Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh man, I thought this was going to be another one of those "WoW is about to get owned" threads. Good thing I read it, this is actually pretty interesting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    WoW is bigger than that tho. That picture does not include northrend and outland.
    Would not be fair to include areas added by expansion packs, SWTOR has not even been released yet.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mainman View Post
    is swtor bigger than wow i mean as in places to explore before flying was introduced to wow, from what little ive seen its doesnt look as big
    the first review i read said its Massive but then directly compared it to wow saying that it was larger in size but there was alot of open kinda pointless space at the time being, noting travel was kinda lame in comparison for the author..it was from a respectable source but cant find the link:/

kudos for that sick chart, interesting to look at.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

Quote Originally Posted by xsistor View Post
    Somehow I doubt it. WoW's world is big not merely because of the land surface area, but because of how intricately detailed even ordinary parts of the world are. There is so much history even in a chunk as small as as Elwynn Forest and Northshire. Every MMO I've played (and I've played a great many) tends to have large empty expanses, and SWTOR was no different. Rift, I had hoped would equal WoW in the intricacy and detail in the world. Going upto Silverwood and finding the college convinced me it could, but moving ahead, most of the rest of the world was full of featureless expanses.

WoW's world I bet, after we've spent equal time on both, will feel much fuller and richer and therefore ultimately "bigger".

WoW has had years of development thrown in, in the form of expansions and other updates since 2004. And it has such a rich history given the original game is ten years older going back to 1994. I would be surprised if any development studio could churn out as substantial a gameworld as WoW's without a very very large investment in development, possibly circa half a billion dollars.

And I don't mean these dollars either...

(Offtopic)
    I remember a long time ago when i lived in Zimbabwe when the Dollar was stronger than the English pound, thanks Mugabe for ruining a wonderful country.

I remember playing as a bounty hunter and thinking the starting area was rather small when i checked the map, with the zoned areas for personal quests etc it did seem to be rather compact and i did feel slightly cramped in the location.

No idea how big the rest of the planets are but i really hope they are vast in terms of area not only quests.

Looking forward to it

Quote Originally Posted by xsistor View Post
    Somehow I doubt it. WoW's world is big not merely because of the land surface area, but because of how intricately detailed even ordinary parts of the world are. There is so much history even in a chunk as small as as Elwynn Forest and Northshire. Every MMO I've played (and I've played a great many) tends to have large empty expanses, and SWTOR was no different. Rift, I had hoped would equal WoW in the intricacy and detail in the world. Going upto Silverwood and finding the college convinced me it could, but moving ahead, most of the rest of the world was full of featureless expanses.

WoW's world I bet, after we've spent equal time on both, will feel much fuller and richer and therefore ultimately "bigger".

WoW has had years of development thrown in, in the form of expansions and other updates since 2004. And it has such a rich history given the original game is ten years older going back to 1994. I would be surprised if any development studio could churn out as substantial a gameworld as WoW's without a very very large investment in development, possibly circa half a billion dollars.

And I don't mean these dollars either...
    Agreed. I've always admired WOW's world compared with other RPGs (not just MMOs), what it lacks in land mass is made up for in content density. Instead of having players transverse miles of empty copy-pasta textures, we end up with more compact areas that are infinitely more fun to explore.

From what I've played of SW, its more similar to WOW than something like DAOC.

Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    WoW is bigger than that tho. That picture does not include northrend and outland.
    It's easy to use some perspective though. Azeroth in 2004, was bigger than Northrend and it's also bigger than the Outlands. So, at best, WoW is 3 times bigger than it is on that map comparison.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Would not be fair to include areas added by expansion packs, SWTOR has not even been released yet.
    What do you mean by not fair? They are there, therefore wow is bigger than on the picture. When SWTOR has more areas added, i expect they should be counted aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomChickn View Post
    Oblivion vs daggerfall: Holy shit, I knew daggerfall was big, but not THAT big.
    well ya, daggerfall included ALL of Tamriel, heck i wish they would go back and redo daggerfall. imagine how much fun we would have then =D
    Tell them that the Lich King is dead...and the World of Warcraft...died with him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Revelations View Post
    It is, WoW is actually quite small when comparing it to other games

Check this out: http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/u...me-worlds2.jpg

That picture is wrong on so many levels...

I mean, lotro is a nice game, i play it now and then, but this picture claims that lotro playable landmass is 375 times the landmass of wow.
    Just think about that, 375 times vanilla wow (kalimdor and eastern kingdoms), that would mean you would have about 7500 playable zones the size of dun morogh.

In reality lotro playable landmass is as big as kalimdor, at most, especially before the expansion packs.

Next, it claims daggerfall playable landmass is 4000 times the size of oblivion playable landmass. Just think about it for a second, 4000 times oblivion....
    Whoever made this picture is clearly an idiot.
    Last edited by mmocd1f612b92e; 2011-12-10 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Senbo View Post
    well ya, daggerfall included ALL of Tamriel, heck i wish they would go back and redo daggerfall. imagine how much fun we would have then =D
    Yes, one of the largests worlds ever made. Altough mostly auto-generated. :P Still very impressive, but not as impressive as Minecraft.

Minecraft has 1 square = 1 m. And with that in mind, Minecraft is 8x the size of the earth. It would take a staggering ~900days just to walk from one side to another, and innumerable consecutive lifetimes if you want to explore the complete potential surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidmaster View Post

Next, it claims daggerfall playable landmass is 4000 times the size of oblivion playable landmass. Just think about it for a second, 4000 times oblivion....
    It is true. Daggerfall was immense, truely, immense. It was mostly autogenerated terrain, but yes it really was that big. Morrowind has been a massive cutback in landmass, because it would be impossible for a system to run a game like Morrowind with the landsize of Daggerfall.
    Maybe do a little background research before you claim someone an idiot, because you are wrong and the person who made that was right. So now you look like the idiot.
    Last edited by terrahero; 2011-12-10 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Yes its fair. We are not comparing what games started with, we are simply looking at the total playable area offered. Nothing prevent SWTOR from coming out with more. I would love to have the entirety of the planets playable regardless of the fact that most of it would only have filler content and no quests and such. Hell, with starships there is no reason why the entirety of any planet is not accessible.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

I mean, lotro is a nice game, i play it now and then, but this picture claims that lotro playable landmass is 375 times the landmass of wow.
    Just think about that, 375 times vanilla wow (kalimdor and eastern kingdoms), that would mean you would have about 7500 playable zones the size of dun morogh.

In reality lotro playable landmass is as big as kalimdor, at most, especially before the expansion packs.

you obviously never played daggerfall.
    Tell them that the Lich King is dead...and the World of Warcraft...died with him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    Yes, one of the largests worlds ever made. Altough mostly auto-generated. :P Still very impressive, but not as impressive as Minecraft.

Minecraft has 1 square = 1 m. And with that in mind, Minecraft is 8x the size of the earth. It would take a staggering ~900days just to walk from one side to another, and innumerable consecutive lifetimes if you want to explore the complete potential surface.

It is true. Daggerfall was immense, truely, immense. It was mostly autogenerated terrain, but yes it really was that big. Morrowind has been a massive cutback in landmass, because it would be impossible for a system to run a game like Morrowind with the landsize of Daggerfall.
    Maybe do a little background research before you claim someone an idiot, because you are wrong and the person who made that was right. So now you look like the idiot.

Yeah, ofcourse i am an idiot, did you even think about what you said before typing it in?

I did play daggerfall, and yes, it was big. But not 4000 times the size of the oblivion map.
    50 times as big would be stretching it already, and this picture is claiming 4000 times, maybe you start doing some research....

Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post

saddest part is we never even got to play in all of morrowind, it was only vvardenfell.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomChickn View Post
    Oblivion vs daggerfall: Holy shit, I knew daggerfall was big, but not THAT big.
    yeah, that made me wanna play daggerfall again and go to ALL THOSE PLACES i didnt even know that existed ! and yet i am still in whiterun in skyrim..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Senbo View Post
    you obviously never played daggerfall.
    These are more realistic numbers:

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/pos...e-to-oblivion/

Note that those are numbers from Bethesda, they say that oblivion is 16 square miles, which they also say in the other picture.
    But then, in the other picture they claim daggerflal is 62000 square miles, while Bethesda numbers are 62 square miles (read the link i posted).

So, in fact, daggerfall is 4 times the size of oblivion, which sounds way more realistic than 4000 times don't you think? And yes, i played both oblivion and daggerfall.

Also, read my other comment about the lotro size on the pic, they claim that lotro landmass is 375 times wow landmass, you will know how "realistic" that picture is.....
    Last edited by mmocd1f612b92e; 2011-12-10 at 04:22 PM.

It's not about the size of the world(s), it's about the content within them. Technically EVE Online has the largest world, but the vast majority of it is just empty space.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaesebrezen View Post
    Yet there is nothing to explore on those planets, and they look basically the same everywhere. Also the planets on SWTOR grow in size, the number of quests on those planets doesn't. So basically the only thing that grows larger are your travel routes.
    The only planet that really has little to explore it tatooine,and well...its a desert for gods sake.WoW doesnt have anything to explore either,it kinda used to but all the mystery and sense of scale died with outlands for the most part,flying did most of that.

These are more realistic numbers:

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/pos...e-to-oblivion/

Note that those are numbers from Bethesda, they say that oblivion is 16 square miles, which they also say in the other picture.
    But then, in the other picture they claim daggerflal is 62000 square miles, while Bethesda numbers are 62 square miles (read the link i posted).

So, in fact, daggerfall is 4 times the size of oblivion, which sounds way more realistic than 4000 times don't you think? And yes, i played both oblivion and daggerfall.
    how about arena =O cuz most people ive met only played oblivion >~> so its nice seeing another elderscrolls fanatic who likes ALL their games.

Deleted

It says 30,000 = 30, not 30000