Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

"The Ancient One" - Taris World Boss

Not really a serious video because it's just a world boss but thought some people might be interested in seeing one, with a full Operation raid fighting it.

The Ancient One is an over-sized lvl38 heroic world boss worm that is dead set on killing anyone who is courageous enough to battle it. It is located in The Sinking City area of Taris (most northern map) and is pop spawned by clicking on the dead Jedi, which is located approximately around [-800, -656].

Due to its level it’s advised that you take a tank that’s no lower than 36, to reduce the amount of damage taken – this isn’t the case for the off-tank, which may be lower if needed. Aside from that, as long as the average level for your team as a whole, is around 35 you will have no problems dealing with this monster.

The fight is primarily tank and spank but it does have two things to look out for:

• Pools of slime spew from under the boss, tanks should move the boss out of it and melee should make sure not to stand in it too long
    • Adds will spawn periodically throughout the fight and should be picked up by the off-tank – dps (especially ranged) should focus on these to kill them quickly.

Easy mechanics but a thrilling fight because, well, it’s a gigantic worm.
    Last edited by Toralin; 2011-12-23 at 02:07 AM.

I like this game a lot mostly for it story aspect, but it needs to get a lot better from a combat animation fluidity standpoint, that was hard to watch.

Deleted
    Thx for sharing @ OP.

Though i have to agree with the poster when i watch those worldboss videos, this is not a fantastic game for showing raidbosses...2002 called they want their combat animation back.

Quote Originally Posted by Floppi14 View Post
    Thx for sharing @ OP.

Though i have to agree with the poster when i watch those worldboss videos, this is not a fantastic game for showing raidbosses...2002 called they want their combat animation back.
    really? I think the animations are leagues better than other mmos, and actually quite good for games in general. You must be wrong or something...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tripplebooya View Post
    really? I think the animations are leagues better than other mmos, and actually quite good for games in general. You must be wrong or something...
    Yet to seen a single interesting boss fight, they all look like they would've been made 8+ years ago, terribly boring. Why cant they make smooth animations? If not on the player chars why not on the bosses atleast, geez.

Another one I found last night:

15+ Year Old Account
    FPS on those videos are terrible..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora View Post
    Well there's quite a few people with performance issues so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora View Post
    My PC runs SWTOR pretty well at max, but when running FRAPS it knocks off a good 10+ frames. Doesn't happen in an instanced event (operation) though, only from world-events.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toralin View Post
    My PC runs SWTOR pretty well at max, but when running FRAPS it knocks off a good 10+ frames. Doesn't happen in an instanced event (operation) though, only from world-events.
    Overall i'd say the performance could be better though.

Deleted
    The second fight looks scarily simple. The questing and the game so far has been great, so I hope they didn't drop the ball on the raids. Atleast for me, end-game PVE is the only way this game will have staying power.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    The second fight looks scarily simple. The questing and the game so far has been great, so I hope they didn't drop the ball on the raids. Atleast for me, end-game PVE is the only way this game will have staying power.
    These are world bosses - you are expected to pickup a group and go down them.

Kazzak/Azuregos had pretty simple mechanics also.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Batistarama View Post
    Overall i'd say the performance could be better though.
    Oh of course, couldn't agree more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Draex View Post
    These are world bosses - you are expected to pickup a group and go down them.

Kazzak/Azuregos had pretty simple mechanics also.
    Precisely, 2002 i belive, right ?
    Though to be faire i haven't seen the cata 4.0 "open world raid bosses" for myself either.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Would it be wrong of me to say it reminded me of FFXI? Because it did...
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

Deleted
    I really don't understand this about animations, could someone explain to me? I've found the animations to be great so far, better than any of the other MMOs I've played. Retractable blade and Maul for example, have particularly good animations in my opinion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsuna View Post
    No it did remind me a lot about that game aswell, though I do believe the bosses had better motion and more "life" to them even in that game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ayashi View Post
    Precisely, 2002 i belive, right ?
    Though to be faire i haven't seen the cata 4.0 "open world raid bosses" for myself either.
    Mechanics, not Animations. And it was 2005 not 2002. Also, the Animations for combat aren't going to be like the scripted fights in God of War if that's what you're looking for, the animations are fine, sure they can be tweaked, but overall, they're standard for an MMO, if you want the fighting to look as good as it does in the CGI trailers, wait another 10+ years.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaperr View Post
    Mechanics, not Animations. And it was 2005 not 2002. Also, the Animations for combat aren't going to be like the scripted fights in God of War if that's what you're looking for, the animations are fine, sure they can be tweaked, but overall, they're standard for an MMO, if you want the fighting to look as good as it does in the CGI trailers, wait another 10+ years.
    The animations and fluidity of the bosses and combat in general is very low imo for a mmo if you compare it to other new mmo's, the game looks decent when nothing is moving but yeah, it just looks fake and no weight to it what so ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsuna View Post
    I thought that too. Although that's one of the things I loved about FFXI; force pop bosses that usually didn't involve any movement except for kiting. But I guess the "skill" came mainly from debuffing fast though.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

I think the main reason combat doesn't look as fluid as people like is because there is no auto-attack to fill in the space.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toralin View Post
    I thought that too. Although that's one of the things I loved about FFXI; force pop bosses that usually didn't involve any movement except for kiting. But I guess the "skill" came mainly from debuffing fast though.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

I think the main reason combat doesn't look as fluid as people like is because there is no auto-attack to fill in the space.
    I think most people know about that and have that in mind, I think it's more about the animations themselves, like those bosses and such, just very stiff and un-life like.

Last edited by mmoc16bbf64055; 2011-12-23 at 03:47 PM.