10+ Year Old Account
    On a phone but regarding your post Blueobelisk, Aang is actually a better bender than you give credit. He was considered a master Airbender before he was frozen.
    Hey everyone

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    On a phone but regarding your post Blueobelisk, Aang is actually a better bender than you give credit. He was considered a master Airbender before he was frozen.
    I actualy think he became a master airbender because he was more talented then most of the airbenders of his age but that he got it from the fact that he was the avatar (eventho he didnt knew he was the avatar) not because he was such a great bender.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endonyx View Post
    I actualy think he became a master airbender because he was more talented then most of the airbenders of his age but that he got it from the fact that he was the avatar (eventho he didnt knew he was the avatar) not because he was such a great bender.
    The tattoos mean he is a master.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    The tattoos mean he is a master.
    If I get Arrow-tattoos as well, do I become an Air bending master?

Quote Originally Posted by The Monado View Post
    If I get Arrow-tattoos as well, do I become an Air bending master?
    In the Avatar extras episodes, when they give you the small tid-bits of trivia while the episodes play, they do explain that when an airbender gets their tattoos their a master. It was why being the last airbender wasn't a problem in terms of training and they jumped to him mastering waterbending.

Though I suppose it is a bit contradictory seeing as right before he left he was still being trained by the master monks. But you could just assume that even as a Master, you're never done learning or they were techniques that only the monks knew.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    In the Avatar extras episodes, when they give you the small tid-bits of trivia while the episodes play, they do explain that when an airbender gets their tattoos their a master. It was why being the last airbender wasn't a problem in terms of training and they jumped to him mastering waterbending.

Though I suppose it is a bit contradictory seeing as right before he left he was still being trained by the master monks. But you could just assume that even as a Master, you're never done learning or they were techniques that only the monks knew.
    Well if you look at Azula, there was still a lot she was learning considering her father was much better (Iroh too).
    Hey everyone

So finally finished all 3 seasons of Avatar (watched them in a weird order). Tale of Iroh made me cry. That song's stuck in my head and every time I think about it I get teary eyed.

Anyways, hoping to time my watching of the first season of Legend of Korra with the release of the second season. Really wish the first season was longer.

P.S. My favorite character throughout the whole series is definitely Zuko.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2013-02-21 at 06:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Plus, they could be teaching him non-airbending stuff. Meditation, history lessons, sky bison safety, etc.
    A look at the warcraft novels, RPG books, games and magical french space soccer.

Glory to person-whose-name-I-dont-know-but-rules-Kul-Tiras!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzual View Post
    Their status as master came from inventing a new form/skill didn't it? Aang invented the air scooter which earned him his tattoos and his "rank".

Also just because somebody is a master doesn't mean they don't have more stuff to learn. He could only get better with more teaching, that's most likely why he was still learning from monks
    On the subject of masters, I'd love to have a mini series about Ozai. I honestly love that character and even Zuko said he was a much nicer person when he was younger... Like maybe it could be an Iroh and Ozai thing and see how they became such good benders. I'm sure their father had something to do with it.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be more interested in seeing the story of why Iroh was so scared of spirits
    Did you see that Panda spirit, it fucks shit up... Don't fuck with him.

Dat F-Bomb
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Endonyx View Post
    I really disagree, I think him being the avatar only gave him a little extra affinity toward elements, and being able to use all four elements. That was the point in the flashback where there were kids playing air scooter ball and they had even teams, monks come in "Aang you are the avatar" and kids are like " JK Aang you just got 50x stronger because of your title,you can't play."

I think Master class means you know all the required set of techniques, basic and advanced, but that you can still continue to learn and invent other stuff.

I'd be more interested in seeing the story of why Iroh was so scared of spirits
    :O Iroh went to the Spirit World according to Jao. Is that fucking baller or what. Avatar is connected to spirit world? Korra doesn't even know how and Aang had to do it using help of the spirits in that pond. Iroh? He just does it himself being a regular person.

But Iroh wasn't scared of Spirits, he just knew not to fuck with the balance of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    But Iroh wasn't scared of Spirits, he just knew not to fuck with the balance of the world.
    Well Iroh also understood how the different benders could learn from each other. He developed his method of redirecting lighting by studying water benders after all. Iroh was literally more in touch with everything than most people, so in that way it made sense for him to also be more in touch with the spirits.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Well Iroh also understood how the different benders could learn from each other. He developed his method of redirecting lighting by studying water benders after all. Iroh was literally more in touch with everything than most people, so in that way it made sense for him to also be more in touch with the spirits.
    I disagree. I think spirits are a completely different thing than elements/bending. Iroh studying all the elements =/= him becoming better with the spirits.

Oh guys btw I was always curious. Do you think that lightning bending got a power-up from Sozin's comet that day?

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do you think that lightning bending got a power-up from Sozin's comet that day?
    Probably. We did see bigger lightning blasts during the comet episodes.

Idk. I mean. I thought so too, because Zuko got hit by it and took some massive fucking damage. And Aang looked like it took a lot of energy to redirect the lightning so I thought the blast might have been bigger.

But I saw the episode Iroh taught Zuko about lightning the other day and it seemed to be the same size as during Sozin's comet...And Aang could just be a weak scrub since it was his first time redirecting (and he never even saw it before, Zuko saw Iroh do it before he did it himself). And lightning IS lightning, the only person it ever hit beside Zuko was Uncle and Uncle was sidelined for like 3 weeks of being in a coma before he woke up, Zuko could have gotten hit similar to that.

10+ Year Old Account
    When the comet passed I seem to remember a character taking a deep breath and commenting that they can feel the energy from it.
    That was Iroh.
    Hey everyone

You know, I would love to see more backstory on Iroh. It seems like his story would be a great look into his time from a fire nation general to the fun-loving old man we see in the series.

We could see what happened between him and the spirit world. Zhao does say he even went there once, and I think it had a big impact on the character we see. Like in Zuko's flash back of his childhood, though Iroh was still a pretty cheery guy, he did seem to have a bit of dark humor when he was attacking Ba Sing Se.

Then his son dies and he ups and leaves. I always figured he sought the help of the spirits to either bring his son back to life or to simply see him again. It is kind of hinted that Lu Ten was attacked by Koh, so maybe he was trying to "save" him. Then it was what humbled him into respecting the balance of the world and help him into the humbled man he is in the series.

I disagree. I think spirits are a completely different thing than elements/bending. Iroh studying all the elements =/= him becoming better with the spirits.
    I do think they are separate. What I am saying is understanding the balance of things in the different types of bending and the balance of the world in general on such a deep level allowed him to be able to open up to the spirit world too. Not everyone who has this deep understanding would do it though.

And Aang could just be a weak scrub since it was his first time redirecting (and he never even saw it before, Zuko saw Iroh do it before he did it himself).
    Zuko taught Aang how to do it the same way Iroh taught Zuko. I don't think seeing someone actually do it had anything to do with it.

Also, yes lightening bending definitely got a boost from the comet. Lightening bending isn't a separate bending from fire bending, it's an advanced type of fire bending and all firebenders got a boost from the comet. It just wouldn't make any sort of sense for Lightening bending to not get a boost.

---------- Post added 2013-02-22 at 12:08 PM ----------

Then his son dies and he ups and leaves. I always figured he sought the help of the spirits to either bring his son back to life or to simply see him again. It is kind of hinted that Lu Ten was attacked by Koh, so maybe he was trying to "save" him. Then it was what humbled him into respecting the balance of the world and help him into the humbled man he is in the series.
    I think it was more about dealing with the lose of his son and searching for a sense of purpose. Before that his purpose was probably to be ready to be the next Firelord and preparing his son after him. When his son died he not only lost his son, but very soon after his younger brother was made Firelord over him. Also sometime after his son died is when he learned the true history of Avatar Roku and the Firelord of that time, which after that is probably when he started taking more of an interest in Zuko.

At least that's my thoughts about. Would love to see a season about all of that though

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I think it was more about dealing with the lose of his son and searching for a sense of purpose. Before that his purpose was probably to be ready to be the next Firelord and preparing his son after him. When his son died he not only lost his son, but very soon after his younger brother was made Firelord over him. Also sometime after his son died is when he learned the true history of Avatar Roku and the Firelord of that time, which after that is probably when he started taking more of an interest in Zuko.

At least that's my thoughts about. Would love to see a season about all of that though
    Well, next season of Korra seems to have a lot to do with the spirit world. Who knows, maybe we'll see Iroh's spirit showing up to help Korra. I don't think it's been explained what it's like for normal humans to die and go there, if there is a seperate plane for them to go to or not.