Poll: Do you think people should be able to buy junk food with food stamps?

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aztr0 View Post
    when they whip out the welfare food stamps at the groceries... that's just sickening.
    I'm disgusted too. Specifically the part where you just belittled me and my family. Fuck off you intolerant cock sucker.

[Infracted]

for the love of god, people should be able to decide whatever they want.

Dictating what people should eat, breath and drink is just crazy!

If people eat crap its there own fault they turn to crap.

But infringing peoples rights is something we should NEVER accept.
    Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.

Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Quote Originally Posted by moguri View Post
    They should just starve. This is America not Europe and capitalism works here for a reason. If they can't find work then we need to let them figure something out, not give out free handouts. If they're well-fed they won't be as inclined to go out and get a job... they need the literal hunger as much as the figurative.
    Oh God, have you got everything wrong. I suggest you read up on US History, mainly the 1933's and on, and educate yourself about what's actually happening.

I'm on foodstamps, and by no means do I spend my money on prime rib, etc. but I still regularly buy soda, chips, etc. Just because I'm on foodstamps doesn't mean I need to completely limit myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    They should just starve. This is America not Europe and capitalism works here for a reason. If they can't find work then we need to let them figure something out, not give out free handouts. If they're well-fed they won't be as inclined to go out and get a job... they need the literal hunger as much as the figurative.
    Yes, just let the poor starve to death.

That clearly worked in the thousands of years before food stamps.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Spend your taxes on junk food, is that it? dont get me started on british taxes and where they go.. not to mention the stupidly high amount its at.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't say I agree with you there because there are plenty of people out there who are actively searching for work and are just unable to find it due to the economy being in the crapper. I was unemployed two years ago and it took me 4 1/2 months to find something and that was with me out every single day searching. So no we don't need to let people starve, we just need to fix th way people gain access to the benefits.
    "I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am the protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Maruii View Post
    for the love of god, people should be able to decide whatever they want.

Dictating what people should eat, breath and drink is just crazy!

If people eat crap its there own fault they turn to crap.

But infringing peoples rights is something we should NEVER accept.
    I would agree with you if this were their own money and not the public's money. Therefore any taxpayer should get a say in it. And if they want to eat junk food on their own dime, hell if I care.

Deleted
    dosnt matter what you do, there will be a way a shop will work around it if it earns them some money.

I want my junk food!
    here that big fat bag of doritos is marked as a healthy apple...

untill you have every single item of food tagged and monitored by a central computer system which verifies who the purchesser is, and what there purchessing is labeled as what it actually is, then it will not work. if you where to have such a system in place you would scream that it was an infringement on civil liberties, or invasion of privacy.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is America not Europe and capitalism works here for a reason. If they can't find work then we need to let them figure something out, not give out free handouts. If they're well-fed they won't be as inclined to go out and get a job... they need the literal hunger as much as the figurative.
    You my friend, are a terrible person and obviously live an easy life, shit happens, son. Contrary to popular belief welfare doesn't suddenly allow you to live the good life, I own one pair of shoes that is worn out beyond belief, my car is falling apart and cannot afford to fix them, I own hardly any clothes and am between jobs because I was fired for holding myself to standards too high for the company.

I had to swallow my pride and apply for foodstamps just so we could afford to stay where we are, I cannot move back home because of a bad family history so until I finally get a job back in, I will continue to use foodstamps, I am not gaming the system, I am using it as it is intended.

Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    Oh God, have you got everything wrong. I suggest you read up on US History, mainly the 1933's and on, and educate yourself about what's actually happening.

I'm on foodstamps, and by no means do I spend my money on prime rib, etc. but I still regularly buy soda, chips, etc. Just because I'm on foodstamps doesn't mean I need to completely limit myself.
    be lucky you don't live in canada cause then you don't get jack squat and starve.

15+ Year Old Account
    Totally agree. Food stamps should be reserved for actual groceries and usable only at actual grocery stores, not gas stations. If you want to get a 20oz soda there with the rest of your groceries fine, but food stamps shouldn't be providing you with convenience shopping. Michigan has a had a situation for years where a huge amount of college age kids would be on food stamps (the Bridge Card) so they could get groceries for free and use their own money for beer. Great system tons of kids abused for years until the state finally caught on that not every single college student needs food aide. I knew a couple upper middle class kids who had really well of families that were on the Bridge Card claiming to be on their own so they could pocket all the money their parents gave them for food.

Food aide should be reserved for those in need. Go to Walmart and you are bound to see someone using food stamps that also has a brand new tv, bluray player, etc. in their cart. Hell there are tons of people that trade their food stamp dollars for actual money at a severely discounted rate to buy alcohol and drugs. It is impossible to prevent all abuse of government assistance, but they should really put more effort into controlling it and giving it to those that actually need the help.

Another fun Michigan story, a guy won a massive lottery a couple years ago, over $300 million iirc, and was still able to stay on his food stamps because the system only considers income, not liquid assets. So because he didn't have a job, he was able to get all his food paid for by the taxpayers.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-03-06 at 12:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you stand in the grocery line and watch someone make a purchase with food stamps, I want you to step back for a second and realize that you have absolutely no clue what this persons story is.

They're buying a bag of chips? Maybe they're at the end of the month, out of stamps, and lets face it chips are cheaper than carrots these days. They have the choice of eating healthy for 2 days or actually having anything on the plate to finish out the week.

They're buying steaks/shrimp? Did we just complain about junk food? Lean steak and shrimp are excellent healthy foods to have from time to time.

They're buying some sodas? Maybe it's their kids birthday and they'd like to have something a little special for their big day.

She's driving an expensive car? Maybe her husband just died and that car is paid off. Would you rather her sell it and start making payments on something that she can't rely on to get her to her 3 jobs?

You do not know what their life is, so stop judging. Are they're abusers in the system? Absolutely, but you are not their case worker so turn your head and live your own life.

Project Troll Roll | Signature Requests: Open

I think the government should enforce strict laws preventing creepy weirdos from skulking about grocery stores and gas stations watching what people buy all day.

How long do you assume $200-300 dollars worth of food stamps will last if it's only restricted to "healthy", and typically more expensive food. Or should to poor perhaps only be allowed to purchase white bread and gruel? Junk food, more often than not, is affordable. The original anecdote has more to do with the Jag than the junk food, unless you're genuinely angered by someone spending five whole dollars of YOUR(though most people seem to forget that poor people pay taxes too) tax dollars. Mind your business at the register, and stop being a self righteous creep.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who cares? They are getting food stamps to survive. If they're stupid enough to just buy junk food with it, that's their own problem.

My best friend was like this when I met him. He was unemployed, and getting something like $300 in food stamps every month. What did he do with it? Bought capri suns, caramel apple suckers, and all sorts of other junk food. Then he'd complain about not being able to eat. I spent a small fortune on that kid keeping him fed. I eventually cut him off, and he eventually stopped buying the junk food and getting real food.

I myself was on food stamps for about 7 months, until my paycheck got too large and they cut me off. I was getting a whopping $16 a month lol. I used it to buy the necessities, like milk, eggs, butter. Other than that, I'd have pocket change left on it, and would use it to buy a soda or something. Sure, I didn't NEED the stamps to survive, but they were pretty damned handy.

Alas, I'm getting off track. People will get food stamps whether you like what they get with them or not. It's not your business. They have already severely restricted what you can and can't get with food stamps, I don't think restricting it any more would accomplish a whole lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

This is America not Europe and capitalism works here for a reason. If they can't find work then we need to let them figure something out, not give out free handouts. If they're well-fed they won't be as inclined to go out and get a job... they need the literal hunger as much as the figurative.
    Interesting thing about capitalism. In a minimum wage based environment, Capatalism actually PREVENTS the widespread availability of "low paying" jobs that might allow some of the nominally poor / unemployed to actually earn enough money to provide basic necessities.

See, when there is a minimum wage limit in effect, it prevents companies from creating jobs if the job in question is valued at less then it would cost them to pay you to do it. Essentially, if a Capitalist Company looks at a possible job and says "This job is only worth 6 bucks, but I would be forced to pay a minumum wage of 7 to anyone i hired to do it" then they will simply do away with the job (usually folding it into some other job position they already have) rather then lose money getting it done as it's own job.

Rampant Unchecked American Capatalism is responsable for more bad things in the American Economy then it ever has been responsable for good things.

Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    dosnt matter what you do, there will be a way a shop will work around it if it earns them some money.

I want my junk food!
    here that big fat bag of doritos is marked as a healthy apple...

untill you have every single item of food tagged and monitored by a central computer system which verifies who the purchesser is, and what there purchessing is labeled as what it actually is, then it will not work. if you where to have such a system in place you would scream that it was an infringement on civil liberties, or invasion of privacy.
    Actually an easy way to do this would be for supermarkets to tag each UPC as Ebt/Foodstamp eligible or ineligible. Once the person goes to pay with ebt, the computer would knock off all the eligible items and make them pay the difference for anything ineligible. Its rather simply really. Although it probably will never happen. I imagine one reason why supermarkets probably aren't big on wanting stricter food stamp guild lines is because it might lead to an increase in shoplifting for ineligible items.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think home visits should be mandatory and unannounced in order to see who is and isn't really in need. Let the case worker walk in on you with a 55' TV, alcohol in your fridge/freezer, and 3 extra people living there (2 of which are also on food stamps) and see if you get to keep your benefits then. That would cut down on the amount of people abusing the system and save loads of money in the long term. Also the drug testing thing I agree with as well. Soooo many people use the food stamps to trade for drugs. It's those people that ruin things in the end for the people who really need them.
    "I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am the protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Interesting thing about capitalism. In a minimum wage based environment, Capatalism actually PREVENTS the widespread availability of "low paying" jobs that might allow some of the nominally poor / unemployed to actually earn enough money to provide basic necessities.

See, when there is a minimum wage limit in effect, it prevents companies from creating jobs if the job in question is valued at less then it would cost them to pay you to do it. Essentially, if a Capitalist Company looks at a possible job and says "This job is only worth 6 bucks, but I would be forced to pay a minumum wage of 7 to anyone i hired to do it" then they will simply do away with the job (usually folding it into some other job position they already have) rather then lose money getting it done as it's own job.

Rampant Unchecked American Capatalism is responsable for more bad things in the American Economy then it ever has been responsable for good things.
    So your answer is to take money from people who work hard for a living and give it to people who don't contribute to society at all? If someone doesn't have a job and we provide them with money to eat and live (HUD housing) then what incentive do they have to be creative and actually carve out a niche for themselves? We're creating an entire class dependent on the government for food and housing, whereas in this economy we should be encouraging people to think outside the box and create wealth for themselves on their own, society would be much better in 20 years this way.

I don't think a food stamp type program should exist (unless maybe its for children). If you're an adult without kids you shouldn't be getting free handouts if you can work.

I find it funny how so many people are convinced that everyone who is poor is either addicted to narcotics or completely retarded. Most of these people don't need assistance because of any fault of their own, If you know anything about the world you should know that sometimes life just fucks you over and it can happen to a competent person as well as an irresponsible parasitic one. Anyway, let them buy their junk food, you can probably fit in more calories/dollar that way too lol..., there are worse problems in this world than poor people buying beef jerky

Quote Originally Posted by shootyadead View Post
    I think home visits should be mandatory and unannounced in order to see who is and isn't really in need. Let the case worker walk in on you with a 55' TV, alcohol in your fridge/freezer, and 3 extra people living there (2 of which are also on food stamps) and see if you get to keep your benefits then. That would cut down on the amount of people abusing the system and save loads of money in the long term. Also the drug testing thing I agree with as well. Soooo many people use the food stamps to trade for drugs. It's those people that ruin things in the end for the people who really need them.
    This is like a liberal's paradise huh? Instead of a police state we should just do away with the program altogether so people can't abuse it. You'd really rather have a nazi-like state where the government is randomly "checking in" on people, rather than just do away with food stamps altogether? Liberals never cease to amaze me.