10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willowe View Post
    If that friend of a friends uncle's sister's cat actually played the game long enough to have a proper opinion, they'd know it does a lot of things different than WoW.
    Here is what we officially know FFXIV will have:

FATEs
    Leves
    Golden Saucer (minigames)
    Hamlet Defense (server-wide events, basically)
    Hunting Log
    Job system
    Party-wide limit break system

Looking at the beta roadmap (which has been PUBLIC since the first beta announcement) a lot of these systems are not testable. So I would feel comfortable in saying it's too early to judge the game. Just wish I had a beta invite so I could try it myself

If that friend of a friends uncle's sister's cat actually played the game long enough to have a proper opinion, they'd know it does a lot of things different than WoW.

Class System
    Job System
    F.A.T.E System (which is more like GW2's Events)
    Player Housing

Just because you pick up a quest, kill 10 boars, and turn it in, it's not a 'WoW Clone.' Every MMO does this, no matter how much GW2 or SWtOR tries to mask it for the blindly stupid.

It has familiar aspects to other MMOs. WoW, Rift, GW2, EQ2, whatever. When did WoW ever not copy other games and do it worse? Hello, Temple of the Kotmogu!
    I never said Blizzard never copied anything. I said that what they do, they do very, very well. READ

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigitybones View Post
    grats and don't let ppl with a very skewed view of things ( who are also breaking nda by even talking about it) discourage you
    Oh there's an NDA? Maybe I should've read the agreement lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AcrobaticMegalodon View Post
    Oh there's an NDA? Maybe I should've read the agreement lol.
    Yes there is. The TL;DR is in the sticky.

Let's try not to play skirt around the NDA.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Yes there is. The TL;DR is in the sticky.

Let's try not to play skirt around the NDA.
    Welp, my beta career almost ended before it even started lol.
    Last edited by mmoc286748cea5; 2013-04-19 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    I never said Blizzard never copied anything. I said that what they do, they do very, very well. READ
    I did, and i disagree. Temple of the Kotmogu, among other things.

toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

I did, and i disagree. Temple of the Kotmogu, among other things.
    You disagree with what? If you disagree with the fact that Blizzard set the standard for modern theme park MMOs I'd advise you to take your meds.

Beyond the fact that Yoshi himself confirmed this, anyone can see WoW played a huge part in ARR's formation and current state.

*Disclaimer: What's written beneath is common knowledge and has nothing to do with the beta.

- Class system - I assume you mean JOB system. Pretty unique, but does it add anything? It's basically just having 2 talent trees, rather than one: A Lancer can become a Dragoon when needed and switch back to lancer when soloing. I'd rather have WoW's versatility, personally.
    - FATES - GW2 does this better.
    - Minigames - WoW is full of them from the get-go. Now more than ever with the pokemon-styple combat pets.
    - Limit breaks - we have yet to see how these will actually be implemented
    - Player housing - I seriously have no idea what this even is supposed to be.

It's about gameplay and it's trying to mimic WoW in every way. How can a game ever succeed if it tries to be something it's not? Now they'll lose the FFXI fanbase and will certainly not chip anything off of WoW's player base.

10+ Year Old Account
    The one thing that will make FFXIV better than WoW. Everything is done on one character, no real need for alts. All classes can be switched at will. No need to restart character progression because you want to play another class. So if ARR is a clone (which it's really not) then ARR in my opinion will be better with that one simple difference.

Deleted
    No. It should be translated to: ARR uses the exact same formula WoW does, but fails at implementing it on many fronts.
    While I can't really go into any details, I can just say that I greatly disagree with this. I'd say that ARR and WoW are rather different.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    The one thing that will make FFXIV better than WoW. Everything is done on one character, no real need for alts. All classes can be switched at will. No need to restart character progression because you want to play another class. So if ARR is a clone (which it's really not) then ARR in my opinion will be better with that one simple difference.
    You still have to level up that specific class, you still need to gather gear for that specific class. The only difference is you needn't log out to log onto your Conjurer when you're playing Lancer.

Ashaela, I agree, they are rather different. WoW and tera are 'rather' different as well. WoW and Warhammer online are 'rather' different as well. I'm saying they're not different enough. GW2 catered towards a specific audience and whilst it still had some similarities to the leader in the MMO industry, it provided enough uniqueness to be successful. ARR doesn't imo.

This is strictly personal, but I won't ever play a game out of loyalty to a franchise (e.g. FF). I play a game for specific aspect, usually directly related to game-play. If ARR offers what WoW does, I pick the one that does it better.

10+ Year Old Account
    - Class system - I assume you mean JOB system. Pretty unique, but does it add anything? It's basically just having 2 talent trees, rather than one: A Lancer can become a Dragoon when needed and switch back to lancer when soloing. I'd rather have WoW's versatility, personally.
    Also, you can equip skills and spells from other classes. Not too much of a change from XIV 1.0, but it's good for solo'ing. WoW doesn't really have "versatility", it has base classes with spells or skills added in. You have a small choice at what to pick from (now). Whereas in XIV you have All the spells from the other 6 classes to choose from. Example: Lancer with Second Wind (pug), Protect (whm) is a perfect combo and could solo +4 leves. It was great.

FATES - GW2 does this better.
    You can't answer this. Not with out breaking the NDA. All you know it's an event system. What I can say, is the early versions of FATE are test versions, as said by Yoshi.

- Minigames - WoW is full of them from the get-go. Now more than ever with the pokemon-styple combat pets.
    Okay.

Okay.

You build a house and put things in it. If you've played other MMOs with player housing, you wouldn't need this to be explained to you. If you do "I'd advise you to take your meds."

It's about gameplay and it's trying to mimic WoW in every way. How can a game ever succeed if it tries to be something it's not? Now they'll lose the FFXI fanbase and will certainly not chip anything off of WoW's player base.
    FFXIV is not aimed at the FFXI fan base. So, that's a pointless argument. It's aimed at a larger MMO playing fan base. Also, if you played FFXIV from about 1.19 or 1.2 until they closed the servers, you'd know that it's not trying to mimic WoW in the slightest. It's taking elements of other MMOs and making them into a FF style game.

You still have to level up that specific class, you still need to gather gear for that specific class. The only difference is you needn't log out to log onto your Conjurer when you're playing Lancer.
    Since you know you're going to level other classes, you save the gear. It's not difficult to see that.

10+ Year Old Account

Ashaela, I agree, they are rather different. WoW and tera are 'rather' different as well. WoW and Warhammer online are 'rather' different as well. I'm saying they're not different enough. GW2 catered towards a specific audience and whilst it still had some similarities to the leader in the MMO industry, it provided enough uniqueness to be successful. ARR doesn't imo.

This is strictly personal, but I won't ever play a game out of loyalty to a franchise (e.g. FF). I play a game for specific aspect, usually directly related to game-play. If ARR offers what WoW does, I pick the one that does it better.
    It's more than just logging in and out. You don't lose quest progression, raid progression, you keep your crafting professions because they work like classes, you don't have to repurchase things like mounts, or regather flight paths. And a lot of gear in FFXIV, just like FFXI will be for multiple classes, so very interchangeable without having to recollect it on another toon.

You disagree with what? If you disagree with the fact that Blizzard set the standard for modern theme park MMOs I'd advise you to take your meds.

Beyond the fact that Yoshi himself confirmed this, anyone can see WoW played a huge part in ARR's formation and current state.

*Disclaimer: What's written beneath is common knowledge and has nothing to do with the beta.

- FATES - GW2 does this better.

There are classes AND jobs. Didn't know? Okay a Conjurer is a CLASS, a Summoner is a JOB. It's basically an advanced class that requires X Class at 30 and Y Class at 15 to open up. It's not better, per se, it's more restricted. A Class (say Pugilist) can use any same-school (Disciple of War, etc) skill whenever they want, a Job can only use the job's abilities, along with the two classes' abilities they used to unlock said job.

So a Dragoon could only use Lancer, Pugilist and Dragoon abilities, where a Lancer could use Archer, Marauder, Pugilist and Gladiator abilities.

So, yeah a Job =/= a Class. Similar, but different. You're welcome.

It's more than just logging in and out. You don't lose quest progression, raid progression, you keep your crafting professions because they work like classes, you don't have to repurchase things like mounts, or regather flight paths. And a lot of gear in FFXIV, just like FFXI will be for multiple classes, so very interchangeable without having to recollect it on another toon.
    Sooooo, basically just like wow? I did all this stuff on my Warlock and the fruits are available on my mage (achievements, mounts, etc...) with the perk that I can repeat all quests if I want (since I've completed them on another toon). I wonder how leveling up a secondary class will pan out in ARR, since you've already done everything (This same question has been asked elsewhere with the word 'GRIND' printed all over it).

Buckwalk, recent information suggests YOU CANNOT use abilities from other classes. You're a Lancer, a Dragoon, or a conjurer. You can't be a conjurer with Vorpal Thrust, nor a Lancer with Cure.

You go ahead and enjoy your Sims minigame. Player housing... Yeah, that will pull a crowd!

Sooooo, basically just like wow? I did all this stuff on my Warlock and the fruits are available on my mage (achievements, mounts, etc...) with the perk that I can repeat all quests if I want (since I've completed them on another toon). I wonder how leveling up a secondary class will pan out in ARR, since you've already done everything.

Buckwalk, recent information suggests YOU CANNOT use abilities from other classes. You're a Lancer, a Dragoon, or a conjurer. You can't be a conjurer with Vorpal Thrust, nor a Lancer with Cure.

You go ahead and enjoy your Sims minigame. Player housing... Yeah, that will pull a crowd!
    You can use everything same-school.

A Pugilist can't use Conjurer stuff. A Pugilist can use Lancer stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sooooo, basically just like wow? I did all this stuff on my Warlock and the fruits are available on my mage (achievements, mounts, etc...) with the perk that I can repeat all quests if I want (since I've completed them on another toon). I wonder how leveling up a secondary class will pan out in ARR, since you've already done everything.

No, not just like WoW. But keep thinking that. Have fun getting the same trinket in WoW on 5 different toons.

No, not just like WoW. But keep thinking that. Have fun getting the same trinket in WoW on 5 different toons.
    It's his opinion. You're not going to change it by beating a dead horse, so there's no point in trying.

And you would like the same trinket an 5 different classes because...? You will still need to gather class/job specific gear. Don't kid yourself.
    Also, you haven't answered my questio: HOW WILL YOU LEVEL UP THESE CLASSES IF ALL QUESTS ARE DONE?

Willowe, that was FFXIV. Are you absolutely certain you're right? If you are, I'm sure you can share why without breaking NDA.

There are opinions, which I clearly stated and there are game mechanics.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a very popular addition to a lot of game. So... yes it will pull a lot of people. EQ2 and Rift being the more dominant ones.
    And you would like the same trinket an 5 different classes because...? You will still need to gather class/job specific gear. Don't kid yourself.
    Also, you haven't answered my questio: HOW WILL YOU LEVEL UP THESE CLASSES IF ALL QUESTS ARE DONE?

Willowe, that was FFXIV. Are you absolutely certain you're right? If you are, I'm sure you can share why without breaking NDA.

There are opinions, which I clearly stated and there are game mechanics.
    Believe they stated that specific classes have specific quests in which you can level your class that way when you switch.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is 100% False.