Thread: SWTOR Podcasts!

10+ Year Old Account

SWTOR Podcasts!

PODCASTS UPDATE
    Many of the SWTOR podcasts have gone under some changes. This is a brief review of my favorite SWTOR podcasts. Give them a try!

TORWars
    While some podcasts have cut back to once or twice a month, TORWars has increased their weekly podcasts since the dropping of 1.3. The provide us with a 30min. news podcast and +60min. podcast with insight and commentary. This one is quickly becoming my new favorite.http://torwars.com/

Cantina Band
    Cantina Band is now a weekly podcast! Adam is a huge Star Wars fan and serves up great commentary. He comes from the perspective of not playing WoW, but sticking SWG to the end. This podcast has greatly improved now that it is on at a regular time. http://thecantinaband.com/

Mos Eisley Radio
    This podcast is currently in a state of limbo as they reconfigure the MER community. http://moseisleyradio.com/

The Ossus Academy
    This podcast is in the Mos Eisley Radio family of podcasts and has a unique approach. The hosts on this podcast focus on lore. They explore topics found in the expanded universe and tell you how it relates back to SWTOR. Recent podcasts feature the entire back story of the Jedi, Sith and the Chiss. They have also explored the SW lore that has appeared in just the SW video games as far back as the early 90s and some of the lesser known playable races in SWTOR. Each episode they give a recommended reading list of that podcast’s lore topic. http://moseisleyradio.com/category/ossus-academy/

The Instance: TOR Edition
    You can’t go wrong with a Frogpants Studio podcast. This podcast has gone to a twice a month format. Scott Johnson is with his pal Dills from their WoW show plus a rotating 3rd chair of guests (sorry no Turpster in SWTOR). They focus on news, rumors, and game play. They use a critical yet appreciative point of view. Each episode features a “tough questions” section where the hosts debate aspects of game play and whether, or not, this is a good thing for SWTOR. The accompanying guild is one of the largest, if not THE largest, multi-game MMO guild: Alea Iacta Est (AIE). http://theinstance.net/tor/

Sunny’s Diner
    Sunny Ravencourt is solo now and presents a podcast for “the rest of us”, which in this case is the casual gamer. Excellent broadcast quality and humor. This podcast is geared towards the gamer that has a career and/or family that is #1, as it should be. They play on The Shadowlands in the large guild: Old Republic Dads. Sunny has moved his podcast to the TORWars network.http://torwars.com/

Sith Heads
    This podcast has an interesting perspective. Mike is an experienced MMO gamer and Nicole is a geek-mom and an MMO noob. The juxtaposition of the two view points makes it entertaining. http://www.sithheads.com/
    Last edited by Phood; 2012-07-14 at 06:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are there any podcasts depicting hardcore raiding and its current progression in difficulty as content patches are released?

10+ Year Old Account
    Should probably mention the official podcast, though there's only 1 episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdrlnR0A_A4&feature=plcp

Thanks for the info, can't wait to listen to these.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    Are there any podcasts depicting hardcore raiding and its current progression in difficulty as content patches are released?
    Rawrcast's Republics Most Wanted talks a lot about end game hardmodes and PvP strats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thneed View Post
    Rawrcast's Republics Most Wanted talks a lot about end game hardmodes and PvP strats.
    I'm going to have to check it out. By the way, I'm from Ohio as well ;P

I enjoy www.torocast.com

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned.

10+ Year Old Account
    And why hasn't The Republic been mentioned? They're an awesome podcast!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootyclap View Post
    I enjoy www.torocast.com

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Byrogan View Post
    And why hasn't The Republic been mentioned? They're an awesome podcast!
    I guess that was my hopes in starting this thread. Fans would share the good ones and not the bad ones. There are some really bad ones out there. Poor sound quality, too many hosts, boring tone of voice.

Deleted
    love PODCASTS yeH BABY!

Hmm my podcast! Ha.

Nothing but TOR This podcast is completely dedicated to the 'endgame' hardcore player. Also you can check us out at TGN.tv

10+ Year Old Account
    Listened to the latest episode of TOROcast. Um, yeah, these guys have a lot of insight and ideas, but are really negative and admitted they don't really play that much anymore. I don't mind people looking at something with a critical eye and making commentary, but you have to wonder why they are doing a podcast if they dislike the game so much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thneed View Post
    Listened to the latest episode of TOROcast. Um, yeah, these guys have a lot of insight and ideas, but are really negative and admitted they don't really play that much anymore. I don't mind people looking at something with a critical eye and making commentary, but you have to wonder why they are doing a podcast if they dislike the game so much.
    Or the fact that they are making a podcast about a game they don't play often. I play a lot, so I won't listen to someone who doesn't put in the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Dahakas

Great podcast! Definitely aimed at the more hardcore, gear collector player. Good production and co-hosts.

LOve podcasts <3

Looks like the official podcast might be getting some love.

Originally Posted by SWTOR

Hello everyone! My name is Eric Musco and I, along with Brooks Guthrie are happy to bring you episode one of the official Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ podcast, “Rocket Boots”. You can listen by using the embedded player, by downloading and listening on your preferred MP3 player, or check it out on our YouTube channel.

In this episode, we sit down with Daniel Erickson and Damion Schubert to talk about what we saw in Game Update 1.2 and what we can expect as we look forward to Game Update 1.3. Also, David Bass stops by to tell us about how things went at PAX East and share some of our convention plans for the rest of the year. If you have any questions or comments about the show, feel free to let us know in this forum thread.

Thanks for listening!

Source with the podcast

Warning, I mostly listen to podcasts as background during work, playing tor, or road trips, so I'm not going to say that my thoughts are based upon 100% accurate rememberings. They are based on things/thoughts that hit me at times while listening to anything I'm commenting on. If my recollection differs from others, feel free to disagree, but don't take it personally or as a remark intended to slander others.

The main podcasts I listen to are TOROCast and The Republic. I do my best to watch The Republic "live" at 8pm central on the game breaker website. Part of this because the pre and post show bits often contain funny or interesting discussions that aren't included in the "recorded for later" show and/or the mp3 made available for download. The PVP discussion on TR is probably the best I've listened to, largely due to Taugrim. If you don't like Taugrim, avoid TR and save the world some trolling. Larry brings the "I enjoyed swg" view point which is one you don't hear from much outside of some forum posts that always degenerate into hate fests (on both sides). Sado (sp?) from DH brings a pretty well informed viewpoint and seems to be a "regular" guy, at least as regular as a tor fan who runs a website can be Gary Gannon.....you either like him or you hate him. IMO he usually adds some humor and it's clear he enjoys doing the shows and playing games. All of the above are (IMO) honest/realistic. I don't go for BW apologists and these guys are pretty fair, again IMO.

The TOROCast guys have had RL hit kind of hard lately. Considering how long they've been doing the cast, it's not surprising that there will be times where they play less and times where they play more. Overall, I personally don't consider them negative, just realistic/honest. They have frustrations like many of "us" (players) do. I'm giving them some more eps to see if RL lightens up and they're able to play more. Really though, I enjoy their banter, so regardless of the content, I'll likely keep on listening. I do prefer a realistic outlook on games when folks cover them.

I enjoy The Instance, but it kind of irks me when they clearly haven't googled to see how something works that they spend more than 60 seconds discussing, and they seem to play as often as the TC guys. They don't have max level characters so they can't even speak to pvp or fp's / ops. They do a good job of offering their own style of banter, but right now it seems to be more of a podcast about a single player rpg and uninformed / wishful speculation.

MER and DH are also good listens. I don't listen to them as often as the above (TR and TC), mainly because I've been avoiding the eps where BW staff are on board or the description indicates they're going to talk about a topic that riles me up (Legacy). Due to that, some eps have dropped off my phone before I've taken the time to listen (I keep most current only). When I do listen (again, usually in the background at work), I do get the jones to get in game. So they do succeed at bringing good stuff and good banter.

Overall, what I look for is something done by people who aren't fanbois, aren't BW apologists. It's possible to discuss the negative and still play the game because it is the only MMO that offers you a few key things. For me those things are Star Wars, my guild from SWG, role based group content (I have no problem with the trinity), and "not elves and dwarves."

Thanks for the RMW recco and nothing but TOR. I've already listened to the most recent RMW and ended up hitting the sub button. Looking forward to seeing what NBT has to offer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone have any info on The Republic and Nothing But Tor. They haven't put an episode on iTunes in forever. I tried to google them and look up info on their websites, but I didn't see anything.

The Republic is on gamebreaker.tv. Last episode was on July 3rd

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/video-game...itical-of-1-3/

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    The Republic is on gamebreaker.tv. Last episode was on July 3rd

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/video-game...itical-of-1-3/
    When the host proposed "cross-server heroics" I couldn't help but cringe.

He clearly doesn't realize that heroics are just 2-4 man planet quests. They can't be "cross-server".

Hes probably just reading what his intern is telling him on steam chat or something.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -