Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Clever use of quest design could easily teach players the things they need to know about their classes. have NPC explain in text why certain abilities are good in certain situations etc.
    It could also stonewall people who (like me) have high-latency Internet connections from enjoying the game cos ERRMAHGERD U NO PLAIZ RITE!!! So no, trying to force more barriers between players and content is and always will be a Bad Idea. I reiterate: The people who care will learn. The people who don't will never, ever, ever, ever bother, no matter how much you try.

So ideally, I would flat out task job quests as hard pass fails based on core mechanics. Mechanics that teach a healer to DPS and heal simultaneously by failing the duty if they cannot manage both at a basic level. Have it expand in further quests. I'd even make one where it is designed to OOM you, and teach you to use your MP regen skills. Shit like that.

For a DPS, you can have the quest require you to hold a buff for x seconds while dodging a ton of telegraphs. If you drop the buff (say Enochian/BotD) while hitting the targets and or switching targets, you fail.

For tanks have things like enemies attacking weaker people/healers so you need to protect them, have it so that you need to use cooldowns to survive tankbusters, maybe even try and code it where the NPC maybe vokes off you and if you pull threat back you die. Couple it with a DPS check that requires DPS stance to kill it and then provoke the boss off before he's killed by the enemy.

Clever use of quest design could easily teach players the things they need to know about their classes. have NPC explain in text why certain abilities are good in certain situations etc.
    So Hall of the Intermediate/Savage/etc.?

Not to sound dismissive of the idea, because I like it. It could start off with something akin to Simon Says, for DPS at least, where it walks you through the basics of the rotation...although given gear descrepancies, perhaps that may idea may have some wrinkles...like BLM with a ridiculously high amount of spell speed, for example. I suppose that's nothing ilvl sync can't resolve.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    It could also stonewall people who (like me) have high-latency Internet connections from enjoying the game cos ERRMAHGERD U NO PLAIZ RITE!!! So no, trying to force more barriers between players and content is and always will be a Bad Idea. I reiterate: The people who care will learn. The people who don't will never, ever, ever, ever bother, no matter how much you try.
    I can sympathize with the shit connection issue. I was on dial-up for the majority of time I played WoW in vanilla. Wasn't fun having to sit out of those new-fangled battleground things while my friends had a blast due to my godawful connection. Got to move up to big dick DSL about 12 years ago...and I was stuck with that same 3 mbps connection for almost 10 years until I got a new place. It was great for a while...until it wasn't, which was primarily due to being strung across infrastructure that was installed in the early 60's...long story but that should paint the general idea.

Was always hilarious when I would go over to their place for a LAN party (/highfive for anyone who remembers those) and the difference in how responsive things like chat were (typing in game, I mean...we'd be yelling at each other so that's a lot faster than typing ). Funny how I both miss and don't miss those days...having to lug around a 19" CRT that weighed more than most TVs smaller than 50" now was not fun, especially seeing that my friends were in an upstairs apartment back in those days.

Do what now?

Oh alright.

Do What now?
    Wreck, for this new raid, we need you to take off your helmet and go get smashed in the face by that giant monster. Doesn't that sound like fun? =3

Wreck: HELL N- *grabs brain* Okay!

Ahh, the sheer ridiculousness of that show.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you going to post it?
    Not sure, are bikini pics of Draenei allowed here?

OT: going nuts with an ingame friend with the performance function.

Found this gem in the forums. keyboard macro?
    https://twitter.com/50chiffon/status/933006163716710400
    Last edited by Granyala; 2017-11-21 at 08:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guess I need to level up the bard, damn it.

10+ Year Old Account
    New Bard UI.

CHRISTMAS MOUNT IS A BEAR IN A SANTA HAT!

My god I must have it.

https://gfycat.com/CraftyClutteredGalago
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-11-21 at 09:26 PM.

To be fair broham. Your 800+MS is not something ANY game developer can or will account for. Your situation as much as it angers me (more than a 0 dps healer), is such an outlier it's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    So Hall of the Intermediate/Savage/etc.?

Not to sound dismissive of the idea, because I like it. It could start off with something akin to Simon Says, for DPS at least, where it walks you through the basics of the rotation...although given gear descrepancies, perhaps that may idea may have some wrinkles...like BLM with a ridiculously high amount of spell speed, for example. I suppose that's nothing ilvl sync can't resolve.
    Yes, that's exactly what it would be. In fact I've actually seen that term echo'd before and not realized what it was in reference to until now. I think it's hard to do, and that the actual gain is a little on the low side, but I think it's just one of those mandatory features that an MMO needs to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Wreck, for this new raid, we need you to take off your helmet and go get smashed in the face by that giant monster. Doesn't that sound like fun? =3

Wreck: HELL N- *grabs brain* Okay!

Ahh, the sheer ridiculousness of that show.
    Yeah, it was a favorite of mine. Glad you got the reference.

I'd LOVE for the team behind the South park RPGs to make one in the ATHF universe. Day 1 purchase for me.

Squenix did attempt to do this kind of thing with the Halls of the Novice, which even offers nice rewards for completion. I think the problem was that it was a little bit too basic right from the off, and didn't have an intermediate or advanced follow on course where you're forced to put what you learned into practice. By the time what you learned becomes relevent you've already forgotten most of it.

As much as I approve of the idea, unforunately I don't see any MMO doing it in the forseeable future. Which is strange - MMO communities tend to view the entire point of grueling leveling periods as being an elongated tutorial, but put in anything thats even close to "hand holding" and you've just angered the same players this kind of thing would help the most.

Though it does beg the question of why leveling needs to take so long in the first place. In most cases, you can't get to learning the core basics of your job until level 50 at least, usually even level 60+ with all the mechanics that were added in the expansions. That, however, is a discussion for another time.

Nice one.

I'm hoping to walk by the docks in Limsa one day and hear Ken's theme from Street Fighter 2 being played. Won't be me doing it; I have the musical aptitude of a bag of sand.
    I'm no musical savant myself. Fortunately, Squenix have been kind enough to provide us actual musical notes to play rather than us having to go by ear. It simplifies the process to the point where you can look up the sheet music online and go from there.

Personally, if I ever hear anyone playing Ken's theme in Limsa I'll be KOing them faster than you can say "A new challenger approaches!". As much as I love Street Fighter, SF 5 has left me with the urge to punch Ken right in his stupid face.

To be fair broham. Your 800+MS is not something ANY game developer can or will account for. Your situation as much as it angers me (more than a 0 dps healer), is such an outlier it's ridiculous.
    Fortunately they will account for doing more work to have fewer customers, which IMO is what putting more hoops to jump through to access content that didn't require it before will accomplish more than anything else. Most people will either look at the new barrier and go 'Fuck this shit. *unsub*' or 'Okay, whatever. *pass trial, proceed to keep playing the same as they always did*'.

Ultimately, the same solutions exist as they always did. Vet people before playing with them if it's that important to you, otherwise accept that randoms gonna be random and endure what you can endure. And come bitch to the rest of us, cos we all understand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    New Bard UI.
    I spy piano, lol that's great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I spy piano, lol that's great.
    Yup, got the idea from the twitter-vid. had them all in a row per octave at first but that was weird and confusing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    You are now the Gourry Gabriev of our forum.

I started Horizon: Zero Dawn's Frozen Wilds DLC last week and then realized clock's ticking and I've got a massive project with a deadline looming....

I'm trying to convert/archive about 200 vinyl records to mp3 to give my Dad for Christmas before we sell his old record collection. That means a lot more time at the computer, not at the PS4!

So.....Mining gained a couple of levels and I'm 65 on CRP now. Going to work through the other crafting jobs to get them to 65 and work them up to save on gear taking up space.

As a result, the bedroom in my medium house is mostly put together, but I need to get smithing up for a few absolute hands down, no question MUST have items.

The samurai armor display and the katana display must be made....

I wish they'd have paper partitions without the sliding door, though. I could use some of those in a couple of places.

And some of the winners of the housing design contest are absolutely amazing.

I think it's a guarantee we'll get the tabletop rock garden in the near future. I want the Koi Pond.
    Did you just make a slayers reference?

Yes, that's exactly what it would be. In fact I've actually seen that term echo'd before and not realized what it was in reference to until now. I think it's hard to do, and that the actual gain is a little on the low side, but I think it's just one of those mandatory features that an MMO needs to have.
    Hall of the Novice is very much a thing in game; I did the tank one back when it came out just to get the xp boost ring (+30% xp on any DoW/M job below 30 and +3 to all main stats make it ridiculously good). It lives up to the name; it's not going to teach tanks things like provoke + shirk or how to optimize FoF + Requiescat windows, for example. But the stuff it did cover made sense; aggro combos, pulling mobs from range (vs. leeroying into all 8 of them), facing mobs away from friendly folks/npcs...just some of the stuff I recall it covering. Kinda wish they railroaded people into doing it in order to progress around the level it opens up (15); it rewards the ring I mentioned plus a set of gear (specific to whatever role/job you cleared it as) that is good to the early-mid 20s.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    I'm no musical savant myself. Fortunately, Squenix have been kind enough to provide us actual musical notes to play rather than us having to go by ear. It simplifies the process to the point where you can look up the sheet music online and go from there.

Personally, if I ever hear anyone playing Ken's theme in Limsa I'll be KOing them faster than you can say "A new challenger approaches!". As much as I love Street Fighter, SF 5 has left me with the urge to punch Ken right in his stupid face.
    Haven't played a SF game since SF4 came out what feels like a lifetime ago.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Squenix did attempt to do this kind of thing with the Halls of the Novice, which even offers nice rewards for completion. I think the problem was that it was a little bit too basic right from the off, and didn't have an intermediate or advanced follow on course where you're forced to put what you learned into practice. By the time what you learned becomes relevent you've already forgotten most of it.

As much as I approve of the idea, unforunately I don't see any MMO doing it in the forseeable future. Which is strange - MMO communities tend to view the entire point of grueling leveling periods as being an elongated tutorial, but put in anything thats even close to "hand holding" and you've just angered the same players this kind of thing would help the most.

Though it does beg the question of why leveling needs to take so long in the first place. In most cases, you can't get to learning the core basics of your job until level 50 at least, usually even level 60+ with all the mechanics that were added in the expansions. That, however, is a discussion for another time.
    Agreed Novice is too beginnerish (which is great, but as a standalone feature is lacking).

I also don't see it happening either. WoW has those class trials that are handy and teach you about basic rotation, but they've only developed the tutorials for DPS, tanks and healers are excluded (which is not good IMO).

As far as leveling goes this is slightly off topic, but I wouldn't be opposed to MMO's moving away from the traditional leveling paradigm. Instead of having a hard designed "end game" maybe they can start utilizing scaling tech and have the entire game be leveling and end game simultaneously.

I will tell you this. I've played a dozen different MMOs. I almost always enjoy the leveling experience (for the zones, story, feeling of progression/new skills unlocked etc.). End game always feels so stagnant because you stop growing and gaining new things.

Fortunately they will account for doing more work to have fewer customers, which IMO is what putting more hoops to jump through to access content that didn't require it before will accomplish more than anything else. Most people will either look at the new barrier and go 'Fuck this shit. *unsub*' or 'Okay, whatever. *pass trial, proceed to keep playing the same as they always did*'.

Ultimately, the same solutions exist as they always did. Vet people before playing with them if it's that important to you, otherwise accept that randoms gonna be random and endure what you can endure. And come bitch to the rest of us, cos we all understand.
    I agree that the fundamental issue of doing work that would impede players is an issue, but I'm not sold these barriers need to be hard, they just need to be fun and education and teach you. I really truly don't think that it would be a mass exodus of players who couldn't press tab to switch targets, or click a hotkey to drop a tank stance or read a text box that covered the entire screen or maybe they could highlight the button you need to hit.

Hall of the Novice is very much a thing in game; I did the tank one back when it came out just to get the xp boost ring (+30% xp on any DoW/M job below 30 and +3 to all main stats make it ridiculously good). It lives up to the name; it's not going to teach tanks things like provoke + shirk or how to optimize FoF + Requiescat windows, for example. But the stuff it did cover made sense; aggro combos, pulling mobs from range (vs. leeroying into all 8 of them), facing mobs away from friendly folks/npcs...just some of the stuff I recall it covering. Kinda wish they railroaded people into doing it in order to progress around the level it opens up (15); it rewards the ring I mentioned plus a set of gear (specific to whatever role/job you cleared it as) that is good to the early-mid 20s.
    Yeah - I know, but I want hall of intermediate/advanced. I imagine if it was in the game people would try it, better yet if the game FORCED you to try it (same with novice).

Yeah - I know, but I want hall of intermediate/advanced. I imagine if it was in the game people would try it, better yet if the game FORCED you to try it (same with novice).
    Ah, ok; was thinking you may not have seen/heard that HotN was even a thing in game, because unless one hawks over every patch note for this game, it's an easy thing to miss, barring there being some sort of breadcrumb quest to unlock it for lower level characters (I want to say I had everything at a minimum of 30-35 by the time it came out).

Hell, I can't say shit; not once have I ever tried my hand at Stone Sky Sea or whatever it's called now. The dps target dummy test for various content. Then again, I'd rather that thing cover actual mechanics one may encounter in the particular fight rather than "hurr durr can you do xyz amount of dps".

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Did you just make a slayers reference?
    Yes, he did.

Anyways, I wouldn't be opposed to a new Halls being added, with some new recolored gearset and XP Ring (maybe around lvl 40, lasting in boost up until lvl 50-60), but keep it out of the mandatory loop. Tempt them in with the carrot on the stick instead of beating them with it until they get past or are driven off.

Yes, he did.

Anyways, I wouldn't be opposed to a new Halls being added, with some new recolored gearset and XP Ring (maybe around lvl 40, lasting in boost up until lvl 50-60), but keep it out of the mandatory loop. Tempt them in with the carrot on the stick instead of beating them with it until they get past or are driven off.
    Hell, they sell boosts to 60 now. I don't see why they couldn't have an Not-so-brand-new ring that has an xp boost to 50 or even 60 at this point. Toss folks who would rather slog through the grind a bone.

Similar note: As much fun as I had leveling alts in WoW via heirloom gear, I much prefer the way this game has handled that sort of gear which grants xp bonuses. The current brand new ring is a great example. I know, I sound dismissive of WoW in that regard, but the stats on the heirloom stuff have gotten comically out of control. My friend and I shouldn't have been able to duo entire dungeons as tank + healer, but we certainly could thanks to that gear. The roflstomp was fun the first few times, but got old fast. This was during WoD, btw, so if heirloom scaling has been nerfed since then (which I doubt), I wasn't aware.

Another issue with WoW's dungeons is that barely any of them are mandatory, which means that anyone wanting to do them as intended risks being screwed over quite easily - which is one of the reasons I love FFXIV so much: it does a great job at keeping older content relevant.