Well, my 2500k is getting a bit old. Isn't Haswell rumored to be like 25-40% faster than IB? Considering IB is 4-8% faster than SB, it seems like a worthwhile upgrade.
    System Specs -
    CPU - i5 2500k @ 5ghz | CPU Cooler - RASA RX240 | Motherboard - Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3| GPU - Nvidia GTX 590|
    SSD - Crucial M4 128GB | RAM - 8GB Corsair Vengeance | PSU - Corsair TX850M | Case - CoolerMaster HAF 922
    | Monitor - Crossover 27Q (2560x1440) | Sidewinder X4 Keyboard |

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    Whatever are you doing with your PC that an i5 2500K with a 36% overclock cannot muster? :P
    I can't throw anything at my i5 760 that really comes down to the CPU being the limiting factor.
    Or is this just a "I want something new" rather than "I need something new"?

The only reason I'm getting haswell whatsoever, is that my motherboard is holding me back. Switching motherboard within 1156 doesn't seem that worthwile, with the limited supply.

Mainly looking for an upgrade. ( and possibly a chip that doesn't require 1.372v for 4.5ghz :< )
    Last edited by Nab; 2012-10-10 at 06:02 PM.
    System Specs -
    CPU - i5 2500k @ 5ghz | CPU Cooler - RASA RX240 | Motherboard - Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3| GPU - Nvidia GTX 590|
    SSD - Crucial M4 128GB | RAM - 8GB Corsair Vengeance | PSU - Corsair TX850M | Case - CoolerMaster HAF 922

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    (: I know that feeling. 3.8GHz 1.216vCore, 4.0 GHz and beyond 1.39vCore.

However, I would personally get a new case if I were you, in the mATX formfactor. Like an Arc Midi, Silverstone TJ08E or similiar.
    Or a 2560x1440 monitor.
    If you don't intend to run dual graphics cards or plenty-plenty expansion cards, mATX is such a fun environment to build in, and keep around.
    Last edited by tetrisGOAT; 2012-10-10 at 06:10 PM. Reason: forgot a number, brilliant.

I actually want to replace this case, it's decent. but lacking a-lot. Cable management is horrible and it's not even painted on the inside. Not to mention that it doesn't even have a 2.5" SSD bay...

As to a 2560x1440p monitor. I play a-lot of First person shooters, the 120hz is a day and night difference. I'm just waiting for 1440p 120hz monitors, too bad they don't sell 2B Catleaps anymore.
    System Specs -

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    I'd be more of a fan of 120Hz monitors if the FPS games of today were faster-paced. I'm not saying there's no difference, as it is noticable, but not noticable enough for me to pass on the good image.
    I want a new Quake/Unreal Tournament game.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    (: I know that feeling. 3.8GHz 1.216vCore, 4.0 GHz and beyond 1.39vCore.

However, I would personally get a new case if I were you, in the mATX formfactor. Like an Arc Midi, Silverstone TJ08E or similiar.
    Or a 2560x1440 monitor.
    If you don't intend to run dual graphics cards or plenty-plenty expansion cards, mATX is such a fun environment to build in, and keep around.
    My next pc will be an mITX computer.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    My next pc will be an mITX computer.
    Perhaps for me as well, especially if the trend continues with energy-efficient GPUs. It depends a bit on what kind of performance you can squeeze into the form factor (and to an extent how much you can run off a 150W picoPSU).

My attempts at sleeving continues:

I dunno, but you can fit pretty much any current dual slot GPU in a bitfenix prodigy or silverstone FT03.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I dunno, but you can fit pretty much any current dual slot GPU in a bitfenix prodigy or silverstone FT03.
    Both are too big. I want it to be smaller. Way smaller. With a raiser card you could essentially fit a (single-slot) GTX 670 in a Streacom F1C with a bit of modification. Not saying that's the route I intend to go, but the thought of having an enclosure around 25 x 25 x 15 house a high-end (or relatively high-end) gaming build is intriguing. Today it will barely fit, but in two years or so... maybe.

Perhaps with liberal use of 90°/U-turn piping one could water-cool the gpu in a small enclosure, perhaps with an external radiator? Would eliminate the need for bulky graphics card coolers.

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    I agree that the prodigy is big. I also think that, and have thought since i first heard of HTPC that it's an interesting concept and thought what else can be done.
    Do i think you can make a full scale gaming rig the way we think of them today? I don't. At least not that i would want. I still want non gpu expansion slots.
    Can i see one be used, by me, for light to middle gaming? Yes. And i still think apus are the future. So that can work out well for me.
    I would still want a big screen, but i would not mind, say, the mentioned streacom, single ssd and networked storage. Or a bigger one with potentially a full gpu, but not as exciting, and kind of defeats the purpose and becomes an awkward middle ground between mATX and mITX.

For me, that is..
    Any mistakes i made above,i blame on my phone; I'm not an experienced phone typist..

Holy shitballs, this almost makes me want a new piece of hardware....almost: http://promotions.newegg.com/Intel/1...c=SNC-Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Both are too big. I want it to be smaller. Way smaller. With a raiser card you could essentially fit a (single-slot) GTX 670 in a Streacom F1C with a bit of modification. Not saying that's the route I intend to go, but the thought of having an enclosure around 25 x 25 x 15 house a high-end (or relatively high-end) gaming build is intriguing. Today it will barely fit, but in two years or so... maybe.
    ...What powersupply does it use anyway? I was going to remark that it has an internal powersupply, but komplett.no claims otherwise, and I cannot find any generally useful information.

User Manual says a "nano-PSU"

See page 5/8 of http://www.streacom.com/downloads/ug/f1c.pdf

Toying around with RAMdisks...

... if only we could install Windows onto something with those numbers Right now I just have Minecraft (both the exe and the appdata) installed onto it, and it actually works quite nicely... I don't get any random chunk load delays when running around the map like I did occasionally after they changed single player to work as a server internally. Now to think of other things to try putting on it
    Last edited by Adappy; 2012-10-12 at 11:22 AM.

Malthanis linked me to this imgur album, pretty sweet build, although I'm not sure I'd like sitting on the floor to game. :P

http://imgur.com/a/2m0EV

Mechagnome
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Malthanis linked me to this imgur album, pretty sweet build, although I'm not sure I'd like sitting on the floor to game. :P

http://imgur.com/a/2m0EV
    Seen that one on reddit aswell, the fan placement is kinda weird imo... Right next to your keyboard.
    CPU: I5 2500K @4.5ghz (1.285v), CPU cooler: Corsair H100 push/pull GPU: MSI R7970 Lightning @1200Mhz, Case: Corsair 650D, Ram: 16GB Corsair vengeance, Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, PSU: Corsair TX650M, SSD: Samsung 830 128GB, HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB SPU: Xonar Essence STX

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    It's an intake fan, though. Meaning it won't exhaust hot air over your hands. Which, considering that it's below freezing outside, would be cosy.

GPU's are shrinking even as they get more powerful. My old 6870 is larger then my 7850 and the latter is more powerful and has more memory, both run dual fans too. Of course, that is as much the manufacturer's design of the PCB and cooler, but most 6870's were longer overall then the 7850's. I would assume that as we improve PCB design and shrinking the GPU die while getting smaller manufacturing processes in regards to transistors and whatnot, you might some day see cards as powerful as a 7970 at half their current size. It's all a matter of how much they can fit on a PCB, however I'd be curious to see whether AMD or Nvidia attempts to revamp the process and make smaller PCB's while providing ever improving performance.

Edit: On the topic of GPU's, has anyone ever used this cooler for a GPU? http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16835186067