View Poll Results: Get Rid of Combat/Utility Racials?

Voters
226. This poll is closed
  • Yes - Replace Combat/Utility Racials

134 59.29%
  • No - Keep them.

92 40.71%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    All I think should be done is some slight alterations to passives and a few active racial changes.

Every Man for Himself
    Will of the Forsaken
    Escape Artist

These 3 anti-CC abilities need to replaced with something more interesting, either utility or offensive or other kind of defensive ability.

Rocket Jump - should be removed with no replacement.
    Darkflight - should be removed and replaced with "Leap" (same as Rocket Jump).

Either way something does need to be done. Some races like Goblins have so many different benefits while Forsaken for example have practically nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your characters race should not have any effect on your performance in raids or pvp i.e. no dps racials etc.

Your suggested changes are not internally consistent. If you want combat abilities such as crit/haste/expertise/etc, bonuses to go, then the following that you said to keep are also combat-affecting abilities that need to go:
    Draenei heal
    Night Elf Shadowmeld
    Worgen Darkflight will need to be out-of-combat only
    Troll Voodoo shuffle
    Orc Stun resistance

These are all combat advantages, too.

That said, racials are more or less fine as they are. They aren't gamebreakers.

Deleted
    I'd like them replaced just for the hell of it, why not have new things. And it's not like the current state is great or balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Avar ize View Post
    im all for removing all of the racial and maybe just give some emotes ones like in swtor
    No! A million times.... NO

Races in SWTOR are bland as hell, with no real differences at all. Emotes instead of unique racials? NO THANKS

I would be in favor of revamping the racial system a little bit, removing combat enhancing racials could be viable but makes some things bland. It might be neat if you get to choose 2-3 "racial" bonus' when you start similar to talent points. Blizz could link this into your past for instance melee could choose axe/sword/mace expertise to reflect their combat training. With the way they make things up I am sure they could make a talent like racial selection work.

Off topic: I do miss seing my tauren boomkins in raid, the troll ones make me think of the alliance and I am sickened by the thought of raiding with alliance...

Quote Originally Posted by Keoren View Post
    In the case of worgen and troll mages, we can talk about ~1% or even > 1%. I can also name at least two occasions (Ultraxion and Nefarian heroic) where a single person doing 600 more dps would've resulted in an earlier kill, along with multiple ~1% wipes.

We are not even considering abilities such as darkflight here.

It is not a big difference and the probability is quite low. If it was a huge issue, I would've race changed out of gnome long time ago. It is still big enough in my eyes, whereas below 0.5% is where I would draw the line.

Yes.

Gnome is also pretty pointless for arcane nowadays since the racial was changed from 5% max to 5% base intellect which is only around one thousand points of mana, if I recall correctly.
    If you base your decisions that impact your gameplay significantly on ~1% DPS difference, that is fine. That is your subjective decision. But it is hardly an objective fact or a settled consensus among hardcore raiders that ~1% DPS is such an important difference. I showed that by pointing to many accomplished mages who are in fact not rolling the most optimal race, and you avoided addressing that specific topic. I showed, also, that hardcore raiders choose suboptimal professions, which you also did not address.

And Expansive Mind is 5% total mana. You are again proving my point that most people who are agitated about the allegedly gross imbalance between racials don't understand the mechanics.

You are accusing me of doing things I haven't done and seem to be one step away from calling me names. Is this really necessary?
    I apologize. This accusation was really aimed at people who had been posting in this thread before you, who are suggesting such things. Your post was definitely not of that ilk.

Quote Originally Posted by Lappen View Post
    I showed that by pointing to many accomplished mages who are in fact not rolling the most optimal race, and you avoided addressing that specific topic. I showed, also, that hardcore raiders choose suboptimal professions, which you also did not address.
    I don't see a reason since I am not arguing that someone shouldn't be one of these races. I am merely annoyed by the advantage offered by the other options.

And Expansive Mind is 5% total mana. You are again proving my point that most people who are agitated about the allegedly gross imbalance between racials don't understand the mechanics.
    This is where I must admit that I had a complete brainfart. It's good that you pointed it out.

It used to be 5% of your intellect and is now indeed 5% of your total mana pool. No wonder I was thinking to myself that I gained few thousand mana from it when I dinged level 85 and the 5% of around 22k or whatever the base is wasn't matching. I was also puzzled by the numbers I was getting for gnomes on long fights (around +50 on 10 minutes) since the evocation gain wouldn't have been that big.

I apologize. This accusation was really aimed at people who had been posting in this thread before you, who are suggesting such things. Your post was definitely not of that ilk.
    I just greatly dislike when a person is targeted instead of the topic. Not that I don't understand it. More than once I have thought to myself "Idiots!" when reading these forums.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrusader View Post
    - remove Human +reputation racial ... that one just sux ...
    Are you insane? Think of all the time it saves. I have something like 46 exalted reps on my human main. Being able to get them done 10% faster probably saved me days of my life.

From a gameplay perspective I like the idea. I want to pick a race based on looks and what I think is cool, not because they happen to have an OP racial.

From a lore perspective I think they should stay. It makes sense that different races would use the inherit advantages of their race in combat. Of course a Tauren is going to use its massive size to do a war stomp, and of course a Blood Elf is going to use their prowess over magic to silence their foes.

Plus, Now that we've established in the lore that they can do these things, it doesn't make sense that they would suddenly stop doing them. Then again, 9 times out of 10 gameplay trumps lore. We'll just have to wait until the NDA is lifted to see what, if anything, Blizzard is going to do with the existing racials.
    Last edited by Lemons; 2012-03-16 at 10:09 PM.

I voted yes, however i dont really want all active skills and all meaningfull skills to go away. I would rather see them getting balanced, especially in pve... No alliance hunter can actually compete with troll with bow for example. Worgens give 1% crit, great... troll gets 1% crit when using bow and on top of that gets dps cooldown... not mentioning 5% bonus dmg to beasts. Where is balance in here?
    However if i had been given a choice, current design vs complete removal of anything improving you in combat i would be after removal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexiefy View Post
    I voted yes, however i dont really want all active skills and all meaningfull skills to go away. I would rather see them getting balanced, especially in pve... No alliance hunter can actually compete with troll with bow for example. Worgens give 1% crit, great... troll gets 1% crit when using bow and on top of that gets dps cooldown... not mentioning 5% bonus dmg to beasts. Where is balance in here?
    However if i had been given a choice, current design vs complete removal of anything improving you in combat i would be after removal.
    Don't forget Troll health regen, about which one can do nothing.