View Poll Results: Which is more well known?

Voters
100. This poll is closed
  • World of Warcraft

56 56.00%
  • Counter Strike

44 44.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    CS is definitely a more "famous" game but it's not nearly as popular as it used to be. If you compared them both when they were 7 years old like WoW is now, CS would win I think
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account
    Counter strike is one of the most played games on steam. Go look. Source is up there on the list also. 2 counter strike games on the most played games on steam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Is this a joke? Wow is WAY more well known. You can go into any random room full of non-gamers, and ask what Counterstrike is, they're gonna look at you confused, and tell you no. You ask them if they know what World of Warcraft is, and they'll tell you it's one of them video games, and they may mention Chuck Norris.

Among gamers, they're both well known. The more casual you get though, the less well known Counterstrike is. I watched WCG a few days ago with some friends of mine, and one of them had to ask what Counterstrike is, she played wow for about 2 years though.
    Exactly this. Everyone has heard of WoW, only gamers know (and praise) Counterstrike. WoW appears in pop culture with surprising frequency, CS does not. There is no debate to be had, I'm pretty sure I even heard David Letterman make a WoW joke once.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have played CS for years and still do and enjoy it.

WoW was fun for 5 years.

Both are good in their own ways.

Which is more popular, cheese or chocolate?

10+ Year Old Account
    On a personal level, I haven't met anyone in my life who played CS, when almost every single other person I meet has or does play wow : \
    "The Tol'vir people must be really shy considering they don't ever speak to us.." -Zneebor LOL

Why do people not answer a simple question. What is more POPULAR. Answer is obviously WoW, if not for the simple fact that they advertise. A person that has never played a video game has seen on TV "celebrities" like Chuck Norris, William Shatner, Mr. T, Aubrey Plaza, Mini Me, and Ozzy Osbourne promote World of Warcraft (those are just American celebrities, there are also European, Spanish, and Asian celebrities with WoW commercials). Mountain Dew, Toyota, and even a few parodies like Office Space have graced prime-time TV and internet ads. If you honestly think CS is more "popular" (appealing to the general public by definition).......you are sadly mistaken. WoW is Lady Gaga, and CS is Regina Spektor.

you are in a mmo website asking which is more popular an MMO or and fps, go to an fps website and ask the same question everybody will say Counter Strike...Counter Strike is BY FAR more popular world wide than wow, in my country ppl dont even know what wow is.

I think people got the right idea when they say that everyone and his mother knows that WoW is a game, whilst CS is only known within the gaming circle.

Though, that people still don't know what it is confuses me. I started playing CS during the beta release in 1999.

On a sorta related side-story I was playing LoL some weeks ago and I apparently I had a 12-year old kid on my team and suddenly it hit me. I've been playing CS for as long as he's been alive...

10+ Year Old Account
    I voted CS because among people that don't play games, CS is way more known that WoW, at least where I live.

You're kidding right? There's too few people playing Counter Strike now, and we still have 10 million players playing WoW. I don't see how this is going.

Beside counter-strike is way outdated, nobody updates it, unlikely WoW.
    I'm not sure if that is what "popular" means...

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Faustus View Post
    I have played CS for years and still do and enjoy it.

WoW was fun for 5 years.

Both are good in their own ways.

Which is more popular, cheese or chocolate?
    This discussion has no bearing on which is good. Only popular.

Here's the thing: non-gamers don't have a clue about counter strike. But due to advertising and the amount of hype, WoW is MUCH more well known.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiki420 View Post
    On a personal level, I haven't met anyone in my life who played CS, when almost every single other person I meet has or does play wow : \
    This. Though some of my real gamer friends have played CS, nobody else has. People who I never even THOUGHT would be into video games play WoW, though.

In a household name sense, Warcraft is more popular. I'd say that the Quake series is even more well known than CS.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW is popular yes - but why? I would love to see the breakdown of the WoW population - active accounts with regular logins and the age of an account would be interesting.

Both games will be around for a long time, howevere I think WoW will lose many players over the coming years and end up with a hardcore element akin to Ultima.

WoW is like American Football
    CS is like Soccer

One is famous in few countries (wow) while the other is famous globally (CS).

Winner: CS, no competition at all

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say WoW is more publicly known (even if perceived negatively) in the West. It's advertised frequently on television so it has a presence outside of the gaming community, unlike CS. Call of Duty is probably more well known than CS.

WoW is like American Football
    CS is like Soccer

One is famous in few countries (wow) while the other is famous globally (CS).

Winner: CS, no competition at all
    Pretty much this, and I've never played CS. Been playing MMOs since 1999.

Deleted
    Of all my former school classmates like 50% of the boys had played Counter-Strike and only like 20% WoW. I think Counter-Strike is way more known among young people, older generations may know only WoW because it is more present in all kinds of media.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Is this a joke? Wow is WAY more well known. You can go into any random room full of non-gamers, and ask what Counterstrike is, they're gonna look at you confused, and tell you no. You ask them if they know what World of Warcraft is, and they'll tell you it's one of them video games, and they may mention Chuck Norris.
    Other way around.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by Taiki420 View Post
    Good point. I think everyone's experience will be different. In my case, it's the opposite, I have more friends that are familiar with CS than WoW. And most of these people were big gamers back in the late 90s, early 2000s.

I also think that while WoW has a more casual popularity, CS (even just 1.6) has a more competitive scene to it than WoW. There's still a HUGE following for CS1.6 in europe (not as much in US), AFTER MORE THAN 10YEARS. I'd be very interested if your poll had the options included where the person resides. I would think that the people that said CS are mainly from europe because even now, Europe still has a huge following for 1.6

As many have mentioned, I also think WoW gets its popularity from the vast amount of media that constantly advertises it. I mean, how many streamers were around when CS was in its golden age trying to reach out the potentially non-CS player? If you exclude HLTV, 0.

If CSGO turns out to be as good and competitive as 1.6, you can sure as hell bet that CSGO will be one extremely popular game, both for casuals and the competitive scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    People still play counter-strike? I can't remember the last time anybody talked about the game (even those who used to play FPS pretty frequently)

Everyone and their dog plays WoW. I run into people all the time that bring it up in conversation.

It's WoW. How is this even a question?
    You should be infracted for voicing such an ignorant comment.
    Last edited by Creatinebrah; 2011-12-13 at 11:22 PM.

Counterstrike was insanely popular years back. I remember playing it and everyone seemed to play. A lot of people now though were too young to have played it, so they don't know just how popular it used to be. You also have to take into account that the internet wasn't used as much as it is now. The net started really picking up steam in the late 90's.

10+ Year Old Account
    idiot thread

That's nice. If you aren't going to try and post productively, refrain from posting please. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2011-12-14 at 04:28 AM.