10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulstrike View Post
    -snip-
    well, bards aren't in the phase 2 beta. Seeing as they've publicly said Jobs aren't in until P4. Also, bards in 1.0 are the Archer advanced job not the conjurer. Soooooooo try again, guy.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2013-04-07 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigitybones View Post
    i suggest editing your post as it is in breach of the nda.
    ah right my bad

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    well, bards aren't in the phase 2 beta. Seeing as they've publicly said Jobs aren't in until P4. Also, bards in 1.0 are the Archer advanced job not the conjurer. Soooooooo try again, guy.
    mmm im pretty damn sure there was an option with bard......anyways ya my bad

all these replies are making me nervous zzzzz just "NEW" to the game didnt get the NDA soz
    Last edited by Soulstrike; 2013-04-07 at 03:27 AM.
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulstrike View Post
    any1 know what end game is like?? enjoying the leveling (feels same as guild wars pretty much) is it dungeons AND raid or just dungeons??
    It's going to be tiered content like in modern mmo's, but as to what exactly the new content will entail is unknown to us at this point. They are keeping the Primal fights though, so just youtube the 1.0 versions and they will be pretty similar to them (I think in the last live letter Yoshi said he wanted to keep the fights as similar as possible to 1.0 and maybe add in more armour drops).

They also said that some of the harder FATEs could be considered as "open world end game", probably to cater towards the players who don't want to endgame on a schedule, but like I said at the start of the post, the exact details of endgame FATEs are unknown to us at the moment.
    Last edited by mmoceca64cae0b; 2013-04-07 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    There used to be areas with elite mobs in vanilla (e.g. Blasted Lands, "Entrance" to Hyjal near Frostwhisper, Entrance of ZG, even Un'goro Crater) that can one-two shot you.

Let me jog your memory,

Don't see such areas anymore in WoW - with the exception of the Isles of Giants which is really "out of the way".
    And yet he was still able to solo those relatively quickly. Not nearly as insurmountable as the danger of FFXI.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    And yet he was still able to solo those relatively quickly. Not nearly as insurmountable as the danger of FFXI.
    This is Faxmonkey ... the avg player does not have his solo-ing capabilities - and I'm quite sure all of these took multiple attempts and lots of trial and error.

Against those mobs, for most players it's certain death.

Deleted
    This is Faxmonkey ... the avg player does not have his solo-ing capabilities - and I'm quite sure all of these took multiple attempts and lots of trial and error.

It was the same in 11, I vividly remember some mobs taking hours to solo by RDMs. Either way, that kind of danger doesn't exist in WoW anymore, and I'm hoping that he meant for MMOs in the future to bring back some sort of danger compared to modern MMOs where there is no danger until endgame hardmode bosses.

A perfect example is the battering rams in Konschant Highlands and La Thein Plateau (go me for remember zone names when I haven't played in 5yrs), sure it was a pain because they weren't necessarily hard just a high lvl mob placed in a low lvl zone, like you said. But everyone remembers the first time they saw a high lvl character come up and kill one of those solo. It was a pretty impressive sight and made you say to yourself "One of these days I'm going to be a badass like that guy." I feel it added a bit of depth to the world, not to mention they weren't hard to avoid.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxonn View Post
    It was the same in 11, I vividly remember some mobs taking hours to solo by RDMs. Either way, that kind of danger doesn't exist in WoW anymore, and I'm hoping that he meant for MMOs in the future to bring back some sort of danger compared to modern MMOs where there is no danger until endgame hardmode bosses.

A perfect example is the battering rams in Konschant Highlands and La Thein Plateau (go me for remember zone names when I haven't played in 5yrs), sure it was a pain because they weren't necessarily hard just a high lvl mob placed in a low lvl zone, like you said. But everyone remembers the first time they saw a high lvl character come up and kill one of those solo. It was a pretty impressive sight and made you say to yourself "One of these days I'm going to be a badass like that guy." I feel it added a bit of depth to the world, not to mention they weren't hard to avoid.
    WoW does need more "dangerous" and forbidding places that are a challenge to get around in - of course putting dailies there is a bad idea.

However things like flying isn't helping.

Currently we have Isle of Thunder with it's wandering elites (soloable but you avoid them if you can help it) and Isle of Giants (the young ones are soloable with a bit of effort; the big ones ... rarely worth killing, some like the Devilsaurs are pretty much a death sentence).

Blizzard does seem to be avoiding such "dangers" though - e.g. 2 of the most dangerous Pandarian rares, the Jinyu-type and Pandarian-type, are neutral and will not aggro if you don't attack them.

Deleted
    I have to say though, it's really hard to find a good balance between "danger" and "lol1shoteverything".

But I agree with the whole flying thing, flying should be limited to flight paths only in my opinion. I quit WoW in 5.1 so I can't comment on the new isle and the mobs there, but in FFXI having to run to places to get things done, although sometimes took an obnoxious amount of time, was pretty immersive, running through sea to limbus or a jailer for example, if you weren't careful a UFO could come down and fuck you up.

But you need to be careful how far you want to take the sense of danger, because otherwise you will end up just ruining the experience for newer players. Remember crawler trains at Crawlers' Nest entrance before they despawned? Sure it was dangerous, but it wasn't an immersive or fun kind of dangerous, it was a "well fuck nothing I can do here, what a waste of time" kind of dangerous.

Once this pesky NDA is lifted I can actually say some things about 14 regarding this sense of immersion.

Edit: Does anyone know when PvP is being implemented into ARR by the way? It would be interesting to see how each class changes and the abilities they get (iirc it's been confirmed that every class will have separate abilities in pvp).
    Last edited by mmoceca64cae0b; 2013-04-07 at 08:16 PM.

Seegtease, the thing is you're misconstruing what I'm talking about. Fel Reaver in Hellfire Peninsula and the Rams in Konschtat/La Theine were two types I'm OK with; they're obviously not intended for you to kill while the proper level in that zone. That an acceptable danger that's only missable if you're an idiot.

No, the type I'm talking about that FFXI was terrible about were having two different monster types completely intermixed... and one was 10-15 levels higher than the other. It's why so many camps flat out didn't work in the game while leveling because of lazy work on whoever decided to just plop monsters down. It got worse and worse as time and expansions went on until WotG where it's obvious that whoever was in charge had no fucking clue what he was doing. You'd have, like in Vunkerl, level 35-40 birds mingling with level 65-70 tigers -- that's not "danger" that's "someone doesn't know what the fuck he's doing on mob placement."

A handful of monsters here and there that are noticeable and intended to be a challenge are OK: the rams in the flatlands, goobbues that are 5-7 levels higher than surrounding monsters in the Boyahda tree, and the random Malboro in Rolanberry fields that's a few levels higher are *GOOD* examples. Adding two monster types (one or both aggressive) that are mingling with absolutely zero fucking chance of being able to kill the higher ones (Vunkerl, parts of Yhoator and Yuhtunga, and most all of WotG) are primes examples of how to utterly fuck that up.

Well, what he was doing was pretty simple. In fact, compared to some of the soloing we have going on today, his was very simplistic. So much more to juggle now. The problem is that people have to make their own challenges. Hey, let's see if a DK can solo the Lich King! I mean, you have to go way out of your way for such challenges. None of them fly at you in the world (not anymore, and really back then they were pretty easy to avoid. Still, you could do them. I will admit that Ungoro used to be a fun and scary place, it was easily my favorite zone back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Viertel View Post
    Seegtease, the thing is you're misconstruing what I'm talking about. Fel Reaver in Hellfire Peninsula and the Rams in Konschtat/La Theine were two types I'm OK with; they're obviously not intended for you to kill while the proper level in that zone. That an acceptable danger that's only missable if you're an idiot.

No, the type I'm talking about that FFXI was terrible about were having two different monster types completely intermixed... and one was 10-15 levels higher than the other. It's why so many camps flat out didn't work in the game while leveling because of lazy work on whoever decided to just plop monsters down. It got worse and worse as time and expansions went on until WotG where it's obvious that whoever was in charge had no fucking clue what he was doing. You'd have, like in Vunkerl, level 35-40 birds mingling with level 65-70 tigers -- that's not "danger" that's "someone doesn't know what the fuck he's doing on mob placement."

A handful of monsters here and there that are noticeable and intended to be a challenge are OK: the rams in the flatlands, goobbues that are 5-7 levels higher than surrounding monsters in the Boyahda tree, and the random Malboro in Rolanberry fields that's a few levels higher are *GOOD* examples. Adding two monster types (one or both aggressive) that are mingling with absolutely zero fucking chance of being able to kill the higher ones (Vunkerl, parts of Yhoator and Yuhtunga, and most all of WotG) are primes examples of how to utterly fuck that up.
    I dunno, I never saw it as much of a problem. You needed to be aware of your surroundings. You couldn't just haphazardly fly through an area. You needed to learn an area, and remember where dangerous enemies are located. It actually added a realistic feel - familiarity allows for a safer trip. Your first few times through a zone SHOULD be dangerous.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    Well, what he was doing was pretty simple. In fact, compared to some of the soloing we have going on today, his was very simplistic. So much more to juggle now. The problem is that people have to make their own challenges. Hey, let's see if a DK can solo the Lich King! I mean, you have to go way out of your way for such challenges. None of them fly at you in the world (not anymore, and really back then they were pretty easy to avoid. Still, you could do them. I will admit that Ungoro used to be a fun and scary place, it was easily my favorite zone back then.
    Things were simpler back then.

But nonetheless those weren't easy fights. He nearly died in quite a few of them and had to use pots. Not to mention he was relatively well geared and those kills would have been impossible without his gear level.

Yeah I mean I understand the frustration with FFXI, especially considering you would lose something absurd like 10% of your max EXP per death with the best possible raise (Raise 3 i believe?)

Dropping 30k on sneak oils and invis powders was also a bummer, considering how hard it was to come by that kind of change (Sushi costing 50k)

I mean thats the type of game it was, a JRPG for a different era. Have you ever played FF4 (that might not be the right number, its the American version). Games were hard back then, maybe hard isn't the right word but time consuming definitely is.

I hope ARR retains some of those qualities, maybe not to that degree - but it was DIFFERENT then WoW. If you want to play WoW then you certainly can. FFXI never FAILED either. At multiple points it was close, if not over, 2 million subs. Thats pretty damn good, not to mention it is still collecting sub fees over 10 years later.

I just can't wait for the NDA to be lifted because I'm really in an MMO rut and need something like FFXI to get me back into a game.

Deleted
    You regained 90% of the lost exp with raise3, so you ended up losing about 200xp at lv75. Sure, it was a pain in the ass to lose exp without a R3 and nowadays is an outdated mechanic in mmo's, but it was never really as bad as people made it out to be.

I just can't wait for the NDA to be lifted because I'm really in an MMO rut and need something like FFXI to get me back into a game.
    XI just got a new expansion so play that, ARR isn't anything like XI ever was, so don't get your hopes up.
    Last edited by mmoceca64cae0b; 2013-04-08 at 03:28 PM.

Ah disappointing to say the least. Unfortunately FFXI now isn't anything like XI ever was- so there isn't any going back to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomcats View Post
    Ah disappointing to say the least. Unfortunately FFXI now isn't anything like XI ever was- so there isn't any going back to that.
    I've been playing FFXI again recently and I kind of do and don't agree. It's definitely as grindy as ever, though there feels as though there's less importance to knowing other people or getting a linkshell. Everything is kind of solo'ish or duo'ish, with almost everybody running around with a dual boxed healer or the like. It just isn't the same at all. Not to mention the mountainous gear grind that is now in place.

If I'd continued playing back when Abyssea first came out, it would've been OK, but now, it feels like trying to paddle a life raft across an ocean. It's doable, but you'll be grinding endlessly to get back up to par. Then when you get back up to par, you'll be grinding some more. Things like Dynamis and Salvage are just solo/duo grinds now, with most +2 versions abandoned and not enough English Linkshells around to cover all bases. So if you want to get almost anything done, you have to first, vastly out level whatever content you want to do, then go back and clear it. Some of the level capped areas will be impossible for new players to cover.

If anything, at least the levelling isn't too bad due to the usage of low level players in Abyssea as run arounds. But that basically means you're going to spend a few weeks, being a chest opening slave if you want to level up that way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    snip
    I've been thinking about coming back to play since I am between MMOs at the moment, but between SE still having shitty payment options (my old account won't accept any kind of payment options), and the reasonably short wait time for ARR there doesn't feel to be much point in starting up now if I'm going to be playing ARR. It doesn't help that I let my brother play my account after I quit so he leveled my jobs to 80, so I'm pretty much clueless for levels 75-80. I've also been looking around for some linkshells and I really couldn't find any decent EU shells about, and I can't play until 5am anymore, which is why I actually think region based servers in ARR is a damn godsend. I always found it to be a problem having half a server being JP who flat out refuse to group up and play with anyone who isn't Japanese.

10+ Year Old Account
    SE sent out their Legacy Credits Registration email. So, anyone who has a Legacy Account who wants their name in the credits should check their emails and go sign up.

10+ Year Old Account
    it's funny seeing the similarity in this thread and the old Swtor megathread:

Swtor:
    guy 1: I'm really looking forward to swtor, I hope it's just like SW:G
    guy 2: It wont be, tbh if you wanna play SW:G there are loads of servers you can play on.
    guy 1: I know, but after update X SW:G was totally ruined it wont be the same.

Here:
    guy 1: I'm really looking forward to FFXIV, I hope it's like FFXI
    guy 2: It wont be, tbh if you want a game like FFXI, go play FFXI.
    guy 1: I know, but after update X FFXI was totally ruined, it's just not the same anymore.

It does rather make me chuckle . Also... ffs Squeenix, send me a Beta key already .
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomcats View Post
    YoshiP, who took the reins on FFXIV: ARR, admits he did not really play FFXI. So I wouldn't expect many similarities. A game like FFXI also wouldn't really sell well on the current market. Which would be fine if it was different and fun for its niche players, but ARR needs to recoup the financial disaster that FFXIV 1.0 was. So they can't really afford it. Expect FFXIV to be more similar to popular MMOs like, yes, WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    YoshiP, who took the reins on FFXIV: ARR, admits he did not really play FFXI. So I wouldn't expect many similarities. A game like FFXI also wouldn't really sell well on the current market. Which would be fine if it was different and fun for its niche players, but ARR needs to recoup the financial disaster that FFXIV 1.0 was. So they can't really afford it. Expect FFXIV to be more similar to popular MMOs like, yes, WoW.
    But we don't NEED WoW clones. WoW clones won't get people to stop playing WoW and switch. They realize it's a clone and go back to WoW which they have invested too much time in. It sucks that there's only ONE single model that's acceptable for MMOs today. I really hope FFXIV brings something different to the table.