Thread: NCAA football

  1. #261
    Bloodsail Admiral mynameisjona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,193
    It was an epic game. Now to see the "lucky to be here" bowl tomorrow

    Good find skarsguard

  2. #262
    Epic! Sayl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scrubbity Burrow
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameisjona View Post
    As far as I can tell they are just paired with Nike since 1996

    http://www.complex.com/sports/2009/0...tball-uniforms
    Like skarsguard hints at a few posts back, there's a bit more to it than that. Phil Knight (Nike chairman) is an Oregon alum, and he's donated over $300 million to the university's athletic programs so far.

  3. #263
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    Like skarsguard hints at a few posts back, there's a bit more to it than that. Phil Knight (Nike chairman) is an Oregon alum, and he's donated over $300 million to the university's athletic programs so far.
    Got to love having a big corporate donation machine like that. Oregon gets ridiculous benefits out of that deal aside from their amazing practice facility, locker rooms, workout facilities, etc. They are out there every week wearing tech that won't be available to other teams for years. Their pads are always made from some space age material. They wear performance enhancing glasses in practice to improve reaction time. Pretty insane.

    The MSU game was just great. Penn St pretty thoroughly embarrassed the conference with the loss to Houston. Their "great" defense gave up 30 points. Most overrated team in the Big 10, maybe in the NCAA.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-01-03 at 12:27 AM.

  4. #264
    Moderator Skarsguard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ravenloft usually
    Posts
    2,517
    I knew Oregon really didn't have any kinda D but I thought the Badgers had some kinda Defense. Does anybody in college outside of LSU/Alabama play Defense (no im not starting an SEC war) because I'm including the sec as well.

  5. #265
    Bloodsail Admiral mynameisjona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,193
    I mean there are some big B1G defenses, but outside of LSU/Alabama (though I'm sorry Alabama's is pretty untested outside of LSU and Arkansas) there really isn't. It was an offensive year

    So that was kind of a BS call based on the rules that the chains have to be set for the clock to restart

  6. #266
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    I knew Oregon really didn't have any kinda D but I thought the Badgers had some kinda Defense. Does anybody in college outside of LSU/Alabama play Defense (no im not starting an SEC war) because I'm including the sec as well.
    Wisconsin's defense is alright, but they didn't play anyone at all this year outside of MSU and they gave up 37 and 39 points against them. But ya, LSU and Bama are about the only two real defenses in college football and even LSU gave up 27 points to Oregon. That 27 points is what LSU gave up in two or three weeks combined for the rest of the year. Hell LSU gave up two more points to Tennessee, Alabama, Ole Miss, Kentucky, and Miss St. COMBINED than they did in the Oregon game. Oregon is that good. LSU's defense is just on another level entirely. Alabama was statistically better, thanks to facing massively fewer plays and much worse competition than LSU (they played Penn St as their best out of conference game, the same team that got shellacked by Houston today), but on the field LSU was superior to anything else in college football.

  7. #267
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    I knew Oregon really didn't have any kinda D but I thought the Badgers had some kinda Defense. Does anybody in college outside of LSU/Alabama play Defense (no im not starting an SEC war) because I'm including the sec as well.
    LSU had the same yards per carry against Bama as they did against Oregon this season. But sorry, I forgot that they're the holy grail of defenses and no statistics will counter that statement.

    Our secondary makes a lot of bad coverage decisions, I admit that. If Boyett and Pleasant have to play close to make sure Ball doesn't run for 10 every time, Mitchell is literally the only pass coverage hope we have. And even he's a young gun who makes really dumb decisions like that PI in the first quarter.

    Oregon may not have a big, hulking D line like the southern style Ds do, but they're not a Washington by any means.

  8. #268
    Bloodsail Admiral mynameisjona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,193
    So screw both of those coaches (Stanford and OK State).

    1/2 yard line deciding to fuck the trip in needed for a touchdown and go for the kick instead.

    And Stanford deciding to kick it instead of keeping with the momentum. They were driving and broke it all.

    Congrats to OK State though. Glad they won

  9. #269
    Scarab Lord AceofHarts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,348
    i got to admit, the end of the rose bowl was hilarious. if you had enough time to snap the damn ball why didn't you just run a damn play?

  10. #270
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    i got to admit, the end of the rose bowl was hilarious. if you had enough time to snap the damn ball why didn't you just run a damn play?
    I can't really fault Wisconsin there. They wanted that extra 20-25 seconds to make sure everyone was lined up and they had the right play called. It was just unfortunate that the clock seemed to start early. I find it odd that it went down like that. Shouldn't the officials have given a more clear indication of when the clock would be starting? If the players know when the clock is starting, as they should after every first down, it doesn't take two seconds to spike the ball. They got robbed of one second of game time. I don't think it would have mattered though as pulling off that last second TD pass play rarely works out except for teams facing Wisconsin. And really, who here wasn't absolutely rooting for that game to come down to a last second Hail Mary toss by the Ducks to win it? I know I was. Seeing Wisconsin lose three crucial games in that fashion this year would have been hilarious.

    Hopefully Michigan can win tonight to try and salvage this Bowl season slightly for the B1G. Been pretty brutal so far. Big grats on 1-4 yesterday after 0-5 last year. The middle of the Big 10, Penn St, Nebraska, Iowa, OSU, etc., are so massively overrated.

  11. #271
    Scarab Lord AceofHarts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,348
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I can't really fault Wisconsin there. They wanted that extra 20-25 seconds to make sure everyone was lined up and they had the right play called. It was just unfortunate that the clock seemed to start early. I find it odd that it went down like that. Shouldn't the officials have given a more clear indication of when the clock would be starting? If the players know when the clock is starting, as they should after every first down, it doesn't take two seconds to spike the ball. They got robbed of one second of game time. I don't think it would have mattered though as pulling off that last second TD pass play rarely works out except for teams facing Wisconsin. And really, who here wasn't absolutely rooting for that game to come down to a last second Hail Mary toss by the Ducks to win it? I know I was. Seeing Wisconsin lose three crucial games in that fashion this year would have been hilarious.

    Hopefully Michigan can win tonight to try and salvage this Bowl season slightly for the B1G. Been pretty brutal so far. Big grats on 1-4 yesterday after 0-5 last year. The middle of the Big 10, Penn St, Nebraska, Iowa, OSU, etc., are so massively overrated.
    it was a first down, the clock starts as soon as the sticks are in place and the ref waves his hand.

  12. #272
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    it was a first down, the clock starts as soon as the sticks are in place and the ref waves his hand.
    Ya and as soon as the ref did the time in, arm circling motion Wisconsin snapped the ball and it "took" two seconds for him to spike it and the clock to stop. Either the time keeper started it to soon or stopped it too late. No reason that play should have taken two seconds. Either way it was a pretty stupid risk and the Badgers should have had a better shot at that with better clock management.

  13. #273
    Bloodsail Admiral mynameisjona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,193
    The clock wasn't stopped late. They saw the ball didn't hit the ground til after :00. The problem I have is that in the instant replay the sticks are clearly not set which means the clock shouldn't have been started that early

  14. #274
    The Georgia game made me sadface... I blame the commentators at half time for saying they thought it was a lost cause for Michigan St... /sigh

  15. #275
    Bloodsail Admiral mynameisjona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,193
    I'm sorry Arlee but that made me happy face. Improving the B1G reputation

  16. #276
    I'm sure it did you dirty evil Michigan slug!

    (idk why I went with slug just go with it!)

    It was a pretty exciting game though... 3 OT's >< It's like wth??

  17. #277
    Moderator Pendulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Treno
    Posts
    12,595
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I'm sure it did you dirty evil Michigan slug!

    (idk why I went with slug just go with it!)

    It was a pretty exciting game though... 3 OT's >< It's like wth??
    I missed it due to random acts of sleep

    The SEC's doing well so far, but it looks like the Big 12 will run away with the best Bowl record this year.

    General Off-topic/Fun Stuff/Diablo 3/Sports & Fitness mod(rules)------KUPO --------Sig by Elyssia------- Say hello to a world of marigolds

  18. #278
    Epic! Sayl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scrubbity Burrow
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameisjona View Post
    The clock wasn't stopped late. They saw the ball didn't hit the ground til after :00. The problem I have is that in the instant replay the sticks are clearly not set which means the clock shouldn't have been started that early
    Check out this video of the chain crew in action. To me it looks like the LoS rod and down indicator are in position, but the second rod man can't set properly because people's feet are in the way of the chain. Meanwhile, some derp on the crew places the ground indicator 5 yards too deep.



    I'd like to think they could do better, especially in a marquee game.

  19. #279
    Fluffy Kitten Badpaladin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    ccaarrrrllllll
    Posts
    11,090
    I'm sorry, but that key pass for Oregon should have been called back for a hold. It wasn't even subtle.
    My Short Required Reading List: One. Two. || Last.fm

  20. #280
    Moderator Skarsguard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ravenloft usually
    Posts
    2,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I missed it due to random acts of sleep

    The SEC's doing well so far, but it looks like the Big 12 will run away with the best Bowl record this year.
    Besides OK.State has the Big 12 played anybody in the top 25?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •