Thread: GW2 content

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by alms1407 View Post
    sarcasm???
    He prefers the cartoony graphics of WoW, and the plasticy graphics of SWTOR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Even if he does, I personally consider that post to be trolling, if not flame-baiting.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

And the bland gray brown of Rift.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

The graphics wasn't "bad", but many the objects didn't fit to each other in the video. Look at the trees for example, they don' fit to the ground at all (the dark forest)

Combat looked like a total mess and it didn't look any fun at all to me

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrien View Post
    The graphics wasn't "bad", but many the objects didn't fit to each other in the video. Look at the trees for example, they don' fit to the ground at all (the dark forest)

Combat looked like a total mess and it didn't look any fun at all to me
    Is static combat fun?
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Is static combat fun?
    what do you mean? Yes it can be, but in wow, swtor, Lotro Aoc etc you move a lot while fighting.

What i meant was that in the video there was so many spell effects that made everything look like a total mess

10+ Year Old Account
    what do you mean? Yes it can be, but in wow, swtor, Lotro Aoc etc you move a lot while fighting.

What i meant was that in the video there was so many spell effects that made everything look like a total mess
    How is that not the same in WoW with projected textures turned on? Or even TOR in some circumstances?

Yeah, some of the particle effects are kinda crazy, and are being toned down, but its no different than the particle effects in other popular mmos.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Actually, in WoW, you don't have to move at all in combat. The only reason you need to move (PvE) is if a mechanic is on you or the tank moves the boss. The combat is completely static in the sense that moving doesn't help you at all, it doesn't give you a chance to dodge it doesn't give you any advantage what so ever. Being 'behind' a target for a whole fight doesn't mean it's dynamic combat.

And yes, it's already been stated that particle effects needed to be turned down (especially fire).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannaya View Post
    That's implying that the main leveling content in any mmo is challenging at any point, be it at the appropriate level or otherwise. Elwyn forest wasn't challenging at levels 1-10, at 85 it just goes by quicker. Plus running low level content in GW2 will be easier than it was on-level anyway, they've repeatedly said that an 80 scaled down to level 10 will be much more powerful than a level 10 due to skills, gear and the way they downscale the stats based on percentages. Early content may not be trivial when your max-level but if it wasnt too challenging when you were level appropriate, it certainly wont be challenging then.
    Odd... I remember on Teldrassil there was this cave filled with furbolgs. In classic WoW I remember dieing there up to 7 times... in fact, even though before I quit WoW I had 7 night elf characters (all leveled before Cataclysm), I can't remember even one not dieing to those furbolgs... I'd say for my characters that cave was challenging content.

Also, mobs in GW2, from all videos I saw... hit hard, and if you don't know very well when to dodge or how to use ranged attacks and you pull 10 of them... you'll die! In a level 1-10 zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Odd... I remember on Teldrassil there was this cave filled with furbolgs. In classic WoW I remember dieing there up to 7 times... in fact, even though before I quit WoW I had 7 night elf characters (all leveled before Cataclysm), I can't remember even one not dieing to those furbolgs... I'd say for my characters that cave was challenging content.

Also, mobs in GW2, from all videos I saw... hit hard, and if you don't know very well when to dodge or how to use ranged attacks and you pull 10 of them... you'll die! In a level 1-10 zone.
    I hated that cave for the life of me. I'd just sit back and farm mobs until I got the exp from those quests. I refused to do it after a while. It's cake now sadly, you can go in theere and pull everything and pretty much not die.

Post 1,000. Yay. [lackofenthusiasm]

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyhacker View Post
    Always got to love people who think like this... well I would love people who think like this if I was a publisher since it means that the consumers are justifying being milked. Sub fees are from when it was really costly to host a server, and no longer hold a place in the market. Can you honestly say that you get $180 worth of added content to WoW every year without paying more for expansions? Lets pretend that vanilla WoW still costs $60 for the box, which would mean you are paying three times the box cost every year, are you getting three times the content of all of vanilla WoW every year without buying an expansion? This "subs means updates" is just bulux.

And even if sub fees actually went to paying for content updates lets also look at two other points. Point one being lets pretend that WoW only has 6.67 million people subbed, that would mean that they are getting paid 100million dollars every month for negligable server fees and content updates and profit, do you feel you get $100,000,000 worth of updates every month? And then point two is are all or any of the updates you get forced to buy actually something that you want or do, if all the updates are to a part of the game you don't play why are you buying the content?

Final point being say I work on cars, and say your car is broken, the alternater is bad, now you pay me $200 a month to fix you car, but this month rather then fix your alternater I replace your A/C which was working fine, and next month I change your brakes which where working fine as well, I am doing work on your car and you are paying a monthly fee to have your car updated so I should be paid despite doing stuff you don't care about while not fixing something you do right? That is what a sub fee in games is, taking a gamble paying a mechanic monthly to work on something without that something being defined, micro transaction and expansion updates on the other hand you buy because it is something you want, not because your gambling on what it may or may not be. What happened to the gaming market where people accept paying a gambling fee rather then buying what they want thus making developers and publishers release content people want to buy.
    Eh but thats the whole trick. Your example with car is wrong. You seems to assume that sub fee is paying for content. Which isnt true.

With subscription fee, what you are rly paying for is access to server. Thats all rly. You bought box with game, you got some time free, after that free time, you are paying for access to server . Only content you are directly paying for is in box with game. All content added after you bought game isnt soemthing you bought, its to give you reason for paying to access game servers. Look at WoW. You own nothing which is in game. Everything, your characters etc, all is owned by Blizzard, and Blizzard is charging you for accessing that stuff. So any content they add isnt because you paid for it, its to make you still pay for access to it. Its damn simple and great concept for making money, thats why there are so many new MMOs.

Thats major misconception ppl have. They think that they are buying something differnt then they rly buying.

So one would say that games which are B2P are much better - well from taht pov yea, because you know exactly what you are paying for, there is very lite place for any missconception. When you buying box with game, you bought already unlimited time access to server. At end real money for B2p and f2p games are coming from microtransactions and cash shop. If game is build with them in mind, it can give way more profit then sub fee. But still, you know exactly what you are paying for, you just need mental discipline to not overspend.
    But with game which have cash shop, you can except similar ammount of content like with sub fee based game. Because function of content is exactly the same in both models. Its nto what you are paying for, content is to make you come back to game, play more, and maybe when you level alt, you will want buy this xp boosters - they are cheap arnt they? so few to lower leveling time wont hurt. And bag slots, its cheap too, there are so many cool items to have and not enough space. And thats how it continue.

Another model Blizz is trying with Diablo3 - you buy game with unlimited access, and you are free to sell any boe items/gold for irl money. Blizzard will be just taking few % from each transaction. So simple, and ppl can so easly forgett about all this additional money which might go to Blizzard pocket.

Is it all evil? No rly imo, just rly smart ways of earning money and finding ways for ppl to pay to company. Whats bad is that too often ppl dont understend rly whats exactly happning, like with that missconception that by paying sub fee you are buying content in patches.
    Last edited by mmoc3219a733ae; 2012-03-30 at 06:18 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    And the bland gray brown of Rift.
    Even if said poster was... more or less actually flame-bating, doesn't mean you need to turn the cannons on him since it's no use.
    1. It doesn't matter as he/she already has his/her opinion.
    2. You're insulting people who like those graphics.

For example I love how GW2 looks... but I still like the graphics of both WoW, SWToR and Rift! I think they're ok that different games pick different types of art, if all games would be the same it would be boring. I can understand you both directed the attack back at the guy/girl making that statement that graphics are bad, but you're touching other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    I hated that cave for the life of me. I'd just sit back and farm mobs until I got the exp from those quests. I refused to do it after a while. It's cake now sadly, you can go in theere and pull everything and pretty much not die.

Post 1,000. Yay. [lackofenthusiasm]
    I loved that cave, every character I'd invent a new and crazy approach to it to live... with my last character I almost made it... but then the person with which I was in dc-d and I got rampaged by 5-7 furbolgs.

And now you get an npc to help you, as soon as you enter there's a sentinel summoned and she helps you not only fight mobs (she's also quite strong, can 3-shot mobs on her own) but also she shows you exact path to the relics.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanrei View Post
    Eh but thats the whole trick. Your example with car is wrong. You seems to assume that sub fee is paying for content. Which isnt true.
    Um derp, maybe you should read something in context before pointing out the obvious, my reply was to someone who was trying to say that no sub fees= no updates to games ever, Read what my reply was to and then look at "And even if sub fees actually went to paying for content updates lets also look at two other points" in context. When you make a counter point you don't always make it based on reality you make it based off the original point to show the flaws in the point.

Reading "The princess would have never killed a fly escpicaly not her love, They loved to talk things over food" as "The princess ...killed ... her love ... over food" is highly unproductive. Before you try bashing a comment try reading it in context. And the summery point of "What happened to the gaming market where people accept paying a gambling fee rather then buying what they want thus making developers and publishers release content people want to buy." very much is shown in proper context. Server fees though do exists are fairly negligible now a days and are more then covered even if the only thing you sell is character slots, back 8-12 years ago yeah servers where expensive hell most people where still on dialup back then, but it is an unnecessary fee to try to charge now a days with how cheap it is now.

Its damn simple and great concept for making money, thats why there are so many new MMOs.
    Umm expect for the fact that Sub/F2P micro transaction hybrid models make more money then Sub only models do, there is a reason why Sub only models are dying out and switching over to hybrids, people can not justify playing 2,3,4 sub based games at a time yet they can justify playing as many micro trans models as they want and generally end up spending more money then they normally would if forced to pay a sub, 5 million people spending $5 here and $3 there and $4 there spend more money then 1 million people spending $15/month. Heck in DDO you can easily spend $50 in a month from lots of small micro transactions, which is why they increased their monthly revenue when they switched from P2P to P2P/F2P(micro trans) hybrid model.

This notion of making new MMOs= easy money that you are trying to project is absurd, it is a market that is hard to make your way into if your charging monthly fees, because even if your game is twice as good then the one people are currently playing people do not like losing progress in what they have spent so much time and money into over the years that they are not willing to switch and many of those people can not justify spending $30/month to play 2 sub based MMOs at a time... Honestly it won't be to much longer before the sub based model dies and the "buy what you want to buy, force the developers and publishers to release content people want to pay for" takes over, maybe 3-5 years out, but this whole pay $15/month per person for servers that cost closer to $0.03/month per person and trying to justify it with being offered updated content that you may or may not want is slowly dying being replaced by nickle and diming micro transactions because more people are willing to pay for what they want rather then outdated server costs and a gamble on what content they are given.
    Last edited by Hockeyhacker; 2012-03-30 at 06:59 PM.

Deleted
    Um derp, maybe you should read something in context before pointing out the obvious, my reply was to someone who was trying to say that no sub fees= no updates to games ever, Read what my reply was to and then look at "And even if sub fees actually went to paying for content updates lets also look at two other points" in context. When you make a counter point you don't always make it based on reality you make it based off the original point to show the flaws in the point.

Reading "The princess would have never killed a fly escpicaly not her love, They loved to talk things over food" as "The princess ...killed ... her love ... over food" is highly unproductive. Before you try bashing a comment try reading it in context. And the summery point of "What happened to the gaming market where people accept paying a gambling fee rather then buying what they want thus making developers and publishers release content people want to buy." very much is shown in proper context. Server fees though do exists are fairly negligible now a days and are more then covered even if the only thing you sell is character slots, back 8-12 years ago yeah servers where expensive hell most people where still on dialup back then, but it is an unnecessary fee to try to charge now a days with how cheap it is now.
    Mate, did you actualy read mine post at all or only that first line?

Maybe I worded first line unfortunate, but mine post was rather supportive to "sub fee not giving you more content then f2p or b2p game will give you" which is your idea if I udnerstend it corectly and I agree with that (ammoung other stuff you wrote). You would know this if you read mine whole post

Clearly you didnt get to that part if you think i was bashing you personaly, or any1 :

"But with game which have cash shop, you can except similar ammount of content like with sub fee based game. Because function of content is exactly the same in both models."

I quoted only your post because I dont know how to make it double quote (one quote inside other quote) which dont look shity. But mine post was rather answer to rirkla then you. Sorry if you felt offended in some way.
    Last edited by mmoc3219a733ae; 2012-03-30 at 07:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rirkla View Post
    Its true that GW2 is Buy to play but it wont get as much updates or it shouldnt get as many updates if they dont release a lot of expansion but as they only get money from that no
    that's a load of horse shit
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    that's a load of horse shit
    Don't insult the horses.

Deleted
    U
    Umm expect for the fact that Sub/F2P micro transaction hybrid models make more money then Sub only models do, there is a reason why Sub only models are dying out and switching over to hybrids, people can not justify playing 2,3,4 sub based games at a time yet they can justify playing as many micro trans models as they want and generally end up spending more money then they normally would if forced to pay a sub, 5 million people spending $5 here and $3 there and $4 there spend more money then 1 million people spending $15/month. Heck in DDO you can easily spend $50 in a month from lots of small micro transactions, which is why they increased their monthly revenue when they switched from P2P to P2P/F2P(micro trans) hybrid model.

This notion of making new MMOs= easy money that you are trying to project is absurd, it is a market that is hard to make your way into if your charging monthly fees, because even if your game is twice as good then the one people are currently playing people do not like losing progress in what they have spent so much time and money into over the years that they are not willing to switch and many of those people can not justify spending $30/month to play 2 sub based MMOs at a time... Honestly it won't be to much longer before the sub based model dies and the "buy what you want to buy, force the developers and publishers to release content people want to pay for" takes over, maybe 3-5 years out, but this whole pay $15/month per person for servers that cost closer to $0.03/month per person and trying to justify it with being offered updated content that you may or may not want is slowly dying being replaced by nickle and diming micro transactions because more people are willing to pay for what they want rather then outdated server costs and a gamble on what content they are given.
    I agree that Sub/Cash shop hybrid models are more profitable. Generaly hybrid models seems to adapt better.

I didnt say MMOs are easy money, I said that whole concept is simple and great at same time for making money, and I still belive that. You sell some1 product, then you charge him for accessing to stuff needed to play that product. Being it easy or not to get to market now, is totaly differnt pair of shoes.

I dont know if sub fee based MMOs will die or not soon. Im not arguing about that rly. You might be right in what you wrote. Or Diablo3 model will be sucesfull and we will see more games like that, or maybe something differnt totaly.

If you read mine other post, you know that I understend what Im paying for, Im just finding it suprising that a lot ppl seems to not understend what exactly are they paying for in sub fee based MMO. And Im paying because I think its still worth. Thats all. When it stop being worth for me, I will stop pay.

10+ Year Old Account
    you are paying for access to server
    But why?

Servers are cheap! D:

---------- Post added 2012-03-30 at 02:34 PM ----------

generally end up spending more money then they normally would if forced to pay a sub
    Source please.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    But why?

Servers are cheap! D:
    It might be rethorical but i will try answer it anyway:

1. Why is company charge? because thats their way for making money and its working. They will stop charging sub fee when it stop profiving profit and switch to f2p model for example as several MMOs did recently (thats mine understending, they didnt make it because its nicer to consumer, they did it because it giving them more profit)

2. Im personaly paying because that way I have access to WoW servers and can continue playing WoW. Biggest reason is I have good time with other ppl there and I still find game ok (maybe just focusing on differnt aspects now then few years ago). For 10$ of montly fee (thats cost of monthly fee for me after currency exchange) I would have 2 cinema tickets, so I find it still worth for all time I spend with ppl im calling friends in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Don't insult the horses.
    they are good for burgers and fertilizer

---------- Post added 2012-03-30 at 01:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Source please.
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/01...nce-going-f2p/

Turbine has seen LotRO's profits triple since F2P along with a huge influx of new players, and that spells good news for the future of the game.
    Last edited by Glytch; 2012-03-30 at 07:46 PM.
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass