Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zoefschildpad View Post
    It is everywhere else in the western world
    I dont know for sure but werent their riots in england over tuitiion in COLLEGE.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    They'll use the absolutely minimal amount of force necessary to make you comply?
    You go to jail. These kids should feel fortunate they got to break the law in FRONT of police and still go home, wash up and drink illegally.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    You need to stop hugging your tree and learn the rules of appropriate usage of force.
    This right here.

Mod warning: Posts need to amount to more than "This". Contribute to the discussion or risk a Minor Spam infraction.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2012-04-05 at 01:15 AM.

Deleted
    They'll use the absolutely minimal amount of force necessary to make you comply?
    And what's that from your point of view? "Umm, guys, here's some milk and cookies, please leave!"

there are lots of things more harmfull than Pepper spray
    Of course there are. So what?

sure some innocent will get sprayed but the majority of the people there were trying to force thier way in
    Can the police discharge firearms if they think most of the people they might hit are guilty?

Quote Originally Posted by Akuin View Post
    For those that mentioned that someone taking longer to get a degree devalues the degrees gotten by others. I find that horribly discriminatory and insulting. My Degree does not devalue anyone else's degree. My Degree shows only -one thing-. That I did -not- give up. I am learning disabled, but even with those disabilities my instructors would tell you I'm the smartest person that they've ever met. I am -extremely- proud of my hard work, as I'm sure anyone else with a learning disability and a degree would be. The students at my graduation that did it in 'regular' time didn't begrudge me. They didn't think their degrees were depreciated. What they saw was someone who had more determination then they ever would have. 10 years it took me to get my AA, 10 -years-. So for anyone that thinks my degree somehow lessens everyone else's. That's insulting.
    Ok let me put it this way. If we all have college degrees, what sets us apart from each other on a job application? If government guarantees education in the US after grade 12 to everyone, the value is brought down because you have done what is now the new minimum. To set yourself apart, you need to attain a master's. If that becomes available across the board. Then the things that set one person apart has to go up.

Employers look for the best and most capable candidate, and when everyone is the same, the competitive edge is lost. My old man works for a pharmaceutical company and has told me repeatedly that while the minimum for consideration for employment is a Bachelor's, the likelihood of being hired based on just that is not enough however.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

Private property = they can kick you off

Trespassing is against the law, which means they can call cops...
    Trying to "break into" a building/room = Felony in most states, I believe.

Ignoring the cops trying to enforce the law is also, against the law...

Getting pepper sprayed is probably the least punishment they could have received for what they were doing... Nice work officers, you used sound judgement to attempt to defuse a situation! Wish I could buy you guys a coffee.

Can the police discharge firearms if they think most of the people they might hit are guilty?
    Why don't you stop grasping at straws and stick to the topic at hand. They were told to back up NUMEROUS times, they didn't. The officer did what he was trained to do to get a crowd to disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by Awinee View Post
    So now you're trying to control who gets into college because some people might not be as bright as the others? You realize that is classified as racism right? It's illegal. Try again.

Funniest thing I heard all day. Here is the school trying to get a even bigger paycheck (have you seen the paychecks of some of these directors who probably do f*ck all every day? Some earn more then 300k..) using the cops as their private security and it's the cops that are victims? Please....
    No, I was not aware that discrimination via intelligence is considered "racism". That's quiet a broad definition of the term "racism" you are using there.

Are you really arguing that everyone is cut out for higher education, that every person born is highly intelligent and held back only by opportunity and circumstance? If you really believe that then you're so out of touch with reality that it's not worth my time to argue with you. You do realize that everyone has to pass a set of tests to enter college in the first place, right? There is nothing illegal about requiring certain knowledge or possessing certain abilities to enter college.

The problem is that we make it too easy, the barrier for entry should be much higher. There are far too many many people in JC's across the country on the taxpayer's dime just futzing around and wasting time. They end up dropping out after 4+ years anyway, or they get an associate's and... well, they probably still end up in some low paying job if they're competing against people with real degrees (and no, JC is not higher education. It is a joke and is as difficult as high school). It's common sense, try again.

Aside from that, everyone pursuing intellectual professions wouldn't work. You need laborers to make the world run.
    Last edited by Biged781; 2012-04-05 at 01:01 AM.

Deleted
    Eu schools might be cheaper in some places, tho i always thought that was due to the US being very tax shy? same goes for the health care?

Quote Originally Posted by Hedleyazg View Post
    Why don't you stop grasping at straws and stick to the topic at hand. They were told to back up NUMEROUS times, they didn't. The officer did what he was trained to do to get a crowd to disperse.
    No, he said its ok if some innocents get hit. I want to explore that. Its pretty fucking relevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Like I said earlier you need to either watch that video again or get your eyes checked because the police were completely in line with the appropriate usage of force. You might not like it but thats how it works no court would find them guilty of using excessive force either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Awinee View Post
    Excuse me? They are fighting for their educations. It's the schools fault that they want to be making a profit in the first place and there for charge ridiculous prices to go to their school. Then they have a private meeting about it that people find out about and they have the cops come and protect them? So they are not only increasing the cost of education for their own good but they are also using tax money to defend them selfs from students who merely want to have a fucking education so they can get a job and yet the STUDENTS are who are at wrong? You really have a fucked up view of this world.
    It's the schools fault that they want to make a profit!? Name a single anything in this world that isn't all about profit. Even non-profit organizations are in it for profit in the long run.
    The students aren't in the wrong for wanting lower tuition and other fees, they are in the wrong for disobeying direct police orders to stand back from the door. They had no right to try and interrupt a private board meeting.
    I think I said this earlier in the thread too: Students can protest all they want, but they second they start using physical force to get what they want, the police get involved and the police did what was needed to be done to stop the mob.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

No, he said its ok if some innocents get hit. I want to explore that. Its pretty fucking relevant.
    There is a huge difference between using pepper spray on a crowd of angry/potentially violent people and shooting a person that is a direct threat. If you can't tell the difference, I feel sorry for you (almost but not really).

Quote Originally Posted by Hedleyazg View Post
    There is a huge difference between using pepper spray on a crowd of angry/potentially violent people and shooting a person that is a direct threat. If you can't tell the difference, I feel sorry for you (almost but not really).
    I can tell the difference. I'm just wondering why he's ok with the police harming innocent people and how far that goes. You can stop carrying water for him and let him defend his own statements.

10+ Year Old Account
    if they were "innocent" they wouldn't be there as the police instructed them. You are just arguing for the sake of arguing now, and you are doing a poor job of it. I see how you got the 8,000 posts it's a shame you have nothing better to do than make posts with no real point.

I can tell the difference. I'm just wondering why he's ok with the police harming innocent people and how far that goes. You can stop carrying water for him and let him defend his own statements.
    Who were the innocent people that got hit by pepper spray in that video? Looks to me like they were all trying to force their way in. If they were "innocent" like you claim, THEY WOULD HAVE LEFT WHEN THE POLICE SAID TO LEAVE. Refusing to leave when an officer tells you to = breaking the law.

They're not "innocent". They are participants in the mob. If they are collateral damage and the police were justified in their reaction (they were) then so be it. It's all fun and games until people start getting aggressive with police and the pepper spray comes out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Waiting for the "Oh so now people have to listen to the police or they can be pepper sprayed?"

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    _______ saying that not allowing dumb people into college is racism... its not racism. Racism is against a race or minority and dumb is not a minority or race.
    Probably the most <3 thing i've read all day... But seriously, Tierbook, I think you misunderstand how the educational system works in the US...

In the US Parents(white, black, & other) all teach their kids that everything = racism... And by the time they get to school the attempts of teachers to 'fix' this mindset are almost futile... they can't fix it as by the time they are able to think themselves from what teachers teach them... their parents have already brainwashed them...