10+ Year Old Account
    But how long exactly is the story before the expansion? I feel I've been questing more post 50 than pre 50!

I've just killed Ramuh. Am I getting close? (I'd rather not spoil myself, just a rough approximation would be good)
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    But how long exactly is the story before the expansion? I feel I've been questing more post 50 than pre 50!

I've just killed Ramuh. Am I getting close? (I'd rather not spoil myself, just a rough approximation would be good)
    you are not getting close, I just finished what you are going through and I say you are probably half way there, maybe a little less. You know you are close when they start talking about a dragon threat. Took me 3 days of playing for idk 6 hours a day?

also prepare for FEEEEELLLLSSS
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    I'm cringing at how bad the pacing would be if they did something like this - imagine your favorite TV show, but it's just the climactic moments of each episode in a season slammed together into one episode. That's basically what you're advocating, and it's simply put a terrible idea. I see this a lot from those that don't carry about the story, but you've grossly underestimated how much of the 2.x series is important to both events that go on then and future events (hell, the refugee/Ul'dah/Omega stuff that was part of those events is a critical aspect of the upcoming expansion). There's maybe 15 quests that are legit filler, as in "go and do stuff with one of the cast while we 'wait' for this other thing to develop/finish researching this stuff/wait to hear back from dude in that other place" type stuff that doesn't directly move the story forward. Things like fetching tea or hanging out with Tataru as she tries out different jobs/professions. Those are very much the minority of quests.

While there might be a more ideal solution in uncoupling being able to do dungeons and raids and enter zones from unlocking them via the story (so you can do Sastasha at 15 or Haukke Manor at 28 or whatever at whatever level when you reach it, but the story quests themselves can only be done in order), removing story content for the sake of those that don't care about the story content doesn't even come close to making any sense.

Not to mention the development time it would take to rewrite in multiple languages, test for issues with quests being flagged...and then be expected to go back and do it again for the Heavensward 3.x series, and the Stormblood 4.x series...

I'd rather they not waste development time on removing things for those that don't care about them in the first place.
    You just described a clip show..abd yes they often suck

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    you are not getting close, I just finished what you are going through and I say you are probably half way there, maybe a little less. You know you are close when they start talking about a dragon threat

also prepare for FEEEEELLLLSSS
    You're serious?!? Damnit!

Better get back to it then o.o
    Google Diversity Memo

[...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

You're serious?!? Damnit!

Better get back to it then o.o
    I thought getting to Ishgard was never going to happen I was pulling my hair out. If the story missions weren't so good towards the end I'd probably would of killed myself

It was like a solid year of content updates, and when its not WoW that doesnt just mean 1 or 2 patches

The big hooks are Ramuh, Shiva, Leviathan, the ascians up to the crysalis and the defenders of eorzea story. Then you are off to the Blue Skies of Ishgard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought getting to Ishgard was never going to happen I was pulling my hair out. If the story missions weren't so good towards the end I'd probably would of killed myself
    Argh they keep talking about an "ill feeling" so I know it's coming and I hate that!

Why you doing this to me FFXIV? O.O

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    It was like a solid year of content updates, and when its not WoW that doesnt just mean 1 or 2 patches

The big hooks are Ramuh, Shiva, Leviathan, the ascians up to the crysalis and the defenders of eorzea story. Then you are off to the Blue Skies of Ishgard.
    Haven't beaten the ascians or Shiva yet, but I did kick Leviathan's face. I really like the polearm that I got from that quest.
    Google Diversity Memo

10+ Year Old Account

Looking at level 50 quest-list, you just completed quest "Levin an Impression". That is at middle of the list, Patch 2.3.

http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wi...cenario_Quests

Argh they keep talking about an "ill feeling" so I know it's coming and I hate that!

Why you doing this to me FFXIV? O.O

- - - Updated - - -

Haven't beaten the ascians or Shiva yet, but I did kick Leviathan's face. I really like the polearm that I got from that quest.
    I think someone told me it was like 200ish quests from level 50 2.0 to level 50 ishgard. I literally gained 2 levels just from the story quests post 50

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    Looking at level 50 quest-list, you just completed quest "Levin an Impression". That is at middle of the list, Patch 2.3.

http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wi...cenario_Quests
    Yep, completing "What little Gods are Made of". I am literally half-way there. And quite close to 51, too.
    Google Diversity Memo

Well, if either of you happen to be on Balmung I can help you out with stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Your examples of Mario and Zelda are vastly different IMO. Mario is a VERY loose game that just has you rescuing a princess with no other story elements for the most part. In Zelda, you're directed to certain areas and into every major dungeon as a result of the overarching story. There's lots of ancillary stuff to do when you get to some areas, and at a certain point you have every item and have access to every area of the game so you have access to more of those ancillary things, but ultimately the game is story driven...with a bunch of side stuff to keep you occupied.
    With Zelda, the older ones in particular, you are given some brief guidance on where best to go next. You're free to ignore it and do whatever you wish in game, however. In the very first Zelda games you don't even get that, you get a sword a printed map they included in the game box and are sent on your way. They're not so much story driven games as player driven. You can do the dungeons out of order, even skip them entirely in some cases. You need much less direction in Mario, since you're essentially just running to the right to reach your next destination.

I chose those two deliberaltely because your overarching goal is the same for both games - To rescue the respective princesses - But the gameplay is vastly different in both.

Funny, I also got the sense that he hides a much more caring side behind that womanizing facet of his personality and is deeply committed to helping his friends, sometimes pushing himself too hard.

I could continue with him, or list the multiple identifiable personality traits of the other Scions.
    It's stated he works hard... When he's off-screen. All I've ever seen him do on screen is womanise and lament the fact that he, once again, arrived too late to help. I've almost never seen him doing anything that qualifies as "work" when he was on screen. If the player has to be told these things about him, you've done a poor job of expressing his character. It's one of the most fundamental rules of story telling, you show. You don't tell.

Thats why the new Doomguy had people gushing over him. He expresses his thoughts and feelings on situations without saying a single word of diologue. Be it by cracking his knuckles or by simply smashing things, we know whats going on in his head. We're shown what he thinks of Dr Hayden, and how he intends to deal the the Demon problem.

You also apparently missed the several mentions about how Linkpearls can be messed with or how they aren't a completely secure line of communication, and while it's not always the case when you're called back it's typically to discuss/plan/talk about more sensitive matters or the group's next move - not really the kind of thing to be carried out over the fantasy equivalent of a cell phone.
    Cid did have you jamming Imperial communications. It's also stated that the idea was taken and implemented in the Black Shroud too, but the fact that you get contacted by Linkpearl in the Black Shroud after the event does tend to point to Cid's jammer only working on Imperials and not the main characters. Or a convenient plot hole, possibly both.

I mean, sure get everyone together for the important stuff just in case. But if you want me to pick up some Fantasy Eggs and Fantasy Milk on the way home from Ul'dah then just go ahead and Fantasy Phone me.

Amazing the things you notice when you pay attention to the story instead of griping that it's not the length of a Run, Jane, Run children's book.
    I consider any game plot that is longer than a postcard to be redundant and unnessacary. Final Fantasy most of all. The stories they tell frequently clash with the mechanics of the game. I don't care about characters deaths when they're a Phoenix Down away from getting back up as if nothing ever happened. If the cutscenes and mechanics followed the same rules the story would resemble a comic book, where you just know that no matter how certain, how final a Heroes demise is, they'll be back and fighting crime again in no time. The fact that they are arbitreraly breaking the established rules of the game universe in order to tell a story should be all the indication you need that the two are already kept separate.

It's worse when they take control away from the player in order to play a cutscene. It divides the game into very clear "gameplay" sections and very clear "story" sections. You want to tell a gripping story full of backstabing, politics and intrigue? Write a book. Write a movie script, direct it yourself if you must. Video games are not the place to deal with heavy story matters.

Why should the developers waste development time to cut out content they created for your sake, a person who has admitted they don't really care for the story?
    Isn't that self evident? There will be people who dislike your games story, having the option to say "fuck it" and play the game the way they choose should also be an option. Almost every other MMO does it. Most single player games allow you to just barrel through the story and get back to doing what you like. Those people are also your customers and forcing them to do story content they dislike isn't the best way to keep them as customers.

They could just mark it as completed the second you hit 50 and give you a free pass to Ishgard and I would applaud the move. It's already a huge barrier to entry for newer players. If you don't give a damn about the story it's only purpose is to halt your progress. If, for whatever stupid reason they come up with to justify this crap, they want to keep it then they should cut it down to a more managable length - One that isn't going to be a huge put off to potential customers.

There are other new players in this thread complaining about the length of the pre-Heavensward quest chain. It took me ~2 weeks to get through. Thats 2 weeks of, essentially, being on pause. It was my own special circle of gaming hell and no one should be subjected to it ever again.

there an up to date leveling guide? Need to get my astrologian up to 50 asap

Is it just leves, fates and dungeons? I feel like I should just spam dungeons since I'm a healer.

15+ Year Old Account

Is it just leves, fates and dungeons? I feel like I should just spam dungeons since I'm a healer.
    Leves, fates, dungeons and palace of the dead. Dungeons are generally considered the best choice for tank/healers because of the low queues but generally they give about the same xp, so do which ever feels less painful to you.

I would personally ignore FATEs and Leves unless you just hate group content or want the Challenge Log completion for squadrons. If you like dungeons more, spam the best one you can over and over. If you like POTD more, spam 51-60 over and over, anyone who can heal a dungeon will blow away more than half the so-called 'healers' in POTD.

Seriously, I had someone on AST earlier today who couldn't even be bothered to cut on a fucking Sect skill OR Cleric Stance, much less use their cards. And thought spamming Helios and Gravity was all they needed to do. Needless to say, they died and so did the other two people when shit hit the fan. Let's hear it for the indestructible WAR.

Also, if you want the POTD weapon(s), that's more cause to do it. Completing a 51+ floorset gives you XP comparable to the daily leveling bonus, so after you do a daily roulette, you might find it better to do POTD, esp. if you can find people who will speedrun.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

It's long. It's intense. Nothing has prepared you for this. Nothing.

I swear to God, I don't think I've ever felt so accomplished, drained (in a good way), and just done before. XD I think I may have stopped playing for a bit after I got to the Heavensward content finally, but it was mostly just from being blown away and that amount of playing was obviously, a little burn-out worthy. I absolutely will recommend it 100% to people though! It's wonderful.

- - - Updated - - -

Can anyone tell me if Y'shtola is still alive? I've not seen her in any of the trailers...
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    It's long. It's intense. Nothing has prepared you for this. Nothing.

I swear to God, I don't think I've ever felt so accomplished, drained (in a good way), and just done before. XD I think I may have stopped playing for a bit after I got to the Heavensward content finally, but it was mostly just from being blown away and that amount of playing was obviously, a little burn-out worthy. I absolutely will recommend it 100% to people though! It's wonderful.

- - - Updated - - -

Can anyone tell me if Y'shtola is still alive? I've not seen her in any of the trailers...
    Yes, they are.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    You better don't stare too much man you meet her again

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    With Zelda, the older ones in particular, you are given some brief guidance on where best to go next. You're free to ignore it and do whatever you wish in game, however. In the very first Zelda games you don't even get that, you get a sword a printed map they included in the game box and are sent on your way. They're not so much story driven games as player driven. You can do the dungeons out of order, even skip them entirely in some cases. You need much less direction in Mario, since you're essentially just running to the right to reach your next destination.

I chose those two deliberaltely because your overarching goal is the same for both games - To rescue the respective princesses - But the gameplay is vastly different in both.
    The older Zeldas were quite open, agreed. I had the more recent (meaning in the last 20 years) ones in mind, Ocarina of Time in particular, when I commented.

7+ Year Old Account
    The new patch is out next week right?

Also I really hope they expand on giving us options during major events within the game. I know some people might find it silly but I think it adds much more immersion regardless if those options change the story.