Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    Citation needed.
    From Illidan's wowpedia article:

During the Blizzcon 2010 World of Warcraft Quest and Lore Q&A panel, Chris Metzen was asked about the possibility of Illidan being revived or redeemed, and Metzen replied that it was something he would really like to do and that he is a sucker for a good redemption story.[12]

At the Blizzcon 2011 World of Warcraft Open Q&A panel, Metzen was again asked about reviving Illidan. He asked the crowd if it was something they would like to see, the crowd exploded and cheered in response, and he said they would work on it.[13] He later revisited the topic during the World of Warcraft Lore Q&A panel, after being asked about the dead bodies of important villains. Metzen indicated that based on fan reaction they would most likely bring Illidan back, and would have to decide on a way to revive him, noting that his corpse would be very significant.[13]
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    The real question is... why did we want Outland? What is Outland's strategic importance? We haven't returned since taking care of Illidan, right?
    I think the 90-95 expac needs to address this.
    The way I see it, outland has more land for them to control, as well as more resources(even if it is a broken world, look at nagrand/zangarmarsh, plenty of water to last them a long while).
    As well as if you had complete control of it, (assuming the dark portal being the only way in) defend it, and your enemy only has one way into your area.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    From Illidan's wowpedia article:
    Thank you for the source, I'm a bit lazy!

The real question is... why did we want Outland? What is Outland's strategic importance? We haven't returned since taking care of Illidan, right?
    I think the 90-95 expac needs to address this. If not 95-100.
    horde:

orcs: wanted to go back to their ancestors' home.
    blood elves: seeked the promised land by kael'thas (he only officially betrayed them on the sunwell patch)
    trolls: liked zangarmarsh, but didn't care much about outlands.
    forsaken and tauren: helped their allies.

alliance:

humans and dwarves: wanted to rescue those who got stuck in outlands after WC2.
    draenei: wanted to help the rest of their people who stayed in outlands.
    gnomes and night elves: helped their allies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    Yeah, thats true.

Blood Knights even drained the Light of Mu'ru and the Naaru still allied with the Horde...
    Wasn't there an RP event ingame that explained both A'dal and M'uru knew this was going to happen, and accepted it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya know, I have to wonder... why do we need to "revive" Illidan? We all thought he died back when he fought Arthas, but he ended up surviving.

Illidan Stormrage fell in the snow, dead, or so it seemed. He was badly wounded, but not killed.
    Isn't it highly possible that Illidan survived our assault on Black Temple, and only just? Could he perhaps be hiding out somewhere in Outland, secretly training an elite cadre of demon hunters, still paranoid about Kil'jaedan coming for him?

(hey look, I just found out how to get Demon Hunters as a playable class *and* bring back Illidan as a (sort of)good guy!)
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    horde:

orcs: wanted to go back to their ancestors' home.
    blood elves: seeked the promised land by kael'thas (he only officially betrayed them on the sunwell patch)
    just to add a citation for this:

http://www.wowpedia.org/Quest:The_Warchief%27s_Mandate

As you know, the warchief put his power behind this expedition for one reason. This is the world we came from. This is where our roots lie.

This journey means different things to orcs and blood elves. To them it's a search for the promised land. To us it's more like returning home.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Ranger_Captain_Venn%27ren

"Though we're arrived at the promised land, <name>, much work remains to be done. Our people won't reach Kael'thas if we lunge desperately across Outland.

Safe routes must be found, resources must be secured and our enemies must be avoided or destroyed."

Deleted
    Yeah, thats true.

Blood Knights even drained the Light of Mu'ru and the Naaru still allied with the Horde...
    Because Velen told the Naaru that it would mean the redemption of the Blood Elven race and dealing a huge blow on the Burning Legion's plans. After all, the Blood Knights did joined the Sha'tar.

Deleted
    Ya know, I have to wonder... why do we need to "revive" Illidan? We all thought he died back when he fought Arthas, but he ended up surviving.

Isn't it highly possible that Illidan survived our assault on Black Temple, and only just? Could he perhaps be hiding out somewhere in Outland, secretly training an elite cadre of demon hunters, still paranoid about Kil'jaedan coming for him?

(hey look, I just found out how to get Demon Hunters as a playable class *and* bring back Illidan as a (sort of)good guy!)
    It is true that he is one of the few bosses whose head we didn't take (Not that it stopped http://www.wowpedia.org/Brigitte_Abbendis, we've taken her head 2/3 times), and of course let's not forget we took Nefarian's/Onyxia's heads too in the past, whereas we simply left Illidan exhausted/beaten as he slumped upon the cold metal of the Black Temple. Perhaps he'll come back, it wouldn't surprise me, but I wouldn't expect it until a Burning Legion expansion, maybe/hopefully after this one.

Deleted
    With Maiev and Akama there? Two professional killers? Doubt it.

I think the 90-95 expac needs to address this. If not 95-100.
    Actually, it's the other way around.

During the pre-TBC event, it was the demons of Outland that re-activated the Dark Portal and came through. The Alliance and Horde tried their best to barricade it, but the demons wouldn't stop coming. Eventually, we pushed them back, and advanced into Outland.

When you arrive at the Stairs of Destiny, you will notice there is a giant battle going on. It's the very same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Demon Hunter -> Hunter -> Feign Death -> Totally believable/typical Blizzard plotline.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know, I'm going to put my money on the table saying maiev shadowsong took Illidans body when we defeated him revived him, and fell in love with him, who now works with him to try and kill Malfurion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
    Demon Hunter -> Hunter -> Feign Death -> Totally believable/typical Blizzard plotline.
    Demon Hunters aren't Hunters...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by personn5 View Post
    Wasn't there an RP event ingame that explained both A'dal and M'uru knew this was going to happen, and accepted it?
    Because Velen told the Naaru that it would mean the redemption of the Blood Elven race and dealing a huge blow on the Burning Legion's plans. After all, the Blood Knights did joined the Sha'tar.
    They did join the Shatar because KT moved Muru from Silvermoon to SWP, them losing the ability to use the Light. I doubt their incentive of joining the Naaru went over their own profit.

Well, sadly we dont know enought of the Naaru and what becomes of them if they turn into a Void Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Why did we kill Illidan? What were the reasons?

- Maiev
    - Akama
    - He was at war with Shattrath City

Maiev

Maiev had and always will have her own agenda, not to mention she's a little off the deep end in terms of sanity. She wanted to kill Illidan for the pain of guarding his prison (i.e. doing her job) for 10,000 years, and to get revenge for Naisha, who was indirectly killed by Illidan because of Maiev's own recklessness. What's more, she's a villain now according to the latest book.

Akama

Akama had more nobler reasons than Maiev, but in the grand scheme of things it was not the primary reason why we attacked Illidan. Akama was even worse off beforehand with Magtheridon ruling his stuff, when Illidan came and saved him, his situation was a vast improvement over the way things were before. That isn't to justify it by any means, but there are a ton of instances like this where the weak are oppressed, even in our own factions (Stormwind Masons anyone?), but rarely does it mean that we'll go raid that dude's place to kill the bad guy. If Akama was the only reason we wouldn't have gone after Illidan.

Shattrath City

Illidan had one goal on his mind: To build up an army and fight off the Burning Legion who was gunning for his !@#. He didn't give a damn about the Horde/Alliance, and quite frankly we all shared a common goal. The only quarrels that might have come up were due to the fact that we wanted to get to Outland for the strategic importance, and we were coming through portals to get there - portals that Illidan wanted sealed. So basically guerrilla warfare and the like.

However the real explanation for why we suit up and go after Illidan is because he waged war on Shattrath City instead of doing the sensible thing and joining forces. Kael'thas personally led the first assault with Illidan no where to be found, and they ended up losing (then the Blood Elves join the Horde/Scryers are formed). Shattrath City then launched a counter assault - which naturally makes sense - against Illidan's forces and they battled back and forth, but since Shattrath City was the main unifying "good guy" force in TBC, eventually the players raided his $%^- and killed him.

Here's the kicker, though.

In all likelihood, Illidan never ordered the initial assault at all and was just returning fire when Shattrath counter-attacked. It was Kael'thas, which unbeknownst to us at the time of 2.0/2.1, was working for the Burning Legion all along. The Burning Legion wanted Illidan dead before he could pose a threat, so what better way to do this than to sabotage him by launching a suicidal assault at Shattrath/Horde/Alliance, knowing that they would lose, and knowing that now the Scryers/Aldor/Horde/Alliance would go after Illidan. Kael'thas was acting in the best interests of what the Burning Legion wanted throughout the entire expansion, inevitably forcing Illidan into a war that he never wanted to begin with.

In all honesty this is the only way I can see it being a logical story. It just doesn't make sense any other way. As far as I'm concerned this is the official story and I'm going to stick my head in the sand at any point its suggested otherwise.

Deleted
    They did join the Shatar because KT moved Muru from Silvermoon to SWP, them losing the ability to use the Light. I doubt their incentive of joining the Naaru went over their own profit.
    So, you ignore the part that Velen told the Sha'tar what would happen just for argument's sake?

They didn't lost, they kept it and discovered that the Light never abandoned them in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    You know, I'm going to put my money on the table saying maiev shadowsong took Illidans body when we defeated him revived him, and fell in love with him, who now works with him to try and kill Malfurion.
    I've thought of something like that but less romantic.

she secretly spared his life and kept him controlled through the use of special poisons and drugs, using him as a secret killing weapon and an occasional pleasure tool for those lonely nights

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno. Maiev kinda wandered off all mopey about having no purpose (and is now pretty much confirmed to be a bad guy, from books, until we hear otherwise), and Akama... I dunno, I get the feeling he would have been pre-occupied with making sure the rest of the temple was secured, and assuming he was finally dead. He did look pretty dead, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Waff View Post
    I'm sorry for brining up something that happened so long ago, but i would just like to know why.

Everything was fine and dandy, he said he'd never return, then poof, we're in his castle and we killed him.

Never understood why.
    WoW/mmo = lore killer