Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    That's relative speed, not actual speed. If two objects were to travel away from each other at the speed of light, they would each see the other traveling at twice the speed of light.

As far as we know, nothing goes faster than the speed of light measured against a fixed point.
    Everything is relative. Also, if two objects were to travel away from each other at the speed of light, they wouldn't be able to "see" the other at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    Then I move that we vote to increase the speed of light.
    I second this notion.

Quote Originally Posted by Davaeorn View Post
    Everything is relative. Also, if two objects were to travel away from each other at the speed of light, they wouldn't be able to "see" the other at all.
    If you were to stand still, then you would not be moving relative to the ground. Also, you either missed the point or you're being a smart-ass with the second comment. Whether or not two objects moving away from each other at the speed of light can "see" each other is completely irrelevant. All that matters is that they will be traveling twice the speed of light relative to each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Well this was silly to begin with. People started spewing all the broken physics that would follow the result. Nothing can travel faster than light.
    It is theorized that nothing could travel faster than light. And before everyone starts ridiculing OPERA, remember that they checked all their monitoring equipment and requested peer reviews and that another lab that could do this (I believe there are 3 others in the world) to try it and see what happens. They correctly followed scientific procedure. It was the media who blew it out of proportion, as they always do.

It's a conspiracy! Neutrinos CAN move faster than light. The Bilderberg group simply wants us, the simple folk, to stay beneath the measly 300k km/second!

10+ Year Old Account
    They should have known they'd get pulled over eventually.
    Putin khuliyo

Nothing can travel faster than light.
    Wrong. Nothing can accelerate TO the speed of light. If a particle is created at sub-luminal speeds it can't travel faster than light. If a particle is created at super-luminal speeds it can't travel slower than the speed of light. Theories already account for the possibility of superluminal neutrinos, this would have been evidence of that theory and not of Einstein having been incorrect.

EDIT:
    ^^^ Bad interpretations of relativity should be against forum rules IMO.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2012-02-23 at 05:34 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pahya View Post
    200 years ago physicans said its imposible to generate ultraviolet light-rays because u need endless amounts of energy.

nowadays they say nothing can be faster then light .. or fast as light because u need endless amounts of energy...
    Ouch. Learn your science before you talk embarassing nonsense like that. "Ultraviolet catastrophy" was but a flaw in the classical theory of light which led to the development of quantum physics. It was discussed about 100 years ago, not 200. And it has little connection to actual UV radiation, discovered experimentally, and never "thought to be impossible".

Deleted
    If you were to stand still, then you would not be moving relative to the ground. Also, you either missed the point or you're being a smart-ass with the second comment. Whether or not two objects moving away from each other at the speed of light can "see" each other is completely irrelevant. All that matters is that they will be traveling twice the speed of light relative to each other.
    No, it doesn't work like that. You can't simply add speeds in Special Relativity. The comment of "seeing" is not "smart-ass" but an important consideration. But it's enough if you take two objects moving at 99% of c, moving in opposite directions to your fixed point. Then the relative speed of one object from the point of the other is not 198%*c, but something like 99,5% of c.

edit: Oops, just calculated it and was way off. Make that 99,995%*c
    Last edited by mmocc8f75f3691; 2012-02-23 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    The impulse of electricity
    Electrical impulses do not travel faster than light.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Well that's too bad. I was kind of hoping we'd open up new mysteries in the universe.
    Not happening as long as academia is milking the current Standard Model. With that many jobs on the line, the welfare tears will be enormous if we actually did find something totally new (or if not new, an alternative theory).

---------- Post added 2012-02-23 at 02:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by JonTargaryen View Post
    Electrical impulses do not travel faster than light.
    :Shakes head:
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Not happening as long as academia is milking the current Standard Model. With that many jobs on the line, the welfare tears will be enormous if we actually did find something totally new (or if not new, an alternative theory).[COLOR="red"]
    Now here I would think that solid experimental evidence for a violation or even an extension of the Standard Model would spark new interest and help give theoretical and experimental physicists more funding and rather secure than endanger their jobs.
    :Shakes head:
    Care to elaborate?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well this was silly to begin with. People started spewing all the broken physics that would follow the result. Nothing can travel faster than light.
    Don't be so sure. We used to say similar things about flight and space travel. If i went back even further i could name even more things that were once believed to be absolute but have since been proven false. Thus i tend to take the view that nothing is impossible merely improbable.

---------- Post added 2012-02-23 at 08:22 AM ----------

I remember all the people who championed this result when it came and treated us skeptics as sore losers. Sucks to be them.
    Not really. Were wrong this time doesn't mean we were wrong overall.

---------- Post added 2012-02-23 at 08:35 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Its asinine to always point out how stuff used to be "impossible" back then it wasnt based on facts and emperical evidence and that which was was faulty because they didnt have the equipment they needed to make the right assumptions - furthermore one can point to ancient greek math - we still use it. Why? Because it was based on things they had access to. Logic, reasoning, numbers, geometry - there is nothing that is hidden from view when it comes to that
    I think you're kinda missing the point here. The overall point at least that i try to make is that throughout history we have believed our current knowledge to be the best/absolute yet we have a history of being proven wrong when we believe ourselves to be right. I for one try and learn from that history. Aside from that however it's also just not fun to believe in finites.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    i agree!

increase the speedlimit nao!
    I vote we call this new speed, Ludicrous Speed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

Quote Originally Posted by olianda View Post
    i vote we call this new speed, ludicrous speed!

LUUUUUUUDDDDICROUUSSS Speed!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurax View Post
    Ouch. Learn your science before you talk embarassing nonsense like that. "Ultraviolet catastrophy" was but a flaw in the classical theory of light which led to the development of quantum physics. It was discussed about 100 years ago, not 200. And it has little connection to actual UV radiation, discovered experimentally, and never "thought to be impossible".
    Which also shows that our knowledge is ever expanding inculding our thoughts on how the universe works. If anything i think you proved his overall point while disproving his scenario for assertion of said point.

---------- Post added 2012-02-23 at 08:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    LUUUUUUUDDDDICROUUSSS Speed!
    Smoke em if ya got em. Though it occurs to me now it would be funny if FTL tech really did make you go plad.

Conspiracy theory: They DID break the speed of light barrier. Military/government/MiB stepped in and took all research results. To cut speculations they forged a mundane reason: bad cable connection. Plain, simple, plausible. End of story.

Meantime in some top secret facility they stored research results as Breaking Speed of Light Confirmation Proof No. 7...

Deleted
    People in this topic probably don't realise it but basicly all of the arguments here are irrelevant. You confuse something theoretically impossible with something that was once never thought of or something that was originally thought to be hard to practically implement.

Quote Originally Posted by RadmaKanow View Post
    Conspiracy theory: They DID break the speed of light barrier. Military/government/MiB stepped in and took all research results. To cut speculations they forged a mundane reason: bad cable connection. Plain, simple, plausible. End of story.

Meantime in some top secret facility they stored research results as Breaking Speed of Light Confirmation Proof No. 7...
    It's all a plot to overthrow the human race and install cows as our supreme overlords.

Quote Originally Posted by Idontlikeyou View Post
    Right, but you are bounding yourself to these laws. To deny the impossible keeps you grounded. That's cool. I am not depending on you to discover/invent anything. But there are people every day that are working to push what we know further. If we stuck to your style of thinking, we wouldn't advance.

I am not arguing the fact that nothing can travel faster than light. I am just stating its better to actually keep an open mind. You honestly cant say you know how the universe runs.

But then I have to ask, suppose that the neutrinos were proven to travel faster than light. What then? Your argument falls apart. Given, it was proven they did not, so where does that leave my part of the argument?

That sucks, it would of been cool if it would of been true. I wonder what we could of done with that knowledge.
    If they were proven to travel faster than light then i would let the scientists discover what was the case - I already heard a theory where it was moving through another dimension that wasnt curved by gravity so the distance was shorter etc