't care about being rich? Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post

Is this video about people expecting default handouts be given to them from other people or about people wanting to give other people default handouts?

I can't tell.
    Basically free loaders want to the ability to free load. Hey if people are willing to pay gang members 1,000 a month not to kill each other, it could happen....

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    some form of it is coming regardless of if you want it or not...unless your into a dystopian future where the rich have all the resources and the poor all stay huddled in some old crumbling buildings like in some hollywood movie fighting over the scraps.
    Rich people don't care about the poor today, why would they care about the poor in the future?

With automation becoming more and more widespread even things like driverless cars will take millions of jobs. It will get to a point where our automated factories will pump out goods after goods but nobody except a very few people will have any income to buy them.

Unless we cut back on this automation then society will need to adapt otherwise you really will get two class of people those few with jobs and those many without and if history has taught us anything when people go without they tend to revolt!

Deleted
    I wouldnt hold my breat hwaiting for this. Easier to make something of your own life and enjoy the rewards.

Finland's trial was a disaster because its was implemented as such. You cant trial only unemployed when universal basic income is for everyone and expect accurate results. Their test was literally a complete waste.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhidhg View Post
    With automation becoming more and more widespread even things like driverless cars will take millions of jobs. It will get to a point where our automated factories will pump out goods after goods but nobody except a very few people will have any income to buy them.

Unless we cut back on this automation then society will need to adapt otherwise you really will get two class of people those few with jobs and those many without and if history has taught us anything when people go without they tend to revolt!
    I agree that we have to do something like this, if we ever get to that point. Its still pretty far out tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glarolas View Post
    Finland's trial was a disaster because its was implemented as such. You cant trial only unemployed when universal basic income is for everyone and expect accurate results. Their test was literally a complete waste.
    Plus, it's hardly the only one. The Mincome experiment in Canada was pretty much a complete success, with basically no negative outcomes. The current pilot program in Ontario is based on that, and if it works out comparably, will be implemented province-wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Why would you work when you get paid for doing eff all? And it's not just scraps, but a livable wage?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Plus, it's hardly the only one. The Mincome experiment in Canada was pretty much a complete success, with basically no negative outcomes. The current pilot program in Ontario is based on that, and if it works out comparably, will be implemented province-wide.
    How can anyone expect this to be a positive thing in long term, If I can earn X doing nothing, or X doing hard work, why would I choose hard work? This just leads to an unsustainable system where no one pays enough tax to pay it out.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    Why would you work when you get paid for doing eff all? And it's not just scraps, but a livable wage?

- - - Updated - - -

How can anyone expect this to be a positive thing in long term, If I can earn X doing nothing, or X doing hard work, why would I choose hard work? This just leads to an unsustainable system where no one pays enough tax to pay it out.
    Why on earth do you think people would work for free?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Because you want to live rich, not just live. I am not someone who wants to live rich, though!

Quote Originally Posted by kjhidhg View Post

You don't need to cut back on automation, just make laws that say machines need overseers/cars need drivers.

Especially since univeral pay wouldn't work in such an economy anyway, since no one would pay enough tax to cover the wages.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Why on earth do you think people would work for free?
    I didn't think people would work for free, but universal pay is the policy of paying everyone a living wage regardless if they have a Job or not.

It was below 800 a month. Good luck calling that livable wage and not scraps in first world countries, minus maybe some in Eastern Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

No, you're misunderstanding basic income. It's not that you earn X doing nothing, or X doing work.

Every single person, from the poorest to the richest, receives X each month. This is your basic income. Any money you earn beyond that is yours and is taxed at the appropriate rates. Meaning that if you do nothing your whole life, you will always earn X. If you work and earn an income of Y, you will make X+Y, not just Y.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    No, you're misunderstanding basic income. It's not that you earn X doing nothing, or X doing work.

Every single person, from the poorest to the richest, receives X each month. This is your basic income. Any money you earn beyond that is yours and is taxed at the appropriate rates. Meaning that if you do nothing your whole life, you will always earn X. If you work and earn an income of Y, you will make X+Y, not just Y.
    And how do we afford to pay X? If literally everyone earns X base, how can you possibly afford it without taxing people more than you're paying them? Why not just scrap that, and give support to people who earn less than necessary or struggle to find work?

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post

This is a nice thought, but who is providing X to everyone?

Money DOES grow on trees, but someone has to harvest it in order to give it to everyone!

So, who are the people harvesting money for free for everyone to have?

I didn't think people would work for free, but universal pay is the policy of paying everyone a living wage regardless if they have a Job or not.
    But you just said "Get X for nothing" or "Get X for hard work". I'm not sure you understand the concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.