Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

The new Intel Ivy Bridge hits 7.0 GHz OC

don`t know if this has all ready been posted.

the new Intel Ivy Bridge Core i7-3770K has hit 7 GHz OC on dry ice

so this is looking realy nice for the new line of Ivy Bridge cpu`s

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...overclock.aspx
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

15+ Year Old Account
    1.889 Volts damn....but I think they did mess with the blck...
    Last edited by apepi; 2012-03-02 at 01:25 PM.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    Pentium 4 got up to 8ghz OC. Been on dry ice/phase cooling really shows nothing. Now if someone would release a OC on air/water cooling

Quote Originally Posted by razorback07 View Post
    Pentium 4 got up to 8ghz OC. Been on dry ice/phase cooling really shows nothing. Now if someone would release a OC on air/water cooling
    Pentium with only 1 core. This is on all 4 cores.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaqur View Post
    Pentium with only 1 core. This is on all 4 cores.
    Makes no different to a consumer at all. The old i7 2600k hit 5.7ghz (source) on air. Couldn't find a link to a phase cooled i7 2600k. A consumer such as ourselves are not going to get close to 7ghz. 5ghz on air and i will be happy but as proven, people are doing this already. Then again, clock speeds aren't even half the story.
    Last edited by mmoca8c3a8c487; 2012-03-02 at 02:08 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Makes no different to a consumer at all. The old i7 2600k hit 5.7ghz (source) on air. Couldn't find a link to a phase cooled i7 2600k. A consumer such as ourselves are not going to get close to 7ghz. 5ghz on air and i will be happy but as proven, people are doing this already. Then again, clock speeds aren't even half the story.
    It has mostly no use in reality but it's a good indication that the die shrink handles overclocking better compared to sandy. i5's and i7's are limited, like you said, at 5.5-6.0GHz area, no matter what kind of cooling you used as it has nothing to do with the temperatures. You could literally freeze them to absolute zero and it'd make no difference.

Now these news look promising as it'd mean that the regular consumer could potentially bring the chip much higher than 5.7GHz with high end air/ liquid cooling. I'm excited, at least .

You could literally freeze them to absolute zero and it'd make no difference.
    [nitpicking]Freezing them to 0K would make them not do anything, as the electrons would cease to move around the circuitry[/nitpicking]

I am looking forwards to an air/water OC though, as this can then be put up against what we, as the general consumers, will be able to expect.

Then again, clock speeds aren't even half the story.
    This; it doesn't matter how high an OC'er gets the processor on an exotic cooling method. In the end the thing we wanna see is how it'll do in consumer benchmarks and games.

AMD got Bulldozer FX to 8GHz+ and it didn't mean a lot after the reviewers got their hands on it to see just how underwhelming it was.
    3930K . RIVE . 2x 7970 . Cosmos II . AX1200 . 3x Dell U2312hm
    Computer Setup / DH / huntard

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log
    [nitpicking]Freezing them to 0K would make them not do anything, as the electrons would cease to move around the circuitry[/nitpicking]

I am looking forwards to an air/water OC though, as this can then be put up against what we, as the general consumers, will be able to expect.
    Heh.
    [nitpickingaboutyournitpicking]Absolute zero is merely theoritical. It cannot even be reached in real word.[/nitpickingaboutyournitpicking]

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristie View Post
    AMD got Bulldozer FX to 8GHz+ and it didn't mean a lot after the reviewers got their hands on it to see just how underwhelming it was.
    Correct, but the Bulldozer had several cores disables.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    the news is up on a danish hardware site now and they have pictures of benchmarks to with the 7 GHz oc......... don`t know why the first site din`t have any bench pictures.

the site is in danish, but just take a look at the bench picture. its a super PI bench

http://hwt.dk/Nyhed/22062/Ivy-Bridge-viser-taender
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kailtas View Post
    Correct, but the Bulldozer had several cores disables.
    It. does. not. matter. I fully expect Ivy Bridge to be overclockable to 5.5GHz under 1.4V on water for benching purposes, but even then not every chip will be capable of it. The 3770K's clockspeed indicates to me that overclocking Ivy Bridge won't be that much better than Sandy Bridge.
    Last edited by kidsafe; 2012-03-03 at 12:00 AM.

What it gets to on a typical consumer cooling system, and how it benchmarks out is more important.
    A real world example tells you a lot more than that ever will.

Not to mention seeing the actual performance of the darn things.

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems they eliminated the cold bug that plagues Sandybridge which is good I guess but yeah.. I'd rather see real world and practical use overclocks than extreme.

How much will it be, and will it be worth upgrading from my i7 950 OC'd on air to 3.7

Looking for a casual weekend raiding guild - pref AU times for working people><

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooricy View Post
    How much will it be, and will it be worth upgrading from my i7 950 OC'd on air to 3.7
    The best time to upgrade was in January of last year when Sandy Bridge first came out. I do not believe Ivy Bridge will manifest as a considerable leap in performance for the enthusiast crowd. Ivy Bridge's strengths are in its lower/configurable TDP and the beefed up integrated graphics. Then again if you feel the itch to upgrade now, then Ivy Bridge is the obvious choice. Without competition from AMD, there's no telling whether Intel's next-generation Haswell micro-architecture will ship in early 2013.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    The best time to upgrade was in January of last year when Sandy Bridge first came out. I do not believe Ivy Bridge will manifest as a considerable leap in performance for the enthusiast crowd. Ivy Bridge's strengths are in its lower/configurable TDP and the beefed up integrated graphics. Then again if you feel the itch to upgrade now, then Ivy Bridge is the obvious choice. Without competition from AMD, there's no telling whether Intel's next-generation Haswell micro-architecture will ship in early 2013.
    Eh, I think if you already had a decent Gulftown CPU, it was okay to stick with it, but Ivy Bridge I think, if it is the way we suspect, should be a reason to upgrade.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Eh, I think if you already had a decent Gulftown CPU, it was okay to stick with it, but Ivy Bridge I think, if it is the way we suspect, should be a reason to upgrade.
    Sure, I tend to stick with a CPU/mainboard combo for much longer than that. I went from Q6600 to i7-2600K because Intel happened to release Nehalem with X58/LGA1366 first instead of the mainstream parts. So by the time P55/LGA1156 rolled around I was already anticipating Sandy Bridge. With Intel, my upgrade schedule also coincides with the Tick-Tock model. I almost always upgrade on the Tock / new micro-architecture rather than the tick (die shrink). This lends itself to teething problems and potential issues with chip/chipset errata, but you do get all the architectural advances as early as possible.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    E5200 to 2500K. Beat that. ;p
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water