Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Last I checked... you actually only use those procs if your runes are on cooldown, so not quite.
    It used to be like that when DKs had their debut in early wrath. DK dps was very much focused on watching KM and RIME over everything else. . I used to enjoy that. Until I quit playing.

---------- Post added 2012-04-18 at 09:53 PM ----------

I think the point being is that yes, there are many situational skills in WoW and you could have a very "situational-intensive" session of button playing depending on the encounter and your disposition towards helping healers, tanks and progressing.

However, the padadigm of the holy trinity somewhat dimishes the chances to use such situational skills and what turns out is that the majority of your time is spent focusing on your rotations (even if its a priority system, which you could say focusing on your procs to determine priority) rather than using AMS to avoid that fire damage or intervening the priest whos going to die to that add in seconds.

Point is that when you are relatively safe that your life isn't in danger if you are doing mostly what you should be doing in the scripted encounter, the majority of your time is spent focusing on what makes your "role" more efficient be that dps, healing or tanking. However, if you remove those roles, remove conventional aggro and make it so that everyone needs to focus on keeping themselves alive, the usage of those situational abilities becomes the norm, instead of the deviation of pattern (which in wow is fulfilling your role). I agree with people here saying that combat will be more interesting in GW2 mainly because of that factor. We all need to keep ourselves alive and for that we will have to use everything at our disposal, MOST OF THE TIME. And when not doing that, try to squeeze in some more dps.

It's a shift in paradigm that flips your priorities from your mini-game of rotations and priorities to another of dodging and keeping your enemy at bay.

I for one find it more interesting to keep my eyes mostly on what's going on before me and briefly to my cooldowns and procs than focusing on my cooldowns and procs and paying attention to the random inconstant occurances on screen that I need to act on, briefly.

Deleted
    Quite interesting. I don't know what to say about the auto option for all skills, I can understand having your heal and one ability there but being able to make all auto? Hmmm... kind of overwkill, will make some people actually do that and not play, just target mobs and then wait. I do admit that mobs are hard from what I see, but don't know, the auto option on all skills seems overkill to me.

That said, it's nice to see there's actually a challenge even out in the world, you can be swamped by more then 2 mobs and such even if you know how to play. I like that. I do admit it will be slightly annoying when exploring stuff just for the view if there's tons of hostile things, but it's ok, a challenge is always welcomed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiev View Post
    I think the point being is that yes, there are many situational skills in WoW and you could have a very "situational-intensive" session of button playing depending on the encounter and your disposition towards helping healers, tanks and progressing.

However, the padadigm of the holy trinity somewhat dimishes the chances to use such situational skills and what turns out is that the majority of your time is spent focusing on your rotations (even if its a priority system, which you could say focusing on your procs to determine priority) rather than using AMS to avoid that fire damage or intervening the priest whos going to die to that add in seconds.

Point is that when you are relatively safe that your life isn't in danger if you are doing mostly what you should be doing in the scripted encounter, the majority of your time is spent focusing on what makes your "role" more efficient be that dps, healing or tanking. However, if you remove those roles, remove conventional aggro and make it so that everyone needs to focus on keeping themselves alive, the usage of those situational abilities becomes the norm, instead of the deviation of pattern (which in wow is fulfilling your role). I agree with people here saying that combat will be more interesting in GW2 mainly because of that factor. We all need to keep ourselves alive and for that we will have to use everything at our disposal, MOST OF THE TIME. And when not doing that, try to squeeze in some more dps.

It's a shift in paradigm that flips your priorities from your mini-game of rotations and priorities to another of dodging and keeping your enemy at bay.

I for one find it more interesting to keep my eyes mostly on what's going on before me and briefly to my cooldowns and procs than focusing on my cooldowns and procs and paying attention to the random inconstant occurances on screen that I need to act on, briefly.
    The thing is that, in GW2, unlike in WoW, you don't have THESE buttons doing damage and THESE buttons doing slows and THOSE buttons doing defensive moves.

Your moves that do damage are the ones that do slows. Your moves that do damage are the ones that apply AMS.
    If you use all of your abilities on cooldown to maximize your damage, it just might follow that you can't use a knockback when you most need it.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Quite interesting. I don't know what to say about the auto option for all skills, I can understand having your heal and one ability there but being able to make all auto? Hmmm... kind of overwkill, will make some people actually do that and not play, just target mobs and then wait. I do admit that mobs are hard from what I see, but don't know, the auto option on all skills seems overkill to me.

That said, it's nice to see there's actually a challenge even out in the world, you can be swamped by more then 2 mobs and such even if you know how to play. I like that. I do admit it will be slightly annoying when exploring stuff just for the view if there's tons of hostile things, but it's ok, a challenge is always welcomed.
    It's no big deal about the auto cast thing. They even said in the video it might be helpful occasionally but the spells are going to get wasted a lot when you auto cast things. Just making things noob friendly and honestly whats the benifit to auto casting anything besides you filler spell? everything else is going to be situational.

Aye being able to roll things gets old after awhile and at least a moderate challenge every once in awhile is nice. From the videos I've seen it doesn't seem too hard to actually run past things as the mobs seem to have at least similar run speeds to the play and there doesn't seem to be a daze mechanic if you get hit in the back (god damn I hate that in WoW).
    "Haters give me balance, every Kyle's got a Cartman." -George Watsky

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    You can only have the autoattack option active on one skill at a time. If you have it active on your 1-skill and then activate it on your heal, it is no longer active on your 1-skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Falkman View Post
    You can only have the autoattack option active on one skill at a time. If you have it active on your 1-skill and then activate it on your heal, it is no longer active on your 1-skill.
    Not exactly true. You can use that for all your skills, but only one at a time, if I understood well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    PS: If you detect ANY irony or sarcasm in this post AT ALL, please report it to captain.obvious@youdontsay.com

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarasun View Post
    Not exactly true. You can use that for all your skills, but only one at a time, if I understood well.
    Except that's exactly what he said. You're not contradicting him, you're parroting him with a smaller sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Falkman View Post
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-04-19 at 06:21 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by sarasun View Post
    .. that's exactly what he said.

I'm tired, sorry. Rereading it...yeah
    PS: If you detect ANY irony or sarcasm in this post AT ALL, please report it to captain.obvious@youdontsay.com

I'm going back to the discussion a couple pages ago where we were talking about projectiles 'heat seeking' to people, and whether or not there were avoidable projectiles.

Most projectiles can be avoided, blocked, reflected, or intercepted by the environment or other enemies. A few projectiles auto-track the target as it moves. Projectiles will travel further if they are fired from a height.
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Projectile

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I'm going back to the discussion a couple pages ago where we were talking about projectiles 'heat seeking' to people, and whether or not there were avoidable projectiles.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Projectile
    This is one of those things i really wanna test to the limits.

Do projectiles track? And how far? Can you outstrafe a ranged attack? If yes, at what point/distance? When does an ability count as "landed", meaning how long do i have to Evade? Do i auto-turn or do i have to "aim" myself in the prope general direction? Whats the deal with the channeled abilities that are not channeled in the more traditional sense? (such as Unload from Thief)

So many questions related to combat mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    This is one of those things i really wanna test to the limits.

Do projectiles track? And how far? Can you outstrafe a ranged attack? If yes, at what point/distance? When does an ability count as "landed", meaning how long do i have to Evade? Do i auto-turn or do i have to "aim" myself in the prope general direction? Whats the deal with the channeled abilities that are not channeled in the more traditional sense? (such as Unload from Thief)

So many questions related to combat mechanics.
    Only one more week, and they shall be answered!

The thing is that, in GW2, unlike in WoW, you don't have THESE buttons doing damage and THESE buttons doing slows and THOSE buttons doing defensive moves.

Your moves that do damage are the ones that do slows. Your moves that do damage are the ones that apply AMS.
    If you use all of your abilities on cooldown to maximize your damage, it just might follow that you can't use a knockback when you most need it.
    You forget utility slots. Most of these are the "AMS-like" skills, without the damage requirement.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if most of the min-max builds would aim to gain some survivability from utility slots instead of stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    You forget utility slots. Most of these are the "AMS-like" skills, without the damage requirement.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if most of the min-max builds would aim to gain some survivability from utility slots instead of stats.
    Don't forget you can change utility slots as long as you're not in combat. People will be switching those from fight to fight, at least good players will.

10+ Year Old Account

Their CDs are long enough that you shouldn't 100% rely on them, however.

Their CDs are long enough that you shouldn't 100% rely on them, however.
    That's what dodge and positioning is for. I'm used to WoW-style 2-3 minute survival CDs over GW1 5-30 seconds survival CDs anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's what dodge and positioning is for. I'm used to WoW-style 2-3 minute survival CDs over GW1 5-30 seconds survival CDs anyway.
    Flat out "survival CDs" for your utility slots are few and far between. Guardians for example only really have 2 that isn't a boon or buff. and one of those has a 3 minute cool down. (and might be an error of the tool, seeing as how sanctuary used to be an elite skill.)
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2012-04-21 at 03:43 PM.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

WoW is balanced for WoW CDs though, GW2 is balanced for GW 5-30 second ones :B

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    "I don't want to give away any spoilers, but you'll have something bust out of a wall that you didn't know was there, then suddenly you'll have this event basically saying 'deal with it'."
    So let's get back to this. Which developer said it, and what do memorable image needs to be attached to "deal with it" to make it a good meme? :P

So let's get back to this. Which developer said it, and what do memorable image needs to be attached to "deal with it" to make it a good meme? :P
    Guardian knocking someone off of something tall. Deal with it!