Poll: Do you want an achievement system in SWTOR?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    i hate achievements with a passion so No plz fkin NO

Achievements are in the game, it is just not a points system like WoW.

I hope people realize that WoW stole the idea for achievements from other games, namely Warhammer Online I believe.

If you want to run around unlocking everything there is in the game, that is what the codex is for.

Achievements in WoW related to 5 mans and raids were just stupid. Mainly because you can go back and do them when you outgear everything. If they implemented an achievement system that closed down after it was current I might support it.

But going back and running Nax 10 for the "Immortal" achievement when everyone has 150k health in the next xpac is just flat out retarded and not an "achievement".

If I see someone wearing full current tier heroic raid gear and a ridiculously high achievements points score I say "WoW that person must have no life they put in a lot of time to get those awesome achieves"
    If I see someone wearing hello kitty purple gear with an almost as high achievement score I say "WoW bet this person cant wait until next xpac when they can knock out all those achieves that currently are too difficult for them"

If they implement an achievement system for content I hope it locks when the content is no longer current. So we don't get the syndrome of a bunch of high schoolers bragging they beat a 3rd grader in dodgeball.

Deleted
    LF a dps-healer with 2200 achiv for our RBG team , no achiv = no answer
    This may take shorter in making groups and more succeful , but hurting the community

OR i have 2600 k achiv arena , u got 1550 , L2p
    Last edited by mmocbeb563a6f8; 2011-12-06 at 02:44 PM.

The codex entries ARE achievements, did no one actually bother to click on them when you get them? Not all are "achievement" related, but you do get entries for things like gaining new tittles or killing new beasts that you come across.

Deleted
    I love the achievement system, i however did never liked the instance and raid achievements.
    I prefer the achievement system as something you pursue on your own, or if they want to attach it to raid and instances, don't make it something that makes a the raid leader yell "Wipe!" over and over, because people are used to doing it in a certain way, but omg then you don't get the achievement, on something which is normally easy as hell.

10+ Year Old Account
    voted for: Maybe - if they do ...

I don't mind achievements, in WoW i use it to see if i missed anything. did i do all the dungeons? did i get that reputation up ? etc. what i absolutely HATE are achievements that need you to do something in a special way and being dependend on others to get it right

"kill big ass mofo with your hand tied behind your back while healer tickles your left testicle" boss dead -> no achievement. oh dang! i was tickling the right testicle!

ding you got level 50. nice achievement
    ding you killed the end boss of random flashpoint. nice achievement
    ding you killed the boss while doing something vague during the encounter. not so nice achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosc View Post
    The codex entries ARE achievements, did no one actually bother to click on them when you get them? Not all are "achievement" related, but you do get entries for things like gaining new tittles or killing new beasts that you come across.
    Here I was thinking the Codex was a knowledge base of things you encountered in game.

a·chieve·ment : something accomplished, especially by superior ability, special effort, great courage, etc.; a great or heroic deed: his remarkable achievements in art.

Don't see targeting a new type of creature or entering a new zone to fit to that description.

They said they planned to have one in at launch, but only for notable ACHIEVEMENTS (Killing Operation Bosses, finishing planetary story arcs, etc.) - Stuff that actually is worth achieving.

That may have gotten pushed to post-launch however. Which I am fine with. I like achievements, but moreso when they hold merit to their difficulty or time-investment. And this is coming from someone at 9455 Achievement Points in WoW.
    Last edited by ZeroEdgeir; 2011-12-06 at 02:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    There's going to be an achievement system in launch, as far as I'm aware. They just couldn't get it on the beta to be tested.
    Oh well that makes this whole thing sort of pointless. Eh, it didn't really bother me ALL that much in WoW, I doubt it'll be much different in TOR.
    "I'll tell you something, my Tenchi, you know the carnival comes and goes. But if you wait for a while, it'll always come back to you, Tenchi."~Ryoko TENCHIxRYOKO FTW!

"The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force.
    The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined. The crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post
    They said they planned to have one in at launch, but only for notable ACHIEVEMENTS (Killing Operation Bosses, finishing planetary story arcs, etc.) - Stuff that actually is worth achieving.
    This is what I like about the achievements I did see in the beta. The most common form of this was titles for finishing the planet story arcs (ie. "Conqueror of Balmorra"), related to Dark Side/Light Side levels or character story arc progression (like getting your Lord or Darth titles). Anything that would be more in line with what WoW currently has would probably be a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    I'm one of those sad players who loves the concept of achievements; even if it just gives me something to do outside the normal gameplay. I know the game has 'codexes' now, but they hardly are the same thing, it's just like recovering a piece of text. I've played about 70-80 hours total in 3 different beta weekends and I absolutely love the game. But if there's one thing I'd like them to add later on it's an achievement system.

So what do you think?
    They have an achievement system in the codex. /thread

The Codex is better. I hate the achievement system in WoW. So much meaningless crap. An achievement system is cool when it makes sense. There are a few special achievements in WoW that some adore, but alot of it is random crap.

I like the idea of the Codex though cause it records information of the places you visit and things you see. Like a badass pokedex. It is an achievement and exploration system all in one to me. I think TOR actually has a better plan for making it entertaining that way, but that is just based on what I have been told about it or found out myself. It could be bad as well, but no more logging in on a game only to see a "ding, you are so fackin special for logging on during a period of two weeks, please keep playing forever"-message on my screen. If a game is worth being played you shouldn't have to be rewarded with a special feat for it.. I want the game to stroke my fancy, not my stupid ego.
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Hmm, not sure how I missed that - I didn't find such a system. Perhaps I should change the question to 'more extensive' achievement system then, as after having leveled up to 30 I didn't notice a single one. But perhaps that will come with time, or their design choice is to only make meaningful achievements. Or do they just look the same when you 'discover' a codex?
    Because the achievements are meaningful and you actually have to achieve something to get them.
    Simply doing a /spit on another player isn't going to cut it in SWTOR like it does in wow.
    VOTE TRUMP! Make America Great Again!

I kinda thought the Lore codex filled in the achievement part of the game.

Lol even Rift had achievements at launch.

Deleted
    WoW did not need Achievements, so TOR doesn't need them either... if they implement an achievement system, at least let it be meaningful.

Deleted
    Does it need them? In my experience, Achievements in WoW have led to a LOT of the new player/ old player prejudice that's around.

15+ Year Old Account
    There is, the only difference is that you can't view unfinished achievements... As soon as you get it, it will pop and appear in a codex. this is kind of hidden, but much more realistic and less farm-encouraging.. of course, it's only a matter of time when Torhead will provide majority of common achievements to get

There WILL be achievements in SWTOR.

as you can read here.

As others have stated, but many appear to be missing. Achievements are IN SWTOR. They are not set up like WoW's as many here are used to. They are not a point system. It is a separate section under the codex that displays things like killing flashpoint, operation, and world bosses, titles, datacrons, and things in PvP. In the codex the section even say "Achievement" next to them. Let me direct you to the database, here