10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    Here's my question, and sorry if it's a stupid one; Can't the GPU manufacturers release some kind of driver that make all their current gaming GPUs bad for mining without impacting the gaming performance, and at the same time, release a whole new series of GPUs that are made specifically for mining, but terrible for gaming while charging as high for them as it is now with the R9 series?
    Then nobody will get that driver, simple. Plus, miners have no real reason to update their drivers...compute performance is compute performance.

As far as I can see there's no real solution to this other than BitCoin dying.

nVidia are most likely laughing their asses off.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Ahh true... Totally missed the possibility of them skipping the driver.

Hopefully they do something that prevent this with future upcoming GPUs. So I guess for now, unless mining somehow completely disappear or die out, people who want to buy the AMD stuff have to pay the ridiculous price.

OT: Is it just me or did Youtube change again? Could somebody please confirm?
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've been a heavy YouTube user and content creator since 2007... I don't care anymore. I'm so used to it changing.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Ahh true... Totally missed the possibility of them skipping the driver.

Hopefully they do something that prevent this with future upcoming GPUs. So I guess for now, unless mining somehow completely disappear or die out, people who want to buy the AMD stuff have to pay the ridiculous price.

OT: Is it just me or did Youtube change again? Could somebody please confirm?
    It did. Good change IMO, looks better and more user friendly than it did before. A little too much negative space on the homepage though.

Quote Originally Posted by Exinium View Post
    It did. Good change IMO, looks better and more user friendly than it did before. A little too much negative space on the homepage though.
    I agree. Thing is, I'm using an extension which makes Youtube black. It's great for my eyes but right now it's broken because of the update. Looks like I'll have to wait until the author of the extension update it to be compatible with the new layout.
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, just noticed the latest update to YouTube myself.

Videos aren't loading properly, they are loading the last one that I had watched. Fantastic!
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Here's my question, and sorry if it's a stupid one; Can't the GPU manufacturers release some kind of driver that make all their current gaming GPUs bad for mining without impacting the gaming performance, and at the same time, release a whole new series of GPUs that are made specifically for mining, but terrible for gaming while charging as high for them as it is now with the R9 series?
    I don't see why they would shoot themself in the foot. AMD doesn't care who buys their GPU's as long as they are selling like crap. I mean, the cards must be selling like nothing else seeing how aggressive the price difference is at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    I don't see why they would shoot themself in the foot. AMD doesn't care who buys their GPU's as long as they are selling like crap. I mean, the cards must be selling like nothing else seeing how aggressive the price difference is at the moment.
    Pretty much, they dont need to do anything extra since their cards are selling like hotcakes. They just sit back and reel in the profits.

In other news, it appears that both pcie ports on my mobo have mysteriously died. How it happened I'm not exactly sure of, everything else is working besides the pcie ports.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

What AMD is missing out on, is getting that repeat custom and getting people invested in their brand.

nVidia has their Shadowplay, GeForce Experience and G-Sync AND the cheaper prices. When somebody gets that deeply invested in the nVidia ecosystem, AMD will have it very hard to convince people to come over to the red camp.

The coin farmers are in it for the money. As soon as the priceerformance tips away from AMD, they'll dump their hardware on the market, and buy whatever makes them more money, and AMD has missed out on a whole generation of sales to potentially loyal customers.

15+ Year Old Account
    Meh, what specifically are you doing when you invest in a brand Nvidia? Even if you bought their card now because AMD prices were higher you'd still be back to square one when it was time to upgrade again in 2-4 years. You might even buy a g-sync monitor now but that doesn't mean you couldn't keep using it with AMD card, you'd just lose the g-sync option but you aren't really paying much extra for that so..-

The people who don't know better don't care about which brand they buy as long as it's price / performance meets their needs. AMD might not hit that point for them at the moment but probably will in a couple of years when it's time to upgrade again. People who do know and do care will most likely understand that it's not AMD's fault for making too good of a card that the coin miners are hoarding them and driving the prices up. When it's time to upgrade again they'll evaluate the situation and see which card suits them best at that point.

TL: DR; AMD might lose some gamer customers now but they trade that for a huge amount of miners that makes them a hefty profit. When it's time to upgrade again for the people that chose not to buy AMD now will probably pick the new best card at that point not caring which card costed the most a few years ago.
    Last edited by Ghâzh; 2014-02-21 at 04:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasoneva...rown-from-amd/

I don't like where this is going o_O

10+ Year Old Account
    There's always something bigger and better coming. I'm not surprised and I am happy I didn't jump like a preteen girl at the thought of a new outfit.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasoneva...rown-from-amd/

I don't like where this is going o_O
    I do. Pouring more fuel on the fire is always the most fascinating thing to do. *gets popcorn and sits back*

15+ Year Old Account
    Some Harvard researcher got booted from their super computer permanently from trying to mine dogecoins. They say he got like a few hundred or even a few thousand.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Some Harvard researcher got booted from their super computer permanently from trying to mine dogecoins. They say he got like a few hundred or even a few thousand.
    I like how he thought he wouldn't get caught.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Inside View Post
    I like how he thought he wouldn't get caught.
    Yeah... often the people that high up in the world let their power and egos get to them and end up coming across as really dumb, when they had such a good opportunity to not.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol that's was like trying to "borrow" Air Force One and use it for your personal transport for a few days without anyone noticing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Lol that's was like trying to "borrow" Air Force One and use it for your personal transport for a few days without anyone noticing.
    I mean bro, that thing is like, free to use. No security on it.
    "A flower.

If he really wanted the quick profit he could have chose some other "lesser" coins, can mine them quicker.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/23/n...-in-europe-uk/

(Potentially) exciting news for you UK and EU folks!