Need advice to fix a S.Priests DPS.

Ok so I run a daytime raid group that is somewhere between hardcore and not and we have never evoked tough love with our raiders but we are recently 3/8 heroic and trying to progress. I have a weaker link that I want to help as I know he can do better. Below are my logs from a regular zonozz kill today which is a pretty brainless stand still and dps fight. I know there is scaling based on damage but that makes it even worse imo. Could an experienced shadow priest take a look at his dps and see if some advice can be given. I also listed his armory page for review.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...sshadow/simple
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/jh26j...s=9886&e=10087

Doesn't look to bad at first glance.
    Decent dot uptime, although it should be running in the 90's. I'm assuming the Mind Spikes (which shouldn't be used on this fight) cause him to re-apply the dots resulting in less dps. Mind Blast is not cast on cooldown, the total amount of MD's is 20 which in a 3.20 mins fight should be closer to 30. Which leads me to believe that he always waits to get an orb, which even with the new ways the T13 4p bonus increase orb gains results in a lower damage overall. That also explains the high uptime of Empowered Shadows. How often does he clip Mind Flay in order to recast dots?

It's not extremely bad per se but some things can be adjusted for sure

I guess my problem was with the increased damage on Zonozz he was still only pulling 37k (and this is regular mind you). He is 397 geared with his four set. I dont think he understands yet that he needs to clip mind flay as soon as MB is up and cast MB every single time it can be cast. Simcraft with it set to a heavy movement fight with his player level skill set to below average says he should still be doing at least 33k on a regular fight.
    Last edited by darkrook; 2012-02-16 at 10:46 AM.

Aye, it should higher. 37k isn't abysmal but it should be in the 40's. The biggest worry for me is Mind Spike in this fight. If it's normal, no adds come in to play so dots should have as close to 100% uptime as possible yet I see only 88-89% and casting Mind Spike completely counteracts this process.

Deleted
    Yeah the problem definitely seems to be around not clipping MF for MS on CD. Also using Mind spike seems abit odd on this fight (DoT uptime is lowish). U might wanna look at how he rotates Archangel in aswell. Shadowfiend uptime seems alright I guess. Just wondering, when did u guys use Bloodlust on the fight? As u propably know Shadowfiend benefits from BL only if its active when BL is triggered. But that's more or less cosmetic.

Still, it not terrible. But u can pull alot more DPS on this fight as shadow priest with that gear if u get it right

I assume hes not that noob, that he doesn't realize to, say, pop Volcanic pot and trinket before pull...

He has the t13 4p so he is supposed to switch to MS+MB rotation during fiend.
    Also you may want to direct him towards Kilee's guide at shadowpriest.com, it covers pretty much everything one needs to know about dpsing as Shadow.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karei View Post
    Aye, it should higher. 37k isn't abysmal but it should be in the 40's. The biggest worry for me is Mind Spike in this fight. If it's normal, no adds come in to play so dots should have as close to 100% uptime as possible yet I see only 88-89% and casting Mind Spike completely counteracts this process.
    You maybe should read up on that again, with the 4pc t13, a mind spike driven rotation when fiend is up does way more dps as a static rotation just as the poster above me stated.

You can read it all up here: Link

So who exactly is your mage giving Focus Magic to there? What pet is your hunter using? If he is using the wrong one you guys are screwing yourselves out of a valuable buff for your mage and priest and from your group comp it looks like nearly all other melee buffs are covered. I'll look more at the spriest's info to see if there is more to it, but you should look at those two things as well.

@Arlee
    The holy paladin had FM on that fight, which is a bit of a waste imo.

Does that hunter even use a pet? I don't see it on WoL. He should be using a wind serpent or a dragonhawk for +8% magic damage, since you already have all melee buffs. You're also missing 4% spell power and 5% crit, which your mage could provide if he was fire.

I compared his damage with mine from yesterday (click) and his spells just seem so weak. Granted I did have better buffs and some Tricks of the Trade, but that won't account for such a big difference. Also his Mind Flay uptime is very low, which means he's either doing nothing occasionally of he's refreshing his dots too much. Either way I think he could get some tips from Kilee's guide on this forum.

Eh... I guess giving the holy pally FM could be debatable but I personally wouldn't do it in my 10 man...

Anyways... his uptimes actually look pretty good to me, I think he is using the the MB/MS rotations (which he should be using on this fight) but it might be a question of when he is using it. I know I generally see the best return on using it during the phases where Zonz is taking more damage. Basically I would say have a convo with him about when he is using MB/MS. If you guys are getting him to the third black phase with barely any health left/not getting a third one/using heroism during the third it would probably be better for him to use MB/MS at the beginning and during the second one (instead of first and third).

Definitely make sure the hunter always has either a Wind Serpent or a Dragonhawk out (it actually does make a big difference) and I'd at least consider giving the spriest FM.

---------- Post added 2012-02-16 at 10:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xorz View Post
    I compared his damage with mine from yesterday (click) and his spells just seem so weak. Granted I did have better buffs and some Tricks of the Trade, but that won't account for such a big difference. Also his Mind Flay uptime is very low, which means he's either doing nothing occasionally of he's refreshing his dots too much. Either way I think he could get some tips from Kilee's guide on this forum.
    I think the main reasons for your spells being stronger is you have the Will of Unbinding trinket, you have a totemic wrath buff, getting tricks is definitely nice, and Elemental oath. The only thing that darkrook's spriest had that you didn't is Arcane Tactics... and it just doesn't stack up to all those things.

Also taking a look at the link Xorz linked, the other priest also didn't sw: d nearly enough.