Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Shadowpriest no longer best targets for DI?

Shadowpriest no longer best target for DI?

firemage seems to be better option or?

from what ive seen it will stay pretty much the same prio although the benefits for a mage will increase slightly but still SPs and boomkins should get prio and only a mage if they have legendery and the others dont.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

I don't believe anything has changed. Shadowpriests still gain more dps from DI, and moonkins still have a higher uptime for the DI buff.

Deleted
    Well our firemage saying its alot better for him, probably for his personal dps. i guess a shadowpriest gain alot more of it than a firemage.. i would like to see some sims on that

I am not sure exactly what would have changed to make DI better on a Firemage now than a Spriest. Considering we weren't really changed at all, did they change something for fire mages?

15+ Year Old Account
    Pfft, give it to the holy pally.

WarcraftPriests.com - The Shadowlands Priest Community Website

Join over 100,000 Priests on our partnered Discord server: Warcraft Priests

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I am not sure exactly what would have changed to make DI better on a Firemage now than a Spriest. Considering we weren't really changed at all, did they change something for fire mages?
    Pyroblast’s initial damage has been increased by approximately 26%, and its damage over time has been increased by approximately 100%.
    Fireball damage has been increased by approximately 17%.

This will resoult in higher ignite tics and more dot damage.

Give DI to whoever does the best dps of the fire mage and the shadow priest, that person will benefit the most.

I imagine any class that has a possibility of getting DI will argue that it is best for them...

I would be curious with our current level of gear whether it can be said that we do not keep the buff active for warlocks to an acceptable degree. I'm looking up a log right now on Baleroc and the two warlocks in our raid had 97% and 92% uptime from the shadowpriests they were linked to.

It seems to me the uptime for the warlock is a non-issue as long as the class linked to them keeps the buff up relatively well. And if that's not an issue, then it's really just a question of who gets more DPS with it.

From a broad point of view we can say that X class benefits the most.

But from a raid point of view, each guild rarely has a sample of each class who is playing at the top of their game. In this regard, you generally would give DI to the strongest range DPS in your group, from a range of "acceptable classes".

I guess what I'm saying is this: If a fire mage can keep DI up for the warlock, and do more dps than anyone else with the buff, then I wouldn't have a problem with him getting it. As a raider my ultimate goal would just be to progress and beat the fight. If a certain class can contribute and make that happen faster than I can, then there's no problem.
    "Falling from heaven is not as painful as surviving the impact."

DPS Loss - my guild on Proudmoore
    The Old Guard - my guild on Earthen Ring
    Revenant - my guild on Echo Isles

Quote Originally Posted by Kilee25 View Post
    I guess what I'm saying is this: If a fire mage can keep DI up for the warlock, and do more dps than anyone else with the buff, then I wouldn't have a problem with him getting it. As a raider my ultimate goal would just be to progress and beat the fight. If a certain class can contribute and make that happen faster than I can, then there's no problem.
    I'm sorry, I don't understand. Do you mean my own dps is NOT the most important thing there is in a raid? :S

Quote Originally Posted by eErike View Post
    Pyroblast’s initial damage has been increased by approximately 26%, and its damage over time has been increased by approximately 100%.
    Fireball damage has been increased by approximately 17%.

This will resoult in higher ignite tics and more dot damage.

Give DI to whoever does the best dps of the fire mage and the shadow priest, that person will benefit the most.
    Oh... that is quite a bit of buffs. Sadly it looks like Gherkin has not had a chance to update his post about the benefits of giving DI by dps class/spec for 4.3 yet

I'd say in the meantime I agree with eErike... and even if the numbers end up still saying that spriest is better than fire mage you would still want to give it to the mage if say the spriest is not very good/has a habit of dying and vise versa. Giving DI to a bad player will not make them good ><

Quote Originally Posted by eErike View Post
    That doesn't even make sense. It in no way indicates which one of the targets benefits the most out of DI.

Following your logic, why not give DI to rogues if they top the meters?

You could sim both characters with and without DI, and see which gains the most personal dps out of it, and then compare that to the uptime tables which should still be the same (Nothing is ticking more, or faster, so the uptimes should be very similar).

As said above, if the shadow priest is a lesser player to the fire mage, give it to the better target. But i'd be surprised if a fire mage was suddenly a better target for DI, even with the buffs.

---------- Post added 2011-12-01 at 09:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by zYN View Post
    That doesn't even make sense. It in no way indicates which one of the targets benefits the most out of DI.

Obviously you're taking that statement a little too far, i think he was only comparing the two because it is known that they would be fairly close in benefit.

Deleted
    Shadow priests have a larger portion of their damage from dots than a firemage.

Shadow priests benefit a lot better from haste than a fire mage.

The firemage is just asking for buffs.

It's not bad for firemages, and if the mage is a better raider then give him the buff. But equal skill and gear etc a shadowpriest will still bring the best benefit to the raid dps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zYN View Post

Agree.

You aren't looking for highest DPS, you are looking for highest DPS gain.

For instance; you give the top DPS fire mage DI, and he gains 3k DPS (numbers pulled from the magical place that is my butt).

Now, you give it to the SP, and he gains 5k DPS.

For the raid the SP grants an additional 2k DPS overall.

And, as mentioned by an earlier poster, the fire mage may have higher DPS, but their spells and talents do not necessarily benefit from additional haste in the same fashion that a SP will.

15+ Year Old Account
    Shadowpriests still gain more dps from DI than fire mages, and provide higher uptime to the warlock than fire mages. Unless your fire mage deals like 5k+ more dps than your shadowpriest - it should be on your shadowpriest. If fire mages really want a unique buff they can trade they can spec arcane and give each other focus magic to the detriment of the raid - like they Always do.

I do more dps as shadow than our fire mage does (both legendaries), so I get DI - even if he did more dps than me - it should still go to me - because the raid gains more dps from giving it to me than from giving it to him.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by SkillOverKill View Post
    Shadowpriests still gain more dps from DI than fire mages, and provide higher uptime to the warlock than fire mages. Unless your fire mage deals like 5k+ more dps than your shadowpriest - it should be on your shadowpriest. If fire mages really want a unique buff they can trade they can spec arcane and give each other focus magic to the detriment of the raid - like they Always do.

I do more dps as shadow than our fire mage does (both legendaries), so I get DI - even if he did more dps than me - it should still go to me - because the raid gains more dps from giving it to me than from giving it to him.
    Do you have numbers to back up your statements?

Just for reference I am linking the [Mechanics] Dark Intent (4.2). Like I said before it hasn't been updated but it is still good for reference until someone whips up new numbers and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsparrow View Post
    Shadow priests have a larger portion of their damage from dots than a firemage.

Shadow priests benefit a lot better from haste than a fire mage.

The firemage is just asking for buffs.

It's not bad for firemages, and if the mage is a better raider then give him the buff. But equal skill and gear etc a shadowpriest will still bring the best benefit to the raid dps.
    you sir are correct
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Sounds like a euphemism for real life. We throw money at the rich, in hopes that we will someday be rich, and then we get hookers to piss on us. That's what trickle down economics really is.

How can I explain to my guild that when rolling with 3 shadow priests + 1 boomkin and 1 warlock that it would benefit to give the DI to the highest dps shadow priest than the Boomkin?

Also, in that note how can i explain to the raid leader that dropping 1 of the shadow priests for a second warlock (that is waiting online) would be a better benefit to the guild?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Existenz99 View Post
    How can I explain to my guild that when rolling with 3 shadow priests + 1 boomkin and 1 warlock that it would benefit to give the DI to the highest dps shadow priest than the Boomkin?
    By linking him the thread that Arlee just linked about Dark Intent. Shadow Priests have always been better than Boomkins for Dark Intent, and seeing as nothing's changed for either classes, Shadow Priests are still the better target for Dark Intent.