Thread: Madness Bug?

Madness Bug?

So last night when my raid group was working on Madness, every single attempt at least one person would not get the buff to carry them to the next platform and would instead fall to their death where we couldn't brez them. I don't think it had anything to do with where they were jumping from though because we are all stacked before switching platforms, so we all jump from basically the same spot.

My co-raid leader mentioned that it was a known bug, but I was wondering if any of you have any idea what might cause this bug and how to possibly avoid it? It just really hurts to lose a person on this fight. Oh also not sure if it matters but I do 10 mans.

(also sorry if there is bad spelling/grammar anywhere, I am super sleepy and might have missed some thing ><)

speed increasing abilities sometimes do that

I have heard that it is either from using speed-boosting mechanisms (druid roar, sprint, ghost wolf, rocket boots), or from hitting the ramp at an angle instead of straight on, or from latency.

The two times I have died to it, I am fairly certain it was due to latency both times. I have never personally had an issue with it happening in ghost wolf or while approaching from odd angles.

My guild has the same prob. we run 25 man and id say 75% of the time, some1 falls to their death for no apparent reason. the guild master /raid leader says not to jump when ur crossing (although i do every time).The only time i have died crossing is when i was gripped by a priest then immediately tried to cross.

I've seen another topic not long ago, someone saying that in their 10m guild someone would always die from this. We're raiding 25 and although we had this happen on several occasions, it never happened every try.

Keep in mind that stuff like blink will increase the chance of not getting the air thingie.

Also, they said they are aware of it etc, the usual.

P.S. I never died from boosts or worgen speed buff at the jumping part.

Quote Originally Posted by Stankin View Post
    The only time i have died crossing is when i was gripped by a priest then immediately tried to cross.
    Are you in my guild?
    Last edited by Taianne; 2012-01-25 at 03:58 PM.

I've had it happen twice...once was on my rogue and i used sprint so there's definitely something to that speed boost theory. Other time was on my DK and it happened when i didn't hit jump in time and just "fell" off the side and the wind stream didn't catch me...don't know if that had anything to do with it (i know i've missed the jump since then and didn't die) but that's how it happened

I am almost positive that it is from latency. The people that this has occurred to in our raids all have horrible latency. Something similar also occurred when jumping into the lava pool into Sinestra's lair. This one person would keep dying to falling damage because the lava wouldn't load fast enough to land in.

Quote Originally Posted by Nocuous View Post
    I am almost positive that it is from latency. The people that this has occurred to in our raids all have horrible latency. Something similar also occurred when jumping into the lava pool into Sinestra's lair. This one person would keep dying to falling damage because the lava wouldn't load fast enough to land in.
    Reminds me of AQ20 and Buru

10+ Year Old Account
    I've has people die in my raids a couple of times from falling straight down, it was always the mage too. Come to find out he was just walking off of the platform instead of jumping. We told him to jump instead and boom, problem solved.

Also, as others have said, some abilities can cause you to plummet to your demise. Blink is almost guaranteed, have seen a fail heroic leap, and a priest trolled a jumper in LFR with lifegrip and had him die. I use sprint sometimes (with my rogue) and I've never died to the platform boss yet. Our druid tank uses roar as well with no deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by klimon View Post
    The two times I have died to it, I am fairly certain it was due to latency both times.
    On our last kill I fell down really low on my screen before the buff kicked in and lifted me up, so some weird latency could be an issue for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Stankin View Post
    the guild master /raid leader says not to jump when ur crossing (although i do every time).
    I've only ever died between platforms when not jumping. Never seen it happen when jumping. But anecdotes are anecdotes, so whatever.

Had this happen once to myself when jumping onto Kalecgos's platform. Probably had a lag spike because I just fell down and paused for a second on the water and then died.

My best solution to this is as other's have said don't use other movement speed increases. And if you are going from the far left to the far right, pause for just a second on the platform before Kalecgos.

Hmm... so I'll tell everyone to make sure they have no movement buffs on and to jump off the platforms instead of just running. Hopefully that will help.

Thanks everyone

it's the latency. the speed buffs just exacerbate it because you're moving faster than normal... We have 1 guy who has this issue frequently and he's the guy who chronically suffers from high latency. It happened to me once ever, it was in LFR the first time i was ever there and i fell into the water but didn't die and it happened at a moment when i had experienced some really rough lag.
    I can teach you how to play, but I can't fix stupid.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Before reading this thread, I was sure that jumping (your character) increases the chances for you to fall and die. I never jumped, never had a problem. I agree with what most people said above: don`t use blink/charge/disengage and similar mechanics, they will bug 90% of the time. It`s probably best to avoid speed boosts too.

Just wanted to say that at the beginning of the raid last night I told everyone to always jump off the platforms and to not use any speed increases, and no one fell to their deaths and we one shot him! SO thanks everybody \o/

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Just wanted to say that at the beginning of the raid last night I told everyone to always jump off the platforms and to not use any speed increases, and no one fell to their deaths and we one shot him! SO thanks everybody \o/
    Yes that was a solution for us aswell.
    After i told everyone to not use special crap (blink, intercept,...) and always always jump, noone died anymore.

The jump theory has something to do with latency and if you dont jump you fall in water and you dont get the buff, while if you jump you buy yourself some milliseconds and you get the buff before you hit the water. Weird but if it works...