Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Cost of radiant star, 40 million?

A radiant star gem will cost 40 million to to combine from 1.6 million chipped gems...

The 1.6 million is from 3^13 = 1.6 million (that's 3*3*.. 13 times ending with 1 at the end)

The 40 million is because, to turn 3 chipped into a flawless it's 50 gold, to turn 3 flawless into a regular it's 50*3 + 50 = 200 gold. To turn 3 regular into a flawed it's 200*3 + 50 = 650 gold. I don't know how to turn that into a math problem so I created a gem calculator and it tosses out the 40 million number. Pretty insane?

I was honestly surprised since Blizzard has set precedence for making everything in their games accessible to casual players. I'm not sure how these numbers will work out for casuals, to say the least Either way this is good news because it's going to create a very challenging obstacle to max characters.

of course you can find up to L5 gems by fighting stuff so it will require only 19,683 perfect gems and 1/2 million gold to combine into a radiant star. All this assumes that the base gem is worth 0 gold. If it's even 1 gold in cost it'll increase the price by.. a lot.

I think thats kind of the point. Getting those gems wont be worth it until you are getting up into the inferno stages. Also imagine having 6 (which i believe is the max gem slots...could be wrong) of those in your gear.

For comparison

Perfect amethyst (T5 gem) +9% Life +22 Vitality (1vit=10hp so 220hp) 6 of those would be +56%hp and 132 vit (1320 hp)

Radiant Star amethyst (T14 gem 19,683 perfects to make) +18% life +58 vitality 6 of these would be +108% hp and +348 vit (3480 hp)

These are massively powerful gems and really shouldnt be easy to get nor readily available until deep endgame until then id imagine, depending on gem drop rate, that T7-9 will be the average gem people use.

Deleted
    Blizzards formula is not "cater to casual", it's "easy to learn, hard to master" and this, although not skill but time intensive, fits the bill.

15+ Year Old Account
    Diablo doesn't have any proper content like raids. After capping only thing driving you forward is upgrading your gear from killing stuff. Now what would be the idea of getting all the best stuff in 1 month after release. There ain't gonna be content patch every few month to relieve your boredom.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYFioGqC2qQ - The true nature of finnish people

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifted View Post
    Diablo doesn't have any proper content like raids. After capping only thing driving you forward is upgrading your gear from killing stuff. Now what would be the idea of getting all the best stuff in 1 month after release. There ain't gonna be content patch every few month to relieve your boredom.
    We all know something like nine out of ten raiders keep raiding pretty much only to upgrade their gear, and couldn't care less whether they're fighting stick figures or some awesome dragon with awesome lore, so as such Diablo doesn't really differ from an MMO with raids.

As for content patches, D2X came out one year after D2, and there were some patches in D2 which added some new items. However, since then Blizzard has had WoW, with it's content patches, so who's to say D3 won't have something similar?

Deleted
    40 million i think will not THAT hard over the time

noone know now how much money drop in higher lvls but i saw in beta in first 10 lvls with goldfind buff 50-70 gold per mob - dunno but think later u find 500-1000 or more per mob

AND

a game like diablo need a goldsink

While being a little different being beta and the market not being the same as it will be when it goes live, but. My girlfriend and I farmed over a million gold when it was open beta weekend (I didn't have an account so it was the only time myself and her could farm rares together). I dislike how they didn't bring down gold amounts down, gold will be valuable but its in such large numbers it doesn't feel that great. Classic wow and BC were perfect, couple thousand pre bc was a lot, and even late BC being gold capped was pretty bad ass at 214k. Here we will have up in the hundreds of millions, eventually billions of gold, such large numbers just make it underwhelming . Was one of the few things I had hoped they would have changed about the game.

EDIT: This was within one days time farming the rares mind you. Took a few hours, to farm the rares and over the weekend I sold them. Still....thats a huge chunk of gold for being only level 13. I actually had too many rares and we wasted a lot of time lol, I still have about 20 rares I haven't even sold yet.
    Last edited by Haiatu; 2012-04-27 at 09:06 AM.

Deleted
    Well stuff like this will definitely help gold not be "worthless", which is something a lot of people seem to worry about.

I guess it will depend whether higher level gems actually drop in the higher level difficulties that we won't know about yet.

There was a blue post about gold the other day though which mentioned stacks of 200-400 gold dropping off mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    There was a blue post about gold the other day though which mentioned stacks of 200-400 gold dropping off mobs.
    I read that blue, in the same post he said it would be spent before it hit the ground. I have my doubts, but we can be hopeful I suppose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiatu View Post
    I read that blue, in the same post he said it would be spent before it hit the ground. I have my doubts, but we can be hopeful I suppose.
    Upgrading your artisans and crafting gear will cost a massive amount of gold, add to that repair costs from dying a lot in Inferno, and having to spend a lot of gold on gem upgrades I think he might be very right. However, obviously there comes a point where one will earn more than spent.

Deleted
    It depends on deaths and repairs really I think. At some point you are going to be maxed out on crafting/stash, and you're going to have "good" gems in your gear, if not "the best ever in the game" (hopefully that takes a long time to get those!) and at that point it comes down to how often people die and how much repairs actually cost.

Hopefully the gear repairs are high, maybe even too high. To allow gold to continue being valuable beyond upgrading your stash/crafting. I just don't see repairs being enough once those are maxed, and gear is set. Gold will just accumulate and never stop accumulating. This again all revolves around Inferno being insane hard, which that's another thing I pray for. I pray its brutally hard and demanding beyond anything they've done. Its going to have to be for repairs to keep up with gold accumulation. I hate the waiting game, can it be the 15th yet ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiatu View Post
    Hopefully the gear repairs are high, maybe even too high. To allow gold to continue being valuable beyond upgrading your stash/crafting. I just don't see repairs being enough once those are maxed, and gear is set. Gold will just accumulate and never stop accumulating. This again all revolves around Inferno being insane hard, which that's another thing I pray for. I pray its brutally hard and demanding beyond anything they've done. Its going to have to be for repairs to keep up with gold accumulation. I hate the waiting game, can it be the 15th yet ?
    I think it's pretty safe to say that those that are good at the game will earn more gold than spent it. Having said that Jay Wilson admitted in an interview in Korea when asked "Have you beaten inferno" that he hadn't; neither solo or in a four man group. Inferno difficulty might just be very difficult. However we won't find out until we get there and right now that's of course pure speculation.

Well also, you don't have to combine all the way up from chipped to radiant star. I am pretty sure we can get even stars and perfect squares in inferno off of drops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

Deleted
    i have a question about gems actually, can you freely take them out of gear and move them about? or are they locked in like in wow?

Deleted
    In D2 they were locked in like WoW, but more than that, you couldn't overwrite them, so if you socketed something with a chipped and got a flawed, you couldn't replace it. I'm hoping/guessing that they'll follow the WoW model and allow you to overwrite, otherwise I could see someone hanging on to socketed gear for months before farming the gems to use it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaino View Post
    i have a question about gems actually, can you freely take them out of gear and move them about? or are they locked in like in wow?
    The jeweler can unsocket them I believe so you never destroy your gems, you can move them when you upgrade the gear

Gold will come very fast, I suspect, especially if you take advantage of the AH at all, so that doesn't seem too unreasonable to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is a Radiant Star?

Quote Originally Posted by Eorayn View Post
    What is a Radiant Star?
    The maximum level of a gem. Think the Zod rune of gems.